When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Also, a very useful table below explaining the differences between the gold-standard PCR diagnostic test we have been using up to now and the rapid tests that will start to be rolled out over the next while. Time to shift the question from "am I infected" to "am I infectious"! I know I've been banging on about this for a while (sorry), but without a vaccine (and even with a vaccine it's going to take a while to vaccinate everyone), this is our best shot of really getting back to normal...rapid tests can be used for screening, confirmation by PCR if necessary, but it supports cheap, repeated testing to longitudinally monitor what is happening in our communities...

image.thumb.png.9222c7b36268f8f5b05fb296e83bae1f.png

Edit: Additional visual that helps explain...(the text in it is a bit facetious though, in theory, you should be self-isolating while waiting on test results and the rapid tests give more false positives and negatives, but are useful for routine monitoring)...

image.thumb.png.f6f34c14403732ec52e755e81111e655.png

That is absolutely brilliant - it makes so much sense and really does fit the current situation where one person will get ill, they test their entire workplace and find loads of their colleagues "have" it but may never have known without the tests.

Sounds like a really logical way to move forward - I really hope they just play this one straight as it is genuinely a game changer- no more "creating chaos" to mask issues, no more dodgy contracts. Just get it done ffs. 

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That is absolutely brilliant - it makes so much sense and really does fit the current situation where one person will get ill, they test their entire workplace and find loads of their colleagues "have" it but may never have known without the tests.

Sounds like a really logical way to move forward - I really hope they just play this one straight as it is genuinely a game changer- no more "creating chaos" to mask issues, no more dodgy contracts. Just get it done ffs. 

Yep, seems the sensible way forward for me!

14 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

I’m making a new account fresh start and not coming out as Tory or gay as to not offend the stalins on this group

I’ve not seen any homophobic comments on here to you or anyone else, so I don’t know why you keep raising it as an issue. 

There are other Conservative supporters on here, so if you’re getting downvoted a lot, ask yourself why you are and not them. Glastonbury is a left-leaning festival so it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that a lot of people here have similar outlooks. 

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Also, a very useful table below explaining the differences between the gold-standard PCR diagnostic test we have been using up to now and the rapid tests that will start to be rolled out over the next while. Time to shift the question from "am I infected" to "am I infectious"! I know I've been banging on about this for a while (sorry), but without a vaccine (and even with a vaccine it's going to take a while to vaccinate everyone), this is our best shot of really getting back to normal...rapid tests can be used for screening, confirmation by PCR if necessary, but it supports cheap, repeated testing to longitudinally monitor what is happening in our communities...

image.thumb.png.9222c7b36268f8f5b05fb296e83bae1f.png

Edit: Additional visual that helps explain...(the text in it is a bit facetious though, in theory, you should be self-isolating while waiting on test results and the rapid tests give more false positives and negatives, but are useful for routine monitoring)...

image.thumb.png.f6f34c14403732ec52e755e81111e655.png

Professor, sprinkle us with wisdom from your gigantic brain :D

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

my concern is the amount of time it takes this country to do anything ....  the pandemic might be over by the time we get testing sorted :( 

My feeling on this is that it won't be government led, it'll be private enterprise that wants to properly open up that starts to require it. It could be part of mass monitoring of infection levels, but more likely that it will be available quicker as a means of engaging in elective activities (or, workplaces might see it as a useful tool to help create covid-secure environments for people to work in...notwithstanding the ongoing work from home vs the office debate!). 

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

My feeling on this is that it won't be government led, it'll be private enterprise that wants to properly open up that starts to require it. It could be part of mass monitoring of infection levels, but more likely that it will be available quicker as a means of engaging in elective activities (or, workplaces might see it as a useful tool to help create covid-secure environments for people to work in...notwithstanding the ongoing work from home vs the office debate!). 

ah right .... no chance for my workplace as we still have checkouts from the late 80s being used ..... but it will be good to get the general levels down elsewhere from more forward thinking employers and obviously testing in those risky environments like food production would also be of benefit to jump on the small outbreaks before they go further 

Edited by crazyfool1

24 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What’s the next exotic animal going to be that’s going to cripple the human race

We’ve had, Bird, Swine and Bat so far

I have always thought that a virus from one of the forests we are chopping down, something airbourne and that will  wipe most of us out

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ah right .... no chance for my workplace as we still have checkouts from the late 80s being used ..... but it will be good to get the general levels down elsewhere from more forward thinking employers and obviously testing in those risky environments like food production would also be of benefit to jump on the small outbreaks before they go further 

Exactly, widespread cheap testing in high risk environments will hopefully have a knock-on impact on general levels of the virus and take us another step back towards normal! (plus being able to use it to do things we enjoy!)...Some measures will probably remain in place for a considerable time where they are feasible though, I talked to someone at the checkout of my local supermarket the other day and she said she hopes they leave the screens there when all this is done! She's sick of people leaning over to her coughing and spluttering all the time! (pre-COVID obviously!)...So who knows what long-lasting changes will be made, but we seem to have reached the limit of what we can do just by using social distancing, masks and hand hygiene (with an increase in cases, but still seemingly manageable), so some smarter solutions needed for the next step. 

43 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What’s the next exotic animal going to be that’s going to cripple the human race

We’ve had, Bird, Swine and Bat so far

unnamed.gif.d18289aeab41b5ca1361541a7bb0fe10.gif

EDIT: Seems apt that my landmark 12,000th post should be a Simpsons gif.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Ah fair play. How would the Pangolin features be involved?

I know it was said that Pangolin is used in Chinese medicine and that is something the Chinese use alot (alternative medicines really popular) so if is come via bat - pangolin - human via medicine I could get behind that being a probably theory but I doubt we will never fully know

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Ah fair play. How would the Pangolin features be involved?

I think the current suggestion is that it hopped into pangolins for a bit, then hopped back into bats and from them to us. There's some data emerging now that it's been circulating in Vietnam for a few years! (maybe why they have been relatively untouched by this outbreak, but who knows)...

It’s about time something is done about China, I’m hoping India go to war with them NATO join in and destroy their country. I hate communists but I hate them for what their doing to Muslims and how their destroying Hong Kong, there a bully and needs a good few MOABS dropped on them to sort them out and put them back into the place they came from. There is one China and that’s the republic of China Taiwan not the terrorists on the mainland 

Edited by Sdsm123
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

image.thumb.png.c37703e030933123b941317fc38bb674.pngLess tests  -  more cases today.  Deaths and hospitalizations still low. 

Last time we were this high, there was a spike in a factory somewhere, anything like that today?

Not today but might be included in this week’s figures but my local greggs factory had a bit of an outbreak. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not today but might be included in this week’s figures but my local greggs factory had a bit of an outbreak. 

We need to do something about these factory outbreaks, how does it keep happening if work is "covid secure" and " safe to go back to" or did factories just never get any covid measures to begin with.