When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s part of the issue in general as the Left (or Liberals) haven’t yet found a way to cut through and appeal to that swathe of the electorate. Whilst it might work to us shouting ‘look how racist that leader is, look how many are dying because of them’ it doesn’t work on those voters. Pointing how rubbish they are might just do it but you also need something that people can cling onto an idea that swings people back round and effective way of delivering that message.

However Biden doesn’t need to win those people, Hilary lost because certain Dem voters stayed at home. If they turn out to vote Biden wins. 

Theres also one battle that Biden isn’t facing and that is sexism. 

There will have been many voters with an old fashioned mindset that will have refused to vote for Hilary because they wouldn’t want a woman leading the country. 

It’s a shocking attitude but when has America been at the forefront of progressive thinking. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m a bit worried that if Trump loses he will go apeshit during the post-election period when he’s still president and start nuking everybody. I wonder if another 4 years of him would be better than an angry Trump with the launch codes 

You can’t have that mentality. Trump wins then.

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Trade deal possibly.  I don't think the US election has much bearing on the Brexit negotiations.

That’s the trigger point. If the trade deal changes then the government has to reassess it’s Brexit negotiations and concentrate on relations with the EU. 

12 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Genuine question but what is so wrong with the u-turns. I personally prefer these than ploughing ahead with stuff that is just wrong. Seriously would we have not all welcomed a u-turn on the Cummings saga?

I bloody really dislike this government but fair is fair. I have no issue with them changing their mind so that we get a better outcome and by tarnishing this as bad is going to be surely worse in the long term (they may not change bad decisions due to concern about these connotations).

For me it’s how heavily they commit to the thing in the first place. They do interviews insisting it’s the right thing, shout down anyone making the opposing point, mock them for being stupid, say they’re definitely not u-turning this one...

It’s fine, even good, for a government to make this many u-turns. But you need some humility to go with it. You need to stop acting like you have all the answers when you clearly don’t.

11 hours ago, gizmoman said:

As you explained earlier it's linked to your mobile phone so your ID is used when presenting your test result to whoever requires it. The point is , that we have now decided to require the individual to PROVE they are fit to participate in society, there is another way, we can shield those that are at risk and  allow everyone else to continue to enjoy a free existence.

But why should those at risk be excluded from society, because you don’t want to participate in proving that you are not a risk to them?

There’s essentially two groups of people: those at risk, and those that don’t want to participate in any scheme that allows them to be tracked.

One of those groups has to lose out here. My default position is it should be the group where membership is a choice, rather than the group where people belong to it purely through bad luck (and are already disadvantaged because of it).

I would be interested to here why you think your freedom from monitoring trumps the vulnerable folks freedom to exist in society?

56 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m a bit worried that if Trump loses he will go apeshit during the post-election period when he’s still president and start nuking everybody. I wonder if another 4 years of him would be better than an angry Trump with the launch codes 

they have checks and balances in place to prevent any of that...I'd be more worried that he loses but only by a small amount and says the election was rigged..and then Trump supporting, gun owning, nutters take to the streets

30 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If Biden wins will the trade deals be off the table and will Brexit have to be renegotiated 

If Biden wins he'll be wanting a trade deal on very similar terms to Trump. ;) 

The stuff that Trump wants from a deal is the same stuff that the USA has always wanted - access to the markets and things they don't currently have access to.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If Biden wins he'll be wanting a trade deal on very similar terms to Trump. ;) 

The stuff that Trump wants from a deal is the same stuff that the USA has always wanted - access to the markets and things they don't currently have access to.

Biden will likely not be as much of a massive prick as Trump at the negotiating table.

"Not be as much of a massive prick" being the operative words there.

33 minutes ago, bamber said:

Biden will likely not be as much of a massive prick as Trump at the negotiating table.

perhaps not, but he'll be asking for identical things and using the available leverage he has to the same advantage as Trump.

The idea that a Biden victory somehow saves the UK from some of the worst aspects of brexit is very wrong.

Just now, eFestivals said:

perhaps not, but he'll be asking for identical things and using the available leverage he has to the same advantage as Trump.

The idea that a Biden victory somehow saves the UK from some of the worst aspects of brexit is very wrong.

I dont imagine much will change in terms of how it effects us in talks, but i think UK/US relations would improve without such a repulsive piece of shit like trump as president