When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyone any idea if we get an update on how Oxford vaccine trial is going ? Or is it just a question of waiting and waiting now ? I thought october was the first date mentioned ... although I’m not expecting it ... 

Phase 3 trials starting in US right now. At the moment, they are expecting results from the UK and Brazil early November. 

A few rumours that the US may allow it to be used before the Phase 3 tests are completed

Edited by zahidf
  • Upvote 1

https://magazine.jhsph.edu/2020/developing-vaccine-sars-cov-2

The good news is that more than 125 vaccines are currently in development, according to the WHO. But most of these vaccines won’t make it to clinical trials, and many of those that do won’t be effective or safe enough to achieve licensure, says Peter Hotez, MD, PhD, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. He adds that predictions that a vaccine could be ready by the fall are unrealistic. “We won’t see our first COVID-19 vaccines until late 2021 at the earliest,” he says.

To make a vaccine, scientists must first understand the structure of the virus, how rapidly the virus mutates, and whether those mutations affect the immune response, says the Center for Immunization Research’s Kawsar Talaat, MD, an assistant professor in International Health. A potential vaccine must then undergo rigorous testing. The quickest a vaccine has been developed to combat a novel pathogen is four years. And there are still no effective vaccines for some pathogens, such as HIV.

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Phase 3 trials starting in US right now. At the moment, they are expecting results from the UK and Brazil early November. 

A few rumours that the US may allow it to be used before the Phase 3 tests are completed

I heard from a Manager in the NHS that the Government here is looking to make it available to those who are willing in November, with final certification in March.

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I heard from a Manager in the NHS that the Government here is looking to make it available to those who are willing in November, with final certification in March.

oh, so... what does that mean? its available for emergency use but not for general use?

26 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://magazine.jhsph.edu/2020/developing-vaccine-sars-cov-2

The good news is that more than 125 vaccines are currently in development, according to the WHO. But most of these vaccines won’t make it to clinical trials, and many of those that do won’t be effective or safe enough to achieve licensure, says Peter Hotez, MD, PhD, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. He adds that predictions that a vaccine could be ready by the fall are unrealistic. “We won’t see our first COVID-19 vaccines until late 2021 at the earliest,” he says.

To make a vaccine, scientists must first understand the structure of the virus, how rapidly the virus mutates, and whether those mutations affect the immune response, says the Center for Immunization Research’s Kawsar Talaat, MD, an assistant professor in International Health. A potential vaccine must then undergo rigorous testing. The quickest a vaccine has been developed to combat a novel pathogen is four years. And there are still no effective vaccines for some pathogens, such as HIV.

Late 2021? :(

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

oh, so... what does that mean? its available for emergency use but not for general use?

Yeah. More like an extended Phase 3 Trial without everyone being monitored. Effectively you Volunteer to take it before it’s offered to the wider public, maybe report back if you get any bad side effects. 

Basically they get ahead of the game in terms of having people vaccinated before the really starting on the general public.

Interesting bit will be how many people go for it. I suspect the ever increasing numbers who are getting impatient because they don’t see themselves as being seriously at risk will see plenty of volunteers if it’s sold as ‘this will get us back to normal quicker’

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah. More like an extended Phase 3 Trial without everyone being monitored. Effectively you Volunteer to take it before it’s offered to the wider public, maybe report back if you get any bad side effects. 

Basically they get ahead of the game in terms of having people vaccinated before the really starting on the general public.

Interesting bit will be how many people go for it. I suspect the ever increasing numbers who are getting impatient because they don’t see themselves as being seriously at risk will see plenty of volunteers if it’s sold as ‘this will get us back to normal quicker’

Ah ok. Id maybe be interested but loads depends on the evidence avialable at the time

12 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m not so sure! Those who aren’t at risk are by definition less scared of the virus, and hence less interested in getting vaccinated. 

Other than gigs and maybe going to the football, and nightclubs, is there anything we can’t do right now that you could when there’s a vaccine? 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m not so sure! Those who aren’t at risk are by definition less scared of the virus, and hence less interested in getting vaccinated. 

Other than gigs and maybe going to the football, and nightclubs, is there anything we can’t do right now that you could when there’s a vaccine? 

I'm not particularly at risk - I'd take it like a shot. I just want to get back to going to gigs, going to the football, standing in a busy pub as soon as we possibly can. I reckon I'd have that Russian vaccine!

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Relax?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'd be surprised if many on the boards here would be in line to get access to a vaccine any time soon. Unless you are at particularly high risk or in a front-line healthcare role where you are likely to be in contact with COVID patients, you'll be at the back of the queue when it comes to handing out the vaccine. You may never actually get it or want/need to (how many take the annual flu shot?...that will give you an idea of what take up will be like on here)...opening up gigs etc won't depend on everyone being vaccinated, just the high risk/vulnerable population. We're not trying to eradicate the virus, just stop people dying from it (as well as limiting hospitalisations). Even if the Oxford vaccine works, their manufacturing deal with AZ runs for 3 years, and that's for approximately 3bn doses. We still don't know whether 1 or 2 shots are required at the outset, nor whether it needs an annual boost, so, still loads to find out from the ongoing phase 3 trials. The discussion about EUA really centres on whether the FDA (and other regulatory agencies) are convinced by the phase 1/2 data and an emerging signal in terms of efficacy and safety from the ongoing phase 2/3 studies. If it looks promising, then it's possible the approve it for emergency use in the near term, with full approval down the line. It still won't get it available for most of us any quicker though!

Did someone on here say they want crowds back in Premier League stadiums from next month? Surely they need to announce details soon.

On a football note, it’s crazy how many lives Arsenal manager Mikel Arterta contracting the virus potentially saved. If he hadn’t got it, the Premier League wouldn’t have suspended itself and just think of the amount of crowds from so many corners that didn’t end up congregating or travelling all across England.

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I'd be surprised if many on the boards here would be in line to get access to a vaccine any time soon. Unless you are at particularly high risk or in a front-line healthcare role where you are likely to be in contact with COVID patients, you'll be at the back of the queue when it comes to handing out the vaccine. You may never actually get it or want/need to (how many take the annual flu shot?...that will give you an idea of what take up will be like on here)...opening up gigs etc won't depend on everyone being vaccinated, just the high risk/vulnerable population. We're not trying to eradicate the virus, just stop people dying from it (as well as limiting hospitalisations). Even if the Oxford vaccine works, their manufacturing deal with AZ runs for 3 years, and that's for approximately 3bn doses. We still don't know whether 1 or 2 shots are required at the outset, nor whether it needs an annual boost, so, still loads to find out from the ongoing phase 3 trials. The discussion about EUA really centres on whether the FDA (and other regulatory agencies) are convinced by the phase 1/2 data and an emerging signal in terms of efficacy and safety from the ongoing phase 2/3 studies. If it looks promising, then it's possible the approve it for emergency use in the near term, with full approval down the line. It still won't get it available for most of us any quicker though!

Hey man, it’s a new month. What’s  your confidence level for us the festival taking place next summer now?