When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wait till you get to QAnon. :wacko: 

Beyond lost the plot. The problem with QAnon is the belief that it is Trump who is the saviour of the world. Yes we know some dodgy stuff goes on (Epstein) etc - but to think Trump is out to protect us from these people? Sounds like something straight out of North Korean propoganda. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On a different note, I'm getting pretty annoyed by seeing and hearing news stories along the lines of "We cancelled our Spain/France holiday because of th quarantine and went to Croatia instead and now we're sad". It literally couldn't have been clearer that this is a risk at this stage.

I’m personally baffled by everyone jumping at the gate to go abroad. I get it. Not going away or going on holiday sucks. But like... read the room

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m personally baffled by everyone jumping at the gate to go abroad. I get it. Not going away or going on holiday sucks. But like... read the room

Yeah I'm pretty desperate to go away to to be honest, but I'm not because I just don't think it's worth contributing to the spread. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Here here.

But in fact I’ll go further and say I absolutely do not get it. There are some absolutely beautiful places in the UK. In a year when records have been broken for temperatures- maybe your weather isn’t spectacular now, but its hardly been a bad summer.

And what a missed opportunity for these people to reevaluate how they approach holidays and travel to the benefit of the environment.

If a fairly sizeable minority are unwilling to forgo flying abroad for their hols and change their habits during a pandemic then they’re hardly gonna do it for the environment- we are well and truly goosed.

When did it become a god given right and an imperative to go overseas on holiday? I’m not that old but when I was a kid (a couple of decades ago), it was not a given that you’d go abroad on holiday. Spoilt brats the lot of them. Peak tory behaviour.

• Upvote 1

Just now, mattiloy said:

Here here.

But in fact I’ll go further and say I absolutely do not get it. There are some absolutely beautiful places in the UK. In a year when records have been broken for temperatures- maybe your weather isn’t spectacular now, but its hardly been a bad summer.

And what a missed opportunity for these people to reevaluate how they approach holidays and travel to the benefit of the environment.

If a fairly sizeable minority are unwilling to forgo flying abroad for their hols and change their habits during a pandemic then they’re hardly gonna do it for the environment- we are well and truly goosed.

When did it become a god given right and an imperative to go overseas on holiday? I’m not that old but when I was a kid (a couple of decades ago), it was not a given that you’d go abroad on holiday. Spoilt brats the lot of them. Peak tory behaviour.

I’ll stop you there and say that if flying is going to need to be curbed to save the environment, the environment will die. They should look at developing electric planes, or trains that can go like 500 MPH. 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’ll stop you there and say that if flying is going to need to be curbed to save the environment, the environment will die. They should look at developing electric planes, or trains that can go like 500 MPH. 

Agreed. The high speed rail network in europe should be expanded massively. At the moment it mainly serves business travelers. They need to extend it for holiday makers and subsidise rail travel to help it compete with air travel. But its a big job.

In addition incentives for workers like an additional allowance of annual leave if you go somewhere by rail to cover the travel time or more flexibility for working from the train etc could be more common.

Edited by mattiloy

22 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Here here.

Other than the potential for transmission on a plane / at an airport, is it really any less safe to go on holiday abroad than in the UK?

The whole quarantine thing doesn't really make much sense to me, unless it's paired with a brilliant domestic track and trace system. I'm 0.2% more likely to catch it in France than Tesco so we quarantine all arrivals....

The problem is more the sorts of activities people do on holidays - they often involve going to crowded places, eating out and so on - but that's as likely to be a problem with a domestic holiday as it is with one abroad.

13 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Agreed. The high speed rail network in europe should be expanded massively. At the moment it mainly serves business travelers. They need to extend it for holiday makers and subsidise rail travel to help it compete with air travel. But its a big job.

In addition incentives for workers like an additional allowance of annual leave if you go somewhere by rail to cover the travel time or more flexibility for working from the train etc could be more common.

Can’t see employers going for that, needs government intervention and probably even multinational intervention.

By the same standards I refuse to go vegetarian for environmental reasons but I think politicians should look at taxing meat consumption more heavily. 

29 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Here here.

How do you intend to get to Glastonbury, assuming it goes ahead at some point in the future?

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

Just got petrol from Asda. As I walked to the glove dispenser and put one on the guy behind me leaned out his window and shouted, “DON’T BE SUCH A PUSSY” 

People are weird 😂 

People used the disposable gloves at petrol stations before the pandemic. Sometimes you just don’t want petrol on your hands. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They should look at developing electric planes

they already are, but they're unlikely to ever be able to provide the same cheap mass-flying that happens today.

And if you've ever tried having the "we'll all need to give up flying" convo with anyone, you'll know just how resistant some are to the idea ... so like @mattiloy said we're goosed. ;) 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

they already are, but they're unlikely to ever be able to provide the same cheap mass-flying that happens today.

And if you've ever tried having the "we'll all need to give up flying" convo with anyone, you'll know just how resistant some are to the idea ... so like @mattiloy said we're goosed. ;) 

Got as much chance of people giving up flying as the majority of us giving up meat. 

They are both going to happen but we can try to find better ways of facilitating those pleasures in life. 

12 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Just got petrol from Asda. As I walked to the glove dispenser and put one on the guy behind me leaned out his window and shouted, “DON’T BE SUCH A PUSSY” 

People are weird 😂 

should have walked up to him, coughed in his face and then laughed and walked off.

50 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Here here.

"In a year when records have been broken for temperatures- maybe your weather isn’t spectacular now, but its hardly been a bad summer."

Taking a holiday in the UK is a lucky dip for weather. Going to the med is guaranteed good weather. How does it help me if I have an annual week off in the UK and the weather is bad but was amazing the two previous weeks?

"When did it become a god given right and an imperative to go overseas on holiday?"

In what way is it spoilt to go on holiday? There's no evidence that if I go away and spend my time outdoors (as is my preference anyway) and social distance respectfully, I am aggravating any problem whatsoever.

It's far more nuanced that you make out...

ps I despise the Tories.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Here here.

I’m going to meet you in the middle here on your last point. I found that at my work my colleagues were the first people to run and book a holiday and get away, and these aren’t your typical bennidorm lot, these are your proper luxury holiday lot. I think it’s a simple case that some people don’t have much of a personality outside of spending money.

If they can’t take their annual photo of themselves on a boat with a glass of champagne they don’t know what to do with themselves. They’d definitely turn their nose down at a regional holiday.

I’ve come across so many people at work that are like we NEED to go to Spain, France, etc this summer and I don’t care if there’s a pandemic etc yada yada. 

Also what’s the bloody appeal? I’m a sightseeing kind of person. I like to go to events and see / do things when I go on holiday. I don’t really see the appeal of sitting on a beach for 2 weeks. Maybe this is a clash of personality. If I’m going abroad and I’m just going to be in my hotel all the time I don’t see the point. Seems like spending money just because you can.

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

People used the disposable gloves at petrol stations before the pandemic. Sometimes you just don’t want petrol on your hands. 

Very true. Hadn’t  twigged that at the time. Even more ridiculous heckle then 😂

Edited by whitehorses
Sp

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah zero chance people give up flying unless governments tax it prohibitively. Other than easy stuff like recycling, I don’t really do much for the environment myself. Not that I don’t care, but I just don’t really think I’m in a position to make any impact. I think it’s for the authorities to actually sort the problem. 

I also find myself wondering if attempts to revert climate change are pretty futile and maybe we’d be better off learning to adapt to our new climate rather than stop it from happening. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah zero chance people give up flying unless governments tax it prohibitively. Other than easy stuff like recycling, I don’t really do much for the environment myself. Not that I don’t care, but I just don’t really think I’m in a position to make any impact. I think it’s for the authorities to actually sort the problem. 

I also find myself wondering if attempts to revert climate change are pretty futile and maybe we’d be better off learning to adapt to our new climate rather than stop it from happening. 

I think we should do everything can to lessen the impact, as going to be devastating to many species.

Saying that, I do fuck all myself to help things so I'm part of the problem.

Maybe what we need is some sort of virus that wipes out most of the homo sapiens.