When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

Didn't new zealand follow a zero covid strategy? seems like a smart move, I know the Uk isn't comparable to new zealand completely, but if we aimed for a zero case before opening up, this thread would probably be pretty dead right now

I think the issue is that it's endemic in the community now so basically impossible to get rid off without literally locking the entire population in their house for 4 weeks (like what china did)

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well yeah, if everyone had one less kid that would work. My point is that action at the micro level has nearly no impact unless it’s something that an awful lot of people do, and governments would need to be encouraging that. 

Unless more people give their heads a wobble and decide not to be selfish and knowingly do the worst thing for the environment, because they seem to think it's someone else's job to take responsibility for the world.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I'm the same but find myself forced to admit that someone going to Spain and spending two weeks on the beach is probably being safer all round than me going on holiday in the UK and trying to do sightseeing and experience stuff. (Hence not really doing that either)

Or having kids. The third big thing we need to stop doing that never really gets mentioned.

Just a comment on your last point, the birth rate is falling and is expected to continue falling, there was an article on the BBC recently and it was a real surprise what the predictions are for this century. 80% or so of countries will have lower populations, some of the figures were hard to believe, China down to something like 750 million, Italy 25 Million, there were a few places that would see massive growth (Nigeria i think) but generally there will be a big shift in the world's demographic with a lot less youngsters and a lot more % of post retirees. 

The push in the future will be to actually incentivise people to have more kids, a job for you young uns to enjoy ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53409521

Edited by The other Bellboy

7 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Just a comment on your last point, the birth rate is falling and is expected to continue falling, there was an article on the BBC recently and it was a real surprise what the predictions are for this century. 80% or so of countries will have lower populations, some of the figures were hard to believe, China down to something like 750 million, Italy 25 Million, there were a few places that would see massive growth (Nigeria i think) but generally there will be a big shift in the world's demographic with a lot less youngsters and a lot more % of post retirees. 

The push in the future will be to actually incentivise people to have more kids, a job for you young uns to enjoy ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53409521

well, we need to stop population growing....and so that means we need fewer people to be born...but also probably need fewer old people.
Plus, robots will be doing most of the work so don't need so many young people. And the Nigerians can do the rest.

Edited by steviewevie

16 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

Didn't new zealand follow a zero covid strategy? seems like a smart move, I know the Uk isn't comparable to new zealand completely, but if we aimed for a zero case before opening up, this thread would probably be pretty dead right now

NZ closed their border early doors (it's still closed, despite the fact that so much of their economy is dependent on tourism) and went into a lockdown fairly similar to ours. Anyone coming into the country (returning nationals only) had/has to quarantine for 14 days in a policed facility. They only reopened once cases were 0. They managed to get to 100 days covid-free, to the extent that they even had full rugby stadiums. Unfortunately they had a small outbreak in Auckland more recently (last I heard it was suspected it may have come in via freight).

Am I too much of a square here or is this just selfish?

My brother in laws parents live in Bolton (currently under restrictions) and have travelled down to the south coast this week. They are staying in a Premier or Travel Inn and have seen one of the grand kids that lives near Portsmouth and are now today going to see my sister, their son and my 2 nephews for lunch. Now this is going to be outside and socially distanced but they live in Bolton, why on earth do they think it's ok to travel down to a part of the country that isn't under tightened restrictions!?

I'd be interested to know other peoples thoughts, I think this is selfish or is it me?

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

My brother in laws parents live in Bolton (currently under restrictions) and have travelled down to the south coast this week. They are staying in a Premier or Travel Inn and have seen one of the grand kids that lives near Portsmouth and are now today going to see my sister, their son and my 2 nephews for lunch. Now this is going to be outside and socially distanced but they live in Bolton, why on earth do they think it's ok to travel down to a part of the country that isn't under tightened restrictions!?

I'd be interested to know other peoples thoughts, I think this is selfish or is it me?

If they're breaking the rules then you are correct (I can't keep up, which area is in lockdown now?).

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

if they're meeting people outside it's ok isn't it?

Just now, Homer said:

If they're breaking the rules then you are correct (I can't keep up, which area is in lockdown now?).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/north-west-of-england-local-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do

Bolton is under tightened restrictions however this is where it's wooly:

Can I travel outside of my area?

You should not travel outside of your area to meet people other than those in your support bubble, in their homes or gardens, or indoor public places.

You can still go on holiday outside of your area, but you can only do this with people you live with (or have formed a support bubble with).

Not that they will be thinking that they will just be ignoring what's in place.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

if they're meeting people outside it's ok isn't it?

Yes technically I think what they plan to do is ok, although why on earth people would think it's ok to leave an area with those restrictions I'll never know. The other issue is it's blowing a gale today so I don't know how they will sit and eat outside.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/north-west-of-england-local-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do

Bolton is under tightened restrictions however this is where it's wooly:

Can I travel outside of my area?

You should not travel outside of your area to meet people other than those in your support bubble, in their homes or gardens, or indoor public places.

You can still go on holiday outside of your area, but you can only do this with people you live with (or have formed a support bubble with).

Not that they will be thinking that they will just be ignoring what's in place.

yeah, so if they're meeting people outside then it's ok.

Might be last chance they get to visit family for a while, and sounds like they are still within the rules although admittedly a bit of a grey area. I say give then a break.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yes technically I think what they plan to do is ok, although why on earth people would think it's ok to leave an area with those restrictions I'll never know. The other issue is it's blowing a gale today so I don't know how they will sit and eat outside.

even better...blow all those nasty viruses away.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

even better...blow all those nasty viruses away.

lol I don't think it works quite like that but I appreciate the idea.

I don't see how they will sit outside. I will have to think about do I want to see my sister for a few days in case they have been in closer contact with people from that area. I'm also seeing a friend next weekend inside so I also have to think about him and any further possible risk.