When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh, looks like I was wrong:

Screenshot_20200806-084336.png

Sounds about right.   Our key IT partner is an Indian firm, mixture of UK and India-based.  They've pulled out all the stops to keep the services in India running by getting everyone working from home, but the availability and stability of home internet connections are way below what you'd need for it to be a viable long term option.

48 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Have a read of this thread regarding legal action against the government for PPE they bought. It’s also a news story today. 

Absolutely maddening, and given the govts aim to reduce access to JR, stuff like this will be increasingly more difficult to challenge.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not about acceptability, it's about being cheap. She's saying that if you're not in the office, then you might as well not be in the country, at which point you have to compete with offshore workers, who are cheaper.  They could be working from a remote central office, or also working from home, it doesn't matter.

My personal experience is mainly with software developers from India. There are obviously some very bright people in the industry from India, Microsoft and Google are both run by Indian born people. I also work with three cracking Indian national developers who live in the UK.  

However, in my more limited experience of working with offshore companies (one Indian company), they're not as good as the UK based staff - not even close. Where you grew up seems to be irrelevant, I'm not going to hypothesize on the reasons, I don't have enough data.

Personally, I can't morally get behind the idea of those of us in the west having an advantage due to accident of birth, so I'm happy to compete directly with the rest of the world. I'm happy to compete with the rest of the country, so why not?

I work in the same industry and my experience with offshoring is pretty much identical.

14 hours ago, Superscally said:

Do you reckon her and Phil Spencer have ever pulled at the office party? Always wondered.

I honestly thought they were a couple until one episode of location location location where Kirsty was pregnant and Phil said something like "how are you getting on with it" or "hows the baby doing" and I just thought, well you SHOULD know Phil!! Googled it and they weren't together :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

“A coronavirus test will be mandatory for all arrivals to Germany from Saturday, the country’s health minister has said”- BBC NEWS.

Very good from Germany and definitely the way forward for international travel in my opinion. The tests are free of charge.

Something we could do if someone had the brains to put all of the tests which we have capacity to do each day yet aren't being used.

It's bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It should be a huge scandal, let’s see how much traction is gets and if people even care. 

My favourite leftie echo chamber show James O'Brien is talking about it, but LBC news led with some minister saying people need to go back to city centres to aid the economy so it's not even top of the hour news! 

35 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Something we could do if someone had the brains to put all of the tests which we have capacity to do each day yet aren't being used.

It's bizarre.

My only guess regarding this was they figured they’d have a go at opening up bit by bit without testing to see what happened to case numbers...if masks, social distancing and some hand hygiene were enough, then the added expense and logistical demands of more testing could be avoided. However, I think it’s become crystal clear that higher risk activities cannot happen without advance testing, so I’d expect this to become more prevalent and over the coming months, almost become routine (bar a massive leap in treatment/vaccine/completely random biological quirk that ends the whole thing)...the plus side of this is that we should now start to see how far we can go by testing people going to work in certain sectors and indeed prior to travel or leisure activities. I’d generally expect advance testing to be done privately and not as part of public testing since excess capacity is there to handle surges, rather than provide a service for other sectors...but, it does provide a cost recovery model for the testing infrastructure, so if testing requirements are way below capacity, who knows!

55 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

My favourite leftie echo chamber show James O'Brien is talking about it, but LBC news led with some minister saying people need to go back to city centres to aid the economy so it's not even top of the hour news! 

I really don’t understand how this type of thing isn’t bigger news?

I have to admit my thoughts on it were "well this is just how it is now". I personally don't really care who gets paid for it if the goods were delivered to the right quality. I fail to see how it helps anyone in these situations to give the money but not get the product - surely it just creates even corrupt governments a headache when this type of thing happens? It'd be so much smoother if it was just a normal business transaction - the money gets paid to their mates/donors/whatever, proper goods are received, money is *ahem* funneled to the appropriate places and the NHS gets it's proper PPE - everyone's happy and nobody would really ask questions. How hard is that to do? 

I do believe that the human nature and the capitalist system is very much built towards corruption and we have to live with that to an extent (considering the alternatives are sometimes more susceptible to even worse parts of human nature), but this lot aren't even good at it. 

some good news .... although obviously better when we get to 0 

UK coronavirus hospital deaths up by 8 in lowest Thursday rise

Britain’s coronavirus hospital death toll has increased by eight - the lowest rise on a Thursday since the UK went into lockdown in late March. 

England reported five new deaths and Wales announced three.

Both Northern Ireland and Scotland last reported a coronavirus death three weeks ago.Britain’s coronavirus hospital death toll has increased by eight - the lowest rise on a Thursday since the UK went into lockdown in late March.

England reported five new deaths and Wales announced three.

Both Northern Ireland and Scotland last reported a coronavirus death three weeks ago.