When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Was around central london yesterday. the restaraunts seemed busy, but the pubs seemed half empty

The flipside is that the pubs in the suburbs are now doing well (I think). I live in zone 3 and every time I go past the pub near my local station with outdoor seating it's rammed. It's busier there on Monday nights now than it was on Saturdays in my experience pre-covid.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Any outbreaks in pubs are relatively small and few and far between, most large and more serious outbreaks are in things like factories, shouldn’t we therefore be shutting those instead?

Edit: A quick google of ‘coronavirus outbreak U.K.’ Shows the most recent outbreaks within the last day or two have been in a prison, a fabric factory, a bed factory, and amongst staff in a Tesco, but yeah shut the pubs anyway. 

Got to disagree with you there. 

People need to work especially with a recession on the way. Shutting factories down is the wrong path. Pubs are a lifestyle choice. You can survive without them. 

I’d prefer not to have my industry shut down because people are being irresponsible when they’re drunk. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I'm finding this part of the process particularly stressful. It was more straightforward in a lot of ways when everything was shut. Now I find myself trying to manage risk constantly with regards to visiting people, getting public transport etc. Two people very close to me are suffering with cancer and it's a constant struggle between seeing them and not putting them at risk so I just don't feel I can do anything that much that's normal as I'm always worrying about exposure and passing it on to people I really don't want to.

Just venting really, but it sucks to have so little trust in the government to handle a situation as serious as this. 

I get this. I just spent two weeks at home in the south west, one at my parent's house, and then a week with my brother and his wife/son in a rental in Cornwall. I found myself so easily falling out of 'covid-secure' behaviours, because everything looked and felt quite ordinary - despite still wearing masks everywhere, giving details at restaurants and whatnot.

I'm home again now and I've found my mind drifting to next year and potential holidays and thinking of when the family will all be together again... and then I remember we're still so far away from that being a safe or good idea. It doesn't feel like it though, to look at life going on pretty much as usual. It's so hard to know what is a reasonable thing to 'look forward to' - and I have always had something on the horizon, whether it was just a weekend at home, or a cottage booked somewhere in autumn or knowing that there is a family wedding next year... and right now I've got nothing. It's not a nice mindset to be in.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’d prefer not to have my industry shut down because people are being irresponsible when they’re drunk. 

What if your industry is the bar trade? Why should they be shut down because factory owners haven't put in the proper precautions? If spread is linked to bars (Aberdeen) then fine close the pubs if as in most cases it's linked to factories and meat processing then don't close the pubs.

Just now, Tartan_Glasto said:

I’ve noticed my barbers have started posting a lot more on social media trying to drum up business. I wonder if a lot of barbers have noticed a decline in customers coming back after lockdown as they discovered home haircuts. 

I bought some clippers. I've got to at least get my money's worth of cuts from them before I go back to the barbers. 

And there's something wonderfully scary about haircuts from the wife. :P 

Does anyone actually pay any the attention to the restrictions around meeting in other peoples houses etc? I'd be amazed if most people bothered. 

I am fully - been living at my parents for lockdown and we're carrying on as if locked down. Food shopping only in terms of indoor gathering locations and no visitors at all. My parents go over to my Grandad's twice a week to do stuff for him. Went to the pub to sit in the beer garden in a moment of weakness on Saturday but wont be doing that again til we leave.

Moving out in 2 weeks and we've just decided nobody in the house until it's over, nor going to others. The girlfriend will likely go to her parents place but that's her decision - I'm not coming back here nor going with her there til its safer.

This in the face of some friends trying to insist we have a housewarming party. Incidentally these people are currently in Rochdale and Oldham and are/always were carrying on completely as normal, including house parties and full on nights out. Fair to say I'm not surprised about a spike there

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Any outbreaks in pubs are relatively small and few and far between, most large and more serious outbreaks are in things like factories, shouldn’t we therefore be shutting those instead?

Edit: A quick google of ‘coronavirus outbreak U.K.’ Shows the most recent outbreaks within the last day or two have been in a prison, a fabric factory, a bed factory, and amongst staff in a Tesco, but yeah shut the pubs anyway. 

The outbreaks are "okay" though as long as they're managed. The retail is if someone working at Tesco gets it, most of the staff there will also get it. But those people can be quickly identified. In pubs that's not the case, especially as many aren't collecting the contact tracing info needed, and many others are giving fake details and such.

Essentially, it all sort of works if every household only goes to one place where they're at risk. So if you're working at home, no kids, it's "safe" to go to the pub (it's no more or less safe for you, but you won't pass it on to anyone else so on a nationwide scale it's fine). But if there's an outbreak in a school, and the kids pass it on to the parents, who all go to different pubs, who pass it on to various unidentifiable people there, then there's an issue.

It's why I'm *really* not a fan of the "stop working at home" thing going around. That's valid for maybe 3 more weeks. Then the kids are back in school and the more home-working the better.

(So yes, shutting the factories would also be beneficial)

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I am fully - been living at my parents for lockdown and we're carrying on as if locked down. Food shopping only in terms of indoor gathering locations and no visitors at all. My parents go over to my Grandad's twice a week to do stuff for him. Went to the pub to sit in the beer garden in a moment of weakness on Saturday but wont be doing that again til we leave.

Moving out in 2 weeks and we've just decided nobody in the house until it's over, nor going to others. The girlfriend will likely go to her parents place but that's her decision - I'm not coming back here nor going with her there til its safer.

This in the face of some friends trying to insist we have a housewarming party. Incidentally these people are currently in Rochdale and Oldham and are/always were carrying on completely as normal, including house parties and full on nights out. Fair to say I'm not surprised about a spike there

I think loads of people are in the same boat. We're still being very cautious - have had no-one round except our one local friend who lives alone and joined our bubble. All of us work from home, get groceries delievered. We've been in shops twice since the lockdown started, both times to pick up necessities we missed from the grocery delivery. 

The idea of going to a pub seems crazy.

We're thinking of having another friend around the weekend to play board games in the garden but aren't sure if that's wise. We might finally go see my parents the end of the month but we're still cautious about that.

Lots of people are doing the same. It's not reported, as it's not as exciting as the drunken revellers ignoring distancing in the pubs. But when you see how busy these pubs really aren't, it's quite obvious that a lot of people are taking the cautious approach. Especially as pubs and restaurants are open but the other things people do still aren't (gigs, evening classes, team sports, etc) yet the pubs are relatively quiet.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

and the more home-working the better.

(So yes, shutting the factories would also be beneficial)

Can’t work at home if you’re a factory worker. 

Manufacturing needs to continue. The furlough scheme is coming to an end soon and the economy is already on a steep downhill slope. 

I don’t know why bed factories in particular are being hotspots for the virus. 

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Manufacturing needs to continue. The furlough scheme is coming to an end soon and the economy is already on a steep downhill slope. 

While that's legit, can't we apply that argument to anything? Hospitality needs to continue, so the pubs need to stay open. And entertainment needs to continue, so gigs and festivals have to go ahead.

They're all part of the economy. Why is it more important to be building beds than putting on gigs?

again people do realise that there is increased testing at these hotspots, compared to weeks ago, the ratio of positive tests to test still has hardly budged.

until this starts going out of control or rising I wouldn't start this mass panic that seems to be going on that we are in the same position as we were in march and april and lets just shut down the entire economy again.

this is a poor example but say 3 weeks ago there was 5,000 test a day in Manchester... they noticed an uptick so now they are testing 30,000 a day.. you are going to see more positive tests..those positives were also probably there 3 weeks ago as well when people were more calm

sorry I am waffling, but some people need to stop focusing on the 100% media scare stories who are all seem to be hoping and wishing for a 2nd wave

I have been to 5 pubs, all are following guide lines, I have seen 100% compliance with face masks every supermarket I have been into. cases are rising a lot more slowly than they seem to be in Europe as well.. considering we had been starting from a higher daily positive case load then those were.

hospital addmissions and deaths still not rising, I am going to ignore that PHE figure again as yesterdays ons figures had PHE deaths 2.7 times higher than the actual reported deaths.

this is unusual for me , I am such an irrational catastrophist with my normal life, I am quite calm about this for a change

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Can't work at home if you're bar staff.

Hospitality needs to continue. The furlough scheme is coming to an end soon and the economy is already on a steep downhill slope.

Does anyone actually pay any the attention to the restrictions around meeting in other peoples houses etc? I'd be amazed if most people bothered. 

To be honest there's been so many rule changes and when there has been most of the time they defy logic I'd say it's more a case of being confused as to what you can / can't do than pure "being bothered" at least for most of the population anyway.

The risk level varies from area to area in this country so whilst following rules to a certain extent I'll freely admit to letting both sets of my daughter's grandparents hold her along with her auntie's and uncles for instance.

43 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t know why bed factories in particular are being hotspots for the virus. 

To be honest, it just seems to be factory working conditions in general that increases risk (as opposed to what is being manufactured...though cooler environments seem to accelerate things). If they have to keep shutting them down due to outbreaks, it's a combination of bad work practices and poor planning. Why regular testing has not been introduced in high risk environments is beyond me (ok, I know it's expensive, but less than a quid for a chicken breast is pretty mad anyway, if it added 50p to the price to test everyone in the factory each week in order to keep the workers safe, and by extension the wider community, then I don't see the problem with it). At some point, we have to move from reacting to outbreaks to proactively preventing them (using tools less blunt than shutdown). At the moment it seems to be that the track & trace system kicks in once a case is detected (and thankfully it is finding lots more asymptomatic cases), but this can and should be done upfront. I was in my office for the first time in 5 months on Monday (very odd, the campus is nothing like it used to be, more like dropping in over Christmas...completely dead and much nicer working from home!), but I went down to see our testing facility which is now all set up and ready for the students to come back at the end of the month. I get that we are a medical school and can do this ourselves, but it's something that should be done anywhere were there are high risks of a super-spreading event. Done regularly, in addition to having safer work practices, it can identify cases before they initiate a big cluster. Even with a vaccine, it's going to take some time to see the back of this, so some smarter ways of handling things until it's completely managed are required. 

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I get this. I just spent two weeks at home in the south west, one at my parent's house, and then a week with my brother and his wife/son in a rental in Cornwall. I found myself so easily falling out of 'covid-secure' behaviours, because everything looked and felt quite ordinary - despite still wearing masks everywhere, giving details at restaurants and whatnot.

I'm home again now and I've found my mind drifting to next year and potential holidays and thinking of when the family will all be together again... and then I remember we're still so far away from that being a safe or good idea. It doesn't feel like it though, to look at life going on pretty much as usual. It's so hard to know what is a reasonable thing to 'look forward to' - and I have always had something on the horizon, whether it was just a weekend at home, or a cottage booked somewhere in autumn or knowing that there is a family wedding next year... and right now I've got nothing. It's not a nice mindset to be in.

100% agree with this. I feel very much the same. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I didn't really mean people posting on this thread to be honest, but just generally I do wonder how much people are still taking it seriously. I feel like a minority to be honest.