When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Any comments on this toilet duck?

Yep, once a range of neutralising antibodies were characterised, then development of antibody therapy was only a matter of time. There are lots of candidates with potent activity and unlike some of the vaccines, we have been using biological drugs like these to treat a range of diseases for years, so approval was always likely to be more rapid (plus you only get them if you are sick, so easier again to get approval). They won’t be cheap and I’d be surprised if the were used as first line treatment at all (some of the anti-cancer ones cost tens of thousands of pounds per course). Most of the data I’ve seen suggests a cocktail (Mixture of different antibodies) gives best results, so more expensive again. The flip side of course is the economic cost of not treating people with these and trying to manage the pandemic with lockdowns and the cheaper drugs we currently have, but expect these to cost at least a thousand times more per patient than a vaccine (and be entirely out of reach for much of the world). If they stop the sickest people from dying though, then they are a great addition to the therapeutic arsenal!

Edited by Toilet Duck

So looking forward to our camping holiday on Sunday in Norfolk - this has been cancelled/rearranged 4 times now due to our local lockdown which is now eased. But yesterday our son, who lives with us was sent home from work as someone on the night shift had tested positive and he works in the same room as my son on the day shift. Whilst there was no direct contact, to be on the safe side, he was asked to be tested. My son moved out during April/May as he has worked throughout and was concerned about us and wanted to minimise risk whilst the worst was happening - I certainly didn’t want him to but he insisted. So what bad luck all round. There was no way we would leave him on his own to go away on holiday even if we wouldn’t have had to self isolate for 14 days. He got tested yesterday and had a text through this afternoon...... negative! Relief all round.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

this is just people naming their contacts. No data on whether said contacts tested positive 

Ah yes - agreed, I definitely should have put potential transmissions. Still interesting that reported contacts are mainly household or are people not reporting work/leisure contacts or are they by nature statistically less?

7 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Ah yes - agreed, I definitely should have put potential transmissions. Still interesting that reported contacts are mainly household or are people not reporting work/leisure contacts or are they by nature statistically less?

they won't report the contacts in shops because they dont know them from Adam .... and its probably unlikely the 15 minute time period happens between customers and staff ...... and staff to staff the 15 minute contacts will be on breaks although im sure it will spread without this 15 minute thing ..... 

2 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I work for a local authority, and I have been heavily involved in the Covid Response since before lockdown. 

We were at one point third on the list of cases and marked as concern - this was largely due to out breaks at two large employers, which then leads to further testing and more cases etc... What people don't see, and doesn't get reported is the assistance these businesses then get the help they get from the local authority, public health England etc.. etc.. 

What an increasing amount of my time is now being spent on is identifying risk, gathering intelligence quickly so the response can be quicker outbreaks should now where I am at least start to be spotted in various settings earlier, meaning a faster response from the experts mentioned above which should stop or reduce the need for lockdowns think of it as an ultra local (specific building, employers etc) intervention . People should take comfort from the fact that these things are happening. 

The longer this has gone on more data is flowing and being shared from PHE that is ending up in the hands of local experts who are then able to take effective in the ground action the aim of every local authority should be to spot the signs of an outbreak before it becomes an outbreak if you do that you can avoid lockdowns as these aren't a silver bullet they don't stop the virus they just slow it. 

Where I am cases are increasing slightly but nothing scary at the moment the next challenge we are predicting is when the schools go back - but already intelligence is being worked on there to risk rate schools based on all manner of factors using a combination of the things they have put in place, the intelligence about the age of staff, demographic make up of pupils all sorts. 

For me personally, it's been an incredibly rewarding experience in a professional sense and given the data I have access to there have been some scary times but for where I live I feel it's being well managed by some incredibly clever hardworking people and we are perhaps starting to turn the corner when it comes to managing the virus rather than beating it. 

Just out of interest is Sheffield looking like going into local lockdown, I’m moving to Sheffield next month to go back to uni!?

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im gonna go with march  next year without distancing measures for gigs under 250 people 

It seems to be that's the time gigs are booked from. But it still feels like we're on the edge of knowing either way- if hospitalisations don't go up too much soon then we could be on our way to normality, but if things are bad over winter then maybe no chance of March or even next summer

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It seems to be that's the time gigs are booked from. But it still feels like we're on the edge of knowing either way- if hospitalisations don't go up too much soon then we could be on our way to normality, but if things are bad over winter then maybe no chance of March or even next summer

yep ... I think small gigs initially and then increases stepping up to stadiums and then festivals by June the 23rd .... based on decent numbers over winter as you say 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep ... I think small gigs initially and then increases stepping up to stadiums and then festivals by June the 23rd .... based on decent numbers over winter as you say 

Agreed, I think it will gradually build up but I'm feeling more confident we will have larger scale gigs/festivals by next summer at the latest. I'm also feeling better now about things as a whole becoming more normal in the spring

1 hour ago, Sdsm123 said:

Just out of interest is Sheffield looking like going into local lockdown, I’m moving to Sheffield next month to go back to uni!?

I don't know specifically about Sheffield - but what I do know is that hospitalisation is so low in South Yorkshire and some of the surrounding counties that anyone needing hospital treatment is being sent to the centre for infectious diseases at the Hallamshire. 

Cases have been falling for two weeks back to back but I think there has been a slight rise again. It was about 15 per 100k people I think. It was much higher before 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I don't know specifically about Sheffield - but what I do know is that hospitalisation is so low in South Yorkshire and some of the surrounding counties that anyone needing hospital treatment is being sent to the centre for infectious diseases at the Hallamshire. 

That’s great as I’m doing paramedic science at that’s our partner hospital! 

59 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im gonna go with march  next year without distancing measures for gigs under 250 people 

well that could work out ok for me as the 1st of my rescheduled gigs is next Feb at the Deaf Institute in Manchester which has that kinda of capacity with Goldfrapp the following month at Albert Hall in Manchester (capacity just over 2K)... I do hope it all comes to fruit in 2021 for gigs as personally don't like the idea of socially distanced gigs or festivals tbh

4 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

well that could work out ok for me as the 1st of my rescheduled gigs is next Feb at the Deaf Institute in Manchester which has that kinda of capacity with Goldfrapp the following month at Albert Hall in Manchester (capacity just over 2K)... I do hope it all comes to fruit in 2021 for gigs as personally don't like the idea of socially distanced gigs or festivals tbh

Please don’t hunt me down if I’m wrong :) just my guess at the moment ... next week or even tomoro ... I might have changed my mind ... today is a positive day :) 

4 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Whats Albert Hall like for a gig? Looking at doing the Bunnymen in June.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

This sounds a good bet to me. Put it this way, I’m not getting Bon Iver tickets for January.

25 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

That’s great as I’m doing paramedic science at that’s our partner hospital! 

Sheffield's a great city to live in mate... you'll love it. As a rule of thumb we tend to live by Magid Magids 10 commandments... our previous refugee mayor.

20200814_220829.jpg

• Upvote 1