When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

A lot more income than betting money happens on site. The hospitality packages are a huge earners for the directors of the race course as well as food and beverage sales for 200k+ people. 

I live next to the racecourse the money it brings into Cheltenham is insane

26 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The current OFQUAL guidance for English Literature is that there will be a choice of questions to answer on the GCSE papers which will give schools a choice on which topics are taught over the next academic year. One Shakespeare text is a must and then two of the three remaining content areas (Poetry, 19th Century novel and 20th Century fiction/drama) must be covered. It isn’t clear how this will be chosen, though. I don’t know if it will be down to schools to decide or if the exam boards will individually make a call on what is to be taught and which unit is to be left behind. I think it’s an incredible and unfair amount of pressure of Heads of Department if it is down to schools to decide themselves, though. 

The problem with this approach is: 

A ) The time spent learning the topic that gets dropped throughout the previous academic year will have been for nothing

B ) If, for example, poetry gets dropped (which I can see being the popular choice), the following scenario becomes troublesome: When it comes to exam day and the school hasn’t taught poetry at all in Year 11 in favour of the two other topics, the students opens the paper and there’s a poetry question on a poem they learnt in Year 10 and they think ‘I know this poem, I’ll do this instead of the Jekyll and Hyde question (which has been covered in Year 11) because I don’t really get that question’, they are more likely to do a poor job on the question because they haven’t been prepped for it for an entire year. What happens then? What happens with marking as it is anonymously marked by exam markers. How are they to know which questions students from each school were supposed to answer? They can’t be awarding marks for incorrect question choices, surely? 

It doesn’t seem clear at the moment in all honesty, which is the norm for this government over this whole period. It’s going to be a stressful, uncertain time September, that’s for sure. 

I’m a secondary English teacher, by the way. 

cool. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, it’s like emboldened idiocy!

The jokes on them, as a whole load of employers have decided they prefer people working from home, so there will be little point in trying to pressure people to going back to something that doesn’t exist. 

Good to see good ole Kirstie sticking her oar in!! Like she has a flippin clue :huh:

Edited by shoptildrop

49 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Good to see good ole Kirstie sticking her oar in!! Like she has a flippin clue :huh:

Got to love rich people, safe and secure in their mansions trying to con people into endangering themselves unnecessarily, to protect their riches- her whole tone is so patronising, she’s clearly been mulling over how to sell it.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

My point is that you said it’s ‘most likely’ to not happen, I don’t think that’s the case. I believe it’s probably more evens at this stage if not a bit more likely to happen. Most likely implies there’s almost a certainty to it, it’s far too early to tell.

By gains I mean test and trace will be better by then, we’ll have an app, testing in general will see improvements through quicker responses to test and antibody testing seeing improvements. They’ll be an acceptance by next summer that you’ll have to take a test before any event which is an improvement to now.

I can’t see events being cancelled for another summer, they’d have to cancel everything to start cancelling festivals next summer. 

Most likely - as in 'probably' and meaning that what affects the indoor music scene will also have a great bearing on the outdoor festivals, although there are clear differences. 

The point being that indoor venues recognise the probability of restrictions stretching way into the future (as per the press release)  in the absence of any meaningful breakthrough, and I simply can't see why the larger mass gathering events, whether indoor or outdoor, and especially such events as Glastonbury, would be any less affected given the concentration of people. 

If the indoor venue industry obviously recognise that then they are clearly not confident in the measures you have laid out. Although I do think that something positive will be in place by next year,  whether that is sufficient and in time to rescue festivals next year is unknown.

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

This narrative is popping up a lot at the moment - that the only worth of British office employees is being able to physically show up at the office, and there are plenty of willing people in other countries who will take on the work. The Daily Mail will have a story with a company saying they are looking into that possibility within a week I guarantee it. 

If these companies wanted to outsource everything to India and save money on office space, they could've done that at any time since the internet became normality. For a lot of people working from home their actual job is no different and it's down to what they do on the screen, not being distracted by meetings, "catchups", shit banter and even shitter music all day. They are as replaceable by someone foreign at home as they are in the office...  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've got access to the google accounts of a reasonable sized camping equipment retailer as I do the SEO and there are insane numbers in there. Like really really high  

Judging from the camp sites around here I can well believe it. They are no where near full so that they can operate safely but if they could take more, then they'd fill up with no problem. Lots of expensive new gear and lots of camping first timers

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

I know it's nuts!

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

almost like the rest of the world isn't suffering a pandemic either :( 

To defend her mainly bollocks point, it doesn't affect her argument that the rest of the world is suffering from a pandemic. She's saying that if you work from home, you're less able to differentiate yourself from offshore workers. Since they have laptops and home internet in other countries, I don't think the pandemic has a bearing on that competition.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To defend her mainly bollocks point, it doesn't affect her argument that the rest of the world is suffering from a pandemic. She's saying that if you work from home, you're less able to differentiate yourself from offshore workers. Since they have laptops and home internet in other countries, I don't think the pandemic has a bearing on that competition.

isn't she saying that they could work from an office elsewhere ? so it could be outsourced to those ? maybe I read it wrong then .... why would it be acceptable for them to wfh and not those here ? 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

isn't she saying that they could work from an office elsewhere ? so it could be outsourced to those ? maybe I read it wrong then .... why would it be acceptable for them to wfh and not those here ? 

It's not about acceptability, it's about being cheap. She's saying that if you're not in the office, then you might as well not be in the country, at which point you have to compete with offshore workers, who are cheaper.  They could be working from a remote central office, or also working from home, it doesn't matter.

My personal experience is mainly with software developers from India. There are obviously some very bright people in the industry from India, Microsoft and Google are both run by Indian born people. I also work with three cracking Indian national developers who live in the UK.  

However, in my more limited experience of working with offshore companies (one Indian company), they're not as good as the UK based staff - not even close. Where you grew up seems to be irrelevant, I'm not going to hypothesize on the reasons, I don't have enough data.

Personally, I can't morally get behind the idea of those of us in the west having an advantage due to accident of birth, so I'm happy to compete directly with the rest of the world. I'm happy to compete with the rest of the country, so why not?

• Downvote 1

I’ve got a fair few mates from different organisations who manage/train Indian based teams and, to a man, they say that the Indian employees are fantastic at following a step-by-step process but not great at thinking on their feet.

It is total nonsense to think that loads of companies are just going to get rid of all their UK staff and outsource work to India, unless the roles are entirely based on following defined processes. 

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Something a lot, lot worse than that *potentially once happened...

https://popbitch.com/emails/the-daily-tonic-hold-on-to-your-stomachs/

"Cracking shag" - ew. They suit each other.

Vaguely related, my friend used to work with a woman who had dated David Cameron. She said he had a massive knob.