When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, august1 said:

I'm pretty much still in lockdown and totally unaware of the current rules. If I go to someones house or meet up in the pub with them do I have to attempt to social distance or just crack on? 

It is “guidance” to keep 2m apart where possible or 1m+ (1m with face coverings/screens/facing away from each other)

It is also “guidance” that you should only meet with a total of 6 people (yourself and 5 others) either indoors in a home, or at a pub/restaurant.

Neither of these are legally enforceable as they are just guidance, however many pubs/restaurants will only allow tables of 6, but anecdotally, the 2 household concept is not being enforced in hospitality and there are no provisions to keep distance between people from different households even if they’re in the same group.

You MUST not attend a gathering of more than 30 people, indoors or outdoors. This is legally enforceable and attending such gathering is against the law.

TL;DR

2-6 people gatherings: Allowed and encouraged

7-30: Technically allowed but against the guidelines 

31+: Illegal 

again we are seeing localised spreading not widespread

why do people want to lockdown to march levels again, cases are not widely spreading out of control, yes they could, but they are not yet.

new drug information about monoclonal ( I think that is correct) is coming out and it looks very positive for treatments and could be a game changer.

people need to breathe and not go into an anxiety spiral like they are over a 0.1 increase in positive ratio increases. its not healthy.

hospital admissions still down in all of these hotspots and the increase started in Manchester over 3 weeks ago now.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Certainly raises questions about the accuracy of the figures, but as long as the number of positive tests that arose from the double counting of tests carried out have also been removed the net effect is zero change....I think.

15 minutes ago, pryce said:

why do people want to lockdown to march levels again, cases are not widely spreading out of control, yes they could, but they are not yet.

new drug information about monoclonal ( I think that is correct) is coming out and it looks very positive for treatments and could be a game changer.

people need to breathe and not go into an anxiety spiral like they are over a 0.1 increase in positive ratio increases. its not healthy.

hospital admissions still down in all of these hotspots and the increase started in Manchester over 3 weeks ago now.

I don’t think many are wanting a nationwide lockdown, where did you read that?

People here seem to be arguing for a slow long down of the easing of restrictions or a slight curtailment of some of the easing. Which combined with the schools reopening seems to be a completely fair viewpoint. 

Also telling people to ‘not go into an anxiety spiral’ doesn’t help and if anything does the opposite. 

Edited by Ozanne

16 minutes ago, pryce said:

I don't think anyone here has said they want a return to March lockdown?

40 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There isn’t any bad news if you don’t tell people about the news. 

Perhaps I'm a little naive but I'm not sensing too much of a cover up on the figures.  They are clearly recognising that counting is a bit f*cked up and are attempting to fix that for the better (certainly with the death counts).  I'm seeing the absence of figures for 1 day as a sign that changes are being made to make things better rather than hiding any bad news.

42 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I really think it's just motivated by the shit economic news. It's the last big opening phase essentially isn't it? Think they just want it done and over with.

Its definitely worrying though, especially with no figures released yesterday.

Some 'positive' news to help distract from the A level (and GCSE next week) debacle.

'Hey kids, you might have got screwed over on your results, but you can always go to a gig in a venue that isn't going to be open anyway because the venue can't make it work economically' 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Also telling people to ‘not go into an anxiety spiral’ doesn’t help and if anything does the opposite. 

Anxiety is a tough nut to crack. My mates ask me why I manage to stay chilled about my drama and I just deal with it by not overthinking it and deal with things as they happen and not worry about what could happen. Might seem like sticking my head in the sand but it works for me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Some 'positive' news to help distract from the A level (and GCSE next week) debacle.

'Hey kids, you might have got screwed over on your results, but you can always go to a gig in a venue that isn't going to be open anyway because the venue can't make it work economically' 

Let's go bowling! 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Anxiety is a tough nut to crack. My mates ask me why I manage to stay chilled about my drama and I just deal with it by not overthinking it and deal with things as they happen and not worry about what could happen. Might seem like sticking my head in the sand but it works for me. 

As someone who suffers with low-level anxiety, it's not being able to do any of what you describe that makes it tricky. Would love to be able to not worry! 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As someone who suffers with low-level anxiety, it's not being able to do any of what you describe that makes it tricky. Would love to be able to not worry! 

That’s the trouble with anxiety. It affects everyone differently. I’m quite lucky as I know what causes mine so can blame everything on that. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s awesome that that works for you. I just hate it when people ‘don’t feel anxious about that’ like it’s something I can easily turn off. I’m not saying you are saying this but that line of thought is quite dismissive of anxiety as a whole. 

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think this is the key to dealing with anxiety actually.

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Some of you might understand this nonsense. Apparently it's good.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6505/812.full

Most of it may as well have been in Mandarin however the final paragraph was certainly easier to understand:

In summary, SARS-CoV-2 infection in rhesus macaques induced humoral and cellular immune responses and provided protective efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 rechallenge. These data raise the possibility that immunologic approaches to the prevention and treatment of SARS-CoV-2 infection may in fact be possible. However, it is critical to emphasize that there are important differences between SARS-CoV-2 infection in macaques and humans, with many parameters still yet to be defined in both species, so our data should be interpreted cautiously. Rigorous clinical studies will be required to determine whether SARS-CoV-2 infection effectively protects against SARS-CoV-2 reexposure in humans.

Not sure about the people on the news who are abroad and are complaining that the quarantine rules have changed, we all knew that this could happen (I'd love to go abroad but haven't for this exact reason - seems more than a tad disingenuous).

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Not sure about the people on the news who are abroad and are complaining that the quarantine rules have changed, we all knew that this could happen (I'd love to go abroad but haven't for this exact reason - seems more than a tad disingenuous).

I have some sympathy for people who booked months ago before all this kicked off. They are kind of in a use it or lose it situation with their pre-booked holiday I guess. But yeah this is definitely a risk if booking from March onwards.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm not sure if it's just us Brits but we seem to have an odd obsession / arrogance that seemingly going abroad on holiday is so precious it must happen under any circumstance even during a global pandemic!

Some of these people need to give their head a shake.

Edited by JoeyT
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wonder how they're doing it then? Website seems to say nothing about Covid measures.

Not quite sure how they'll manage it. The main room is downstairs in a basement and holds less than 150 I would say, with those old skool old school chairs that link together at the sides. 

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I have some sympathy for people who booked months ago before all this kicked off. They are kind of in a use it or lose it situation with their pre-booked holiday I guess. But yeah this is definitely a risk if booking from March onwards.

I've got one hol booked from Dec last year, in Greece in Oct. It's a pain in the arse, but if I do choose to go, I can't really complain that I wasn't aware that this could happen.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I've got one hol booked from Dec last year, in Greece in Oct. It's a pain in the arse, but if I do choose to go, I can't really complain that I wasn't aware that this could happen.

Fair enough. I do broadly agree. I'd be able to quarantine quite easily if I went away as basically still at home all the time anyway, but we didn't have anything booked beyond April and May, which obviously both got cancelled. I wonder what I'd do in that situation. I have colleagues who have been to Spain and say they felt safer there than here.