When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Do you have a link to the watchlist? I find it interesting to keep updated.

I reckon Portugal will be added again next week!

https://www.reddit.com/user/sonicandfffan

This guy on reddit posts summaries every day. He only has data for the EU so cannot predict movements we’ve seen for Cuba, Jamaica etc. But he correctly called France two weeks ago, Croatia last week, Switzerland yesterday etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

https://www.reddit.com/user/sonicandfffan

This guy on reddit posts summaries every day. He only has data for the EU so cannot predict movements we’ve seen for Cuba, Jamaica etc. But he correctly called France two weeks ago, Croatia last week, Switzerland yesterday etc 

Thank you very much, this is really useful. I want to keep updated and see how germany is doing so someone making accurate predictions is very useful to follow!

In other news, my self isolation ended earlier in the week and I’ve tested negative for antibodies. Very surprised I’m not immune given the amount of time I’ve spent around covid positive people in recent weeks. Only explanation I think is that true asymptomatic carriers are genuinely not contagious (as opposed to presymptomatic carriers who are known to be highly contagious)

Had my first trip to the supermarket post isolation yesterday (Tesco by seven sisters tube). Mask compliance very good, 95%+ of customers had a face covering on including myself and my partner. 

Now before I start I know the below has differences but it made me laugh anyway

First news item 

People working from home must go back into offices to work, it is safe to all be in the office. Transport is fine and we can all crowd onto transport and be close together as it is now safe

Second News item (straight after)

Raves and parties are a bad things and please do not do it. It is not safe to all crowd together

12 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

@Fuzzy Afro The stats from the person on reddit contradict the ECDC. According to https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Germany and Italy have lower case rates than the UK, but according to the tables on reddit, Germany and Italy have worse case rates.

Do you know which is more accurate?

The numbers you link are 14-day average and Reddit is 7. So Reddit is more up to date but also more open to random fluctuations 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Transport is fine and we can all crowd onto transport and be close together as it is now safe

Apart from the fact that buses and trains are still running social distancing measures and here in West Yorkshire they are still at less than 50% capacity. Rush hour is not going to be fun for those public transport commuters. 

7 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm in both camps.  I'm not 'scared' of the virus given my own state of health and probability of how it would affect me, but I certainly don't want to be a transmission vector that could infect those I care about who aren't as robust, and by extension keep the bastard thing hanging around for any longer than it has to.

Equally I've got a massive chunk of my life back that was previously spent getting up at 05:30 and home at about 19:00, and travelling to an office I don't really need to be at in order to do my job effectively, and I'm pretty open about that with my bosses (as are they!).  I take my own food to work so apart from the occasional lunch from M&S I'm not spending anything.

This is my usual working day too, as have 76 mile round trip drive daily and have to leave very early to get through rush our traffic :( 

I'm finally back at work next week after 5 months on furlough which I'm relieved about to say the least - 3 days a week WFH thank god!! I'd rather WTF due to having no life during the week due to long commutes, the business seems to be want to keep under 50% capacity at all cost but do feel this is at odds with some management who don't think remote working is as effective as sitting next to someone... so they are being forced to comply rather than trying to embrace change.

it will be interesting to see how company policy changes over the coming months and i also won't be surprised if Tory donors pressure the Gov to drop restrictions so they can force people back into work (although I do think a lot of responsible companies will ignore them anyway)

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

1,276 cases and 9 deaths. I think we can now be more confident that the R number is marginally above 1, probably not enough to cause alarm but we do need the government to be alert to local spikes. 

14th September is the date to watch, will mark 2 weeks since the reopening of schools and most people will have come back from abroad holidays at the end of august so will be the key time to watch if there’s a national spike.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

1,276 cases and 9 deaths. I think we can now be more confident that the R number is marginally above 1, probably not enough to cause alarm but we do need the government to be alert to local spikes. 

Whitty said recently they aren't looking at the R rate as much 

22 hours ago, gizmoman said:

So you are quite open to the belief that oil and tobacco companies have in the past lied and manipulated public opinion for their own ends (knowing full well they were killing people), but you think that any suggestion that big pharma and the telecoms companies may be doing it now deserves to be dismissed as conspiracy theory? ...

We've had a smack on the wrist from 'steviewevie' for hogging his thread, so I've tried to keep this as concise as I can(!)

I believe the Oil and Tobacco industries lied and manipulated public opinion because I have seen strong evidence of this.  Specifically, I've seen impressively strong agreement amongst medical researchers that tobacco is a carcinogen (NB: the pre-1960 figures you quoted relate to US doctors - not the research community) and I've seen indisputable evidence that the tobacco industry paid the PR Industry and corrupt 'scientists' to distort the debate - e.g. internal tobacco company documents and witness testimony from those involved in this conspiracy.  (Yes - I used that word, because in this case... it demonstrably was.)  Exactly the same applies to the oil industry and man-made global warming - there is unprecedented agreement amongst the research community that it's happening, and we have indisputable evidence that the oil companies are funding the same misinformation strategy that the tobacco industry used, including internal oil company documents and witness testimony from those involved.  (It's all in that Radio 4 documentary I linked to.)

With regards to big pharma (by which, I'm assuming you're referring to the claim that their covid19 response is a profit-driven conspiracy?) and 5G, the opposite is true.  The scientific research community are in strong agreement that (1) covid19 is a highly contagious and deadly disease which risks overwhelming the world's health services if no remedy is developed, and (2) there is absolutely no scientific basis behind the health panic about 5G and, in particular, any linkage between 5G and covid19.  You will find 'research' which claims otherwise, but if you look at science journals (where claims are exposed to the scrutiny of the world's experts) the strong consensus view is that this is absolute bullshit.

The difference between me and a conspiracy theorist is that I acknowledge that I know very little about these issues, but I rely on the output of the 'scientific method' to decide what's bullshit and what's not - i.e. null hypotheses, experiment, data, published research in peer-reviewed journals, criticism, further research etc etc.  The second that you choose to doubt experts and the scientific method, you've cut your anchor and are now adrift in a confusing, complex sea of information where you're easy pickings for the bullshit-pirates.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

We've had a smack on the wrist from 'steviewevie' for hogging his thread, so I've tried to keep this as concise as I can(!)

I believe the Oil and Tobacco industries lied and manipulated public opinion because I have seen strong evidence of this.  Specifically, I've seen impressively strong agreement amongst medical researchers that tobacco is a carcinogen (NB: the pre-1960 figures you quoted relate to US doctors - not the research community) and I've seen indisputable evidence that the tobacco industry paid the PR Industry and corrupt 'scientists' to distort the debate - e.g. internal tobacco company documents and witness testimony from those involved in this conspiracy.  (Yes - I used that word, because in this case... it demonstrably was.)  Exactly the same applies to the oil industry and man-made global warming - there is unprecedented agreement amongst the research community that it's happening, and we have indisputable evidence that the oil companies are funding the same misinformation strategy that the tobacco industry used, including internal oil company documents and witness testimony from those involved.  (It's all in that Radio 4 documentary I linked to.)

With regards to big pharma (by which, I'm assuming you're referring to the claim that their covid19 response is a profit-driven conspiracy?) and 5G, the opposite is true.  The scientific research community are in strong agreement that (1) covid19 is a highly contagious and deadly disease which risks overwhelming the world's health services if no remedy is developed, and (2) there is absolutely no scientific basis behind the health panic about 5G and, in particular, any linkage between 5G and covid19.  You will find 'research' which claims otherwise, but if you look at science journals (where claims are exposed to the scrutiny of the world's experts) the strong consensus view is that this is absolute bullshit.

The difference between me and a conspiracy theorist is that I acknowledge that I know very little about these issues, but I rely on the output of the 'scientific method' to decide what's bullshit and what's not - i.e. null hypotheses, experiment, data, published research in peer-reviewed journals, criticism, further research etc etc.  The second that you choose to doubt experts and the scientific method, you've cut your anchor and are now adrift in a confusing, complex sea of information where you're easy pickings for the bullshit-pirates.

get off my thread

• Upvote 1

So most of Greater Manchester kept in lockdown until 11th Sept - massive political argument on lifting Trafford out given case rises in South Trafford rising, council and mayor furious given it was the Cons MP that pushed for it and didn't consult them on it - following the science indeed :huh: