When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I’ve realised part of the problem in my mental health with all of this is im focussing on people who are breaking the rules rather than being pleased with those who are sticking to them.

Walked into town today, as I’ve said before mask compliance in my area is not good, especially compared to when I was in London 2 weeks ago. 

On the way into town I was watching some busses go by to see if people were wearing their masks, 100% compliance, good start.

Went past a barbers, staff members wearing masks but no customers wearing them? Perhaps the barber chain hasn’t been keeping up to date with the rule changes, but not good that the customers aren’t taking personal responsibility.

Went to the shopping centre, everyone wearing masks on the way in past the security guard, but as soon as they got past the security guard loads of masks came off... what the hell!? I’d say compliance was about 70% as lots of people taking them off once inside the shopping centre or putting them below the chin... what the hell is the point? 

The big problem for me is when you’re in a crowded shopping centre of 200 people and 60 aren’t wearing masks, it’s pretty noticeable. And it was all young people aged 20-30 not sticking to the rules, which I found so selfish. And I know these people weren’t medically exempt as they were all either holding their masks in their hand or below their chin.

On the positive side of things all staff in shopping centre and the individual stores were wearing masks, which was great! And in general I’m finding most retail staff in most stores are now wearing either a mask or a visor, which is very good to see. Except for costa, where no staff seem to bother wearing masks.

Walked home as was quite annoyed about people’s attitudes in the shopping centre, and looked in the bus windows on the way back... 0% compliance, everyone with masks under their chins. This just was the nail in the coffin for me.

I really believe masks are effective and I agree we only need 80% or so to follow the rules to make them effective, and 70% in the shopping centre is way better than what it was before when it was 0%, and all staff wearing too, so it’s really positive in that aspect. And whenever I’ve been to a supermarket it’s always been 95-100%, and in London similarly it was 95-100%. It’s so much better than before when no one was wearing masks. But I just can’t get it out of my head that people think they are better than the rules?

Thats just what makes me worried about a second wave, when people just give up caring and all masks come off, social distancing goes out of the window and everyone has to meet inside because it’s the winter and we can’t meet outdoors. I know I shouldn’t be panicking and I’m trying to stay calm but if everyone can’t follow the rules now how are we going to manage in 3 months time when it gets colder.

Edited by FestivalJamie

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’ve realised part of the problem in my mental health with all of this is im focussing on people who are breaking the rules rather than being pleased with those who are sticking to them.

Walked into town today, as I’ve said before mask compliance in my area is not good, especially compared to when I was in London 2 weeks ago. 

On the way into town I was watching some busses go by to see if people were wearing their masks, 100% compliance, good start.

Went past a barbers, staff members wearing masks but no customers wearing them? Perhaps the barber chain hasn’t been keeping up to date with the rule changes, but not good that the customers aren’t taking personal responsibility.

Went to the shopping centre, everyone wearing masks on the way in past the security guard, but as soon as they got past the security guard loads of masks came off... what the hell!? I’d say compliance was about 70% as lots of people taking them off once inside the shopping centre or putting them below the chin... what the hell is the point? 

The big problem for me is when you’re in a crowded shopping centre of 200 people and 60 aren’t wearing masks, it’s pretty noticeable. And it was all young people aged 20-30 not sticking to the rules, which I found so selfish. And I know these people weren’t medically exempt as they were all either holding their masks in their hand or below their chin.

On the positive side of things all staff in shopping centre and the individual stores were wearing masks, which was great! And in general I’m finding most retail staff in most stores are now wearing either a mask or a visor, which is very good to see. Except for costa, where no staff seem to bother wearing masks.

Walked home as was quite annoyed about people’s attitudes in the shopping centre, and looked in the bus windows on the way back... 0% compliance, everyone with masks under their chins. This just was the nail in the coffin for me.

I really believe masks are effective and I agree we only need 80% or so to follow the rules to make them effective, and 70% in the shopping centre is way better than what it was before when it was 0%, and all staff wearing too, so it’s really positive in that aspect. And whenever I’ve been to a supermarket it’s always been 95-100%, and in London similarly it was 95-100%. It’s so much better than before when no one was wearing masks. But I just can’t get it out of my head that people think they are better than the rules?

Thats just what makes me worried about a second wave, when people just give up caring and all masks come off, social distancing goes out of the window and everyone has to meet inside because it’s the winter and we can’t meet outdoors. I know I shouldn’t be panicking and I’m trying to stay calm but if everyone can’t follow the rules now how are we going to manage in 3 months time when it gets colder.

I think you should just do what you want to do to make you happy without being a dickhead about it. ONS says its around 90% compliance with masks. So if you see people without it, its probably statistically unimportant 

I follow whatever the law is. 

• Upvote 1

Finally ventured out for the first time yesterday (apart from a few supermarket shops when we couldn’t get delivery). Have to say it was lovely, felt like getting back to normal - just a few drinks on the lawn by the canal in a countryside setting that is normally a wedding venue only. First picture pre Covid from website. Remind you of anywhere? ....

A95E6702-9AC3-4B63-BBEA-C1D56706EA9A.jpeg

BCBCF401-D683-4C0B-8B8D-39E55A910CD0.jpeg

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think you should just do what you want to do to make you happy without being a dickhead about it. ONS says its around 90% compliance with masks. So if you see people without it, its probably statistically unimportant 

I follow whatever the law is. 

It’s statistically unimportant unless it has a  direct effect on someone ... so sharing a bus ride with nobody wearing masks overall might not have much impact but personally it might ... that’s why I have an issue with my colleagues not wearing masks ... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s statistically unimportant unless it has a  direct effect on someone ... so sharing a bus ride with nobody wearing masks overall might not have much impact but personally it might ... that’s why I have an issue with my colleagues not wearing masks ... 

Oh always wear a mask where you have to wear a mask. But that's different to going to a pub or restaurant or meeting friends in your house when you don't have to

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Oh always wear a mask where you have to wear a mask. But that's different to going to a pub or restaurant or meeting friends in your house when you don't have to

Yeah that’s fair but it’s also important to remember people that have been affected by this virus in many ways if it be Mentally or physically people respond to circumstances very differently and often in ways that they have very little control over ... 

• Upvote 1

I’m so impressed at the innovation and lengths that some places are going to. One of our favourite country pub restaurants has a great idea for ‘nervous’ customers - certainly going to give it a try. You have your own individual gazebo which can be opened or closed depending on the weather - true social distancing here ....

B827A943-8212-4236-B47A-13DF3B9459EE.jpeg

2C0972D2-3FA1-4424-916D-1CB319F2F7F9.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

the rate does seam very low around here , although i fail to see what shutting keynsham high street is going to help

think covid is being used as an excuse for the council to trial having the high street shut with a view to pedestrianising it permanently.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

think covid is being used as an excuse for the council to trial having the high street shut with a view to pedestrianising it permanently.

We’ve just had an entire lane of traffic shut without warning for a cycle lane that runs exactly parallel to.... another bike lane. A cycle lane I use every day and is actually fine. 

The gov said here’s some money, use it or lose it so they’ve gone a bit mad. Ambulances were getting held up all weekend as there’s nowhere for the cars to get out the way. 

Its only temporary, but there’s no end date for it being temporary. Could be 5 years 

10 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

The Daily Heil have started with their negativity about the work from home dream (‘Working home warriors’ - sorry for the link): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/comment/article-8609711/RUTH-SUNDERLAND-Working-home-warriors-wise-up.html

Expect this to ramp up big style over the next two or three weeks.

It’s going to be the next culture war isn’t it? The leafy North London urban elite remainers getting shamed for having jobs that can be done from home from the northern red wall brexiteers that can only dream of having an office job. 

11 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

The Daily Heil have started with their negativity about the work from home dream (‘Working home warriors’ - sorry for the link): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/comment/article-8609711/RUTH-SUNDERLAND-Working-home-warriors-wise-up.html

Ah yes "obsessing about one's own work-life balance seems self-indulgent when thousands of Covid redundancies are bearing down on us like a freight train." - how dare we want to enjoy our lives...

and The risk is this is interpreted to prioritise lifestyle privileges above productivity and the broader interests of the economy. is such patronising bollocks,

It's ridiculous that this debate is happening right now - the virus is still around, people moaning that everyone should be forced to go into work for the interests of fairness are extending all of this by basically saying nothing should be done to stop the spread of the virus.

But I do wonder if I'm being triggered because there is some truth in it all long term...

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Good article.  Interestingly John lives in Frome (we see him about every now and then) so I know of the issues with independent businesses he references as Frome is well known for having a far higher % of such than high street chain retailers.  So far many of them have been clinging on, staying afloat due to loyal local trade, but it's increasingly hard, and without them Frome at least could become a retail wasteland.  Mrs P works in a small independent boutique in town, and they haven't even re-opened yet, the changes to furlough on the horizon making the shop's future in doubt.  She'd love to go 'back to work' but doesn't have that choice at present.

11 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Are Daily mail writers working from home when they type these articles?

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Coming from a place where they police what girls where moreso than protecting everyone from a virus.

Meanwhile the BBC is joining in with the newspaper barrens to try and pressure teachers to re-open schools in September, because- magic! Now covid-19 no longer applies to schools- they are warded by faith that infections will not occur!

12 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

What a poorly written piece. Bet she was at home as well