When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

23 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Meanwhile the BBC is joining in with the newspaper barrens to try and pressure teachers to re-open schools in September, because- magic! Now covid-19 no longer applies to schools- they are warded by faith that infections will not occur!

I see Spaffer is claiming that "all schools" are covid secure.

There's no end to the bollocks the man spouts.

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Which I'm guessing is 100% based on these studies saying children don't spread it. 

So everyone aged 4 to 18 have the same biology then eh? 

actually the thinking is young children don't spread it as much as adults...but older children (i.e. 10 and over) do.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/09/what-we-are-learning-about-covid-19-and-kids

Been back at work for a week and just noticed I haven't really watched the news for a week either (how strange!). What have I missed?

I saw a headline on a tabloid yesterday saying that pubs are on 'last orders' (something to do with track and trace failing I think!).

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

actually the thinking is young children don't spread it as much as adults...but older children (i.e. 10 and over) do.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/09/what-we-are-learning-about-covid-19-and-kids

That's what I thought - but he's on about all kids back full time, so completely ignoring that fact. Picking the science to suit the decisions and spinning it if needed

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That's what I thought - but he's on about all kids back full time, so completely ignoring that fact. Picking the science to suit the decisions and spinning it if needed

well...yeah. Not conclusive. It's all a nightmare decision...I can see both sides of the argument, kids do need to be in schools, but it's fair enough that teachers/parents/kids have anxieties about it. My kids school is doing year bubbles...which mean in each bubble there is over 300 kids!

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...yeah. Not conclusive. It's all a nightmare decision...I can see both sides of the argument, kids do need to be in schools, but it's fair enough that teachers/parents/kids have anxieties about it. My kids school is doing year bubbles...which mean in each bubble there is over 300 kids!

Sounds like a massive nightmare to deal with those bubbles if there is an outbreak for whatever reason. 

I just think 0 - 60 / shut to full capacity for high schools is maybe taking things a little too fast if they can't conclusively say that older kids won't be taking it home, their parents taking it to work etc. 

If the big worry is October and everyone moving indoors for everything, plus the general effects of people getting more ill anyway, this feels like it guarantees it to stay in the community until then. Then they will definitely have to close pubs as they've threatened, without furlough and despite them going on about getting us out to help the economy, so what then? 

Virus related chaos until January helps them hugely as Brexit effects can be blamed on the virus, but I really don't want to believe this is the route they're taking....

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

We’ll have to TesGo away from there...

Aldi get away with a pun like that? Asda been any other supermarkets with outbreaks yet? Even just a Lidl one counts I reckon. 

Edited by zeppelin
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 5

From the telegraph, if we aren’t careful I think we will end up on our own quarantine list!!

The Foreign Office is due to update its ‘safe’ list this week, with Portugal hoping to gain its first travel corridor of the pandemic, meaning returning holidaymakers will not be required to self-isolate for 14 days. France, however, is one of several countries in Europe to have seen a rise in its number of coronavirus infections in recent days. 

Paul Charles, spokesperson for campaign group Quash Quarantine and founder of travel consultancy The PC Agency, said he understood France, along with Malta, Switzerland, Poland and the Netherlands, could be subject to fresh restrictions. 

“I know from senior government sources that anything above 20 cases per 100,000 for a period of seven days or more is likely to lead to that country being added to the quarantine list,” he told Telegraph Travel

“On that basis, France has just two days to gets its numbers below 20 – which is highly unlikely despite face masks now being mandatory in many outdoor public spaces, not just indoors in shops.”

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Unbelievably I got a downvote for that. From the same person as usual.

Seriously @Sdsm123 what’s your issue here? It’s massively not the etiquette of this forum to relentlessly downvote someone, especially for such innocuous posts. If you disagree with Ozanne, reply with with a comment and have a discussion.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Seriously @Sdsm123 what’s your issue here? It’s massively not the etiquette of this forum to relentlessly downvote someone, especially for such innocuous posts. If you disagree with Ozanne, reply with with a comment and have a discussion.

Agreed. @Sdsm123, I'm wondering if you've misread how downvotes are generally interpreted here. It's not the equivalent of a wry groan and shake of the head, it's more like shouting "BOOOOO, that joke was SHIT 😡". I know they're only fake Internet points, but given it's always Ozanne, it does come across a bit like you have a beef, even if that's not your intention.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed. @Sdsm123, I'm wondering if you've misread how downvotes are generally interpreted here. It's not the equivalent of a wry groan and shake of the head, it's more like shouting "BOOOOO, that joke was SHIT 😡". I know they're only fake Internet points, but given it's always Ozanne, it does come across a bit like you have a beef, even if that's not your intention.

I thought it was just that to be fair!