When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Think you might have missed the last bit of my post.

Hopefully yes, there will be 'more gains' in the future. When you say 'gains' I presume you mean a medical breakthrough?

But until then, and currently in the absence of a vaccine, or combination of vaccines, and other treatments, control and mitigation measures will have to remain in place, loosening and tightening as and where needed. 

We currently don't have such vaccines, and estimates and guesses vary wildly. 

Do you honestly think 200k will be gathering in a field before such treatments are found and implemented?

My point is that you said it’s ‘most likely’ to not happen, I don’t think that’s the case. I believe it’s probably more evens at this stage if not a bit more likely to happen. Most likely implies there’s almost a certainty to it, it’s far too early to tell.

By gains I mean test and trace will be better by then, we’ll have an app, testing in general will see improvements through quicker responses to test and antibody testing seeing improvements. They’ll be an acceptance by next summer that you’ll have to take a test before any event which is an improvement to now.

I can’t see events being cancelled for another summer, they’d have to cancel everything to start cancelling festivals next summer. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I went down a bit of a Daily Mail comment rabbit hole today because of their crusade to bully the country back into the office. It appears that a very large amount of the country genuinely does not know the difference between working from home and furlough. It's actually scary how such a lack of intelligence and basic knowledge is so widespread - every article on home working has LOTS of comments about scroungers, "get back to work", "future labour voters on benefits" etc with loads of upvotes. Many of the negative commenters that do at least get the difference seem convinced that home working will just lead to bosses realising they can outsource everyone's jobs to India because they can be done from anywhere (as if that hasn't always been an option if they want to).

The extremely low level of intelligence is terrifying   

Yep, it’s like emboldened idiocy!

The jokes on them, as a whole load of employers have decided they prefer people working from home, so there will be little point in trying to pressure people to going back to something that doesn’t exist. 

Thanks for those. Not sure why it wouldn't let me see them.

I can only speak for my company (and therefore I guess the industry will be vaguely similar) but a big % of my pubs/restaurants etc that I look after are actually selling near enough the same volumes they were this time last year, this is despite indoors only opening a few weeks ago. A number of my accounts are actually selling "Christmas volumes" which is absolutely nuts considering the restrictions still in place.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I can only speak for my company (and therefore I guess the industry will be vaguely similar) but a big % of my pubs/restaurants etc that I look after are actually selling near enough the same volumes they were this time last year, this is despite indoors only opening a few weeks ago. A number of my accounts are actually selling "Christmas volumes" which is absolutely nuts considering the restrictions still in place.

and I presume thats before the eat out scheme ? ..... I couldn't view them either ...... looking at most of those graphs ... although below normal levels they are still on an upward path .... its going to take a while for confidence to return , Its just a question of what remains when it does 

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

yeah, have to see what happens when weather gets colder so people want to go inside.

You know....the new politcial divide seems to be not economic, but cultural....and polls show the majority of the country are socially right wing...and Cummings/Johnson know this and exploit it..so blaming certain minorities such as muslims can definitely help them.

I think we're going to get a lot more of it, whether it's europe, muslims, migrants, statues and black lives matter or LGBT...the tories are going to keep wanting to bring it all up again and again.

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and I presume thats before the eat out scheme ? ..... I couldn't view them either ...... looking at most of those graphs ... although below normal levels they are still on an upward path .... its going to take a while for confidence to return , Its just a question of what remains when it does 

Yeah that would be up until the end of July. Pubs have just been allowed to open indoors in Wales from Monday just gone so I imagine that combined with the eat out scheme should sales getting even closer to normal. Granted the eat out scheme can't be used on alcohol, but the food and drink aspect goes hand in hand.

I can only speak for my particular area of retail manufacturing but we are ridiculously busy at the moment, we’re even having to turn down new business as we don’t have the capacity to fill more orders. 

People are definitely out there spending money on furniture. 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not ‘most likely’ to be the same for large festivals. It’s possible but I’d say they are as likely to go ahead next year as they aren’t. There will more gains made even before the end of 2020, I’d even say they more likely to go ahead than not. 

It's a big reset time and unfortunately we are still bumping along the bottom. It's a case of hanging on there cos at some point new shoots will grow. Chin up peeps.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

This school reopening question is going to get more and more intense.

My kid is just about to start year 11 which is GCSE year...and at moment plan is for GCSEs to be happening next year with little change to the syllabus...which just makes it even more unfair to those who couldn't get as much done over the last few months, and also to those likely to miss out due to schools closing due to local outbreaks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/05/covid-19-may-spread-more-easily-schools-than-thought-report-warns

The current OFQUAL guidance for English Literature is that there will be a choice of questions to answer on the GCSE papers which will give schools a choice on which topics are taught over the next academic year. One Shakespeare text is a must and then two of the three remaining content areas (Poetry, 19th Century novel and 20th Century fiction/drama) must be covered. It isn’t clear how this will be chosen, though. I don’t know if it will be down to schools to decide or if the exam boards will individually make a call on what is to be taught and which unit is to be left behind. I think it’s an incredible and unfair amount of pressure of Heads of Department if it is down to schools to decide themselves, though. 

The problem with this approach is: 

A ) The time spent learning the topic that gets dropped throughout the previous academic year will have been for nothing

B ) If, for example, poetry gets dropped (which I can see being the popular choice), the following scenario becomes troublesome: When it comes to exam day and the school hasn’t taught poetry at all in Year 11 in favour of the two other topics, the students opens the paper and there’s a poetry question on a poem they learnt in Year 10 and they think ‘I know this poem, I’ll do this instead of the Jekyll and Hyde question (which has been covered in Year 11) because I don’t really get that question’, they are more likely to do a poor job on the question because they haven’t been prepped for it for an entire year. What happens then? What happens with marking as it is anonymously marked by exam markers. How are they to know which questions students from each school were supposed to answer? They can’t be awarding marks for incorrect question choices, surely? 

It doesn’t seem clear at the moment in all honesty, which is the norm for this government over this whole period. It’s going to be a stressful, uncertain time September, that’s for sure. 

I’m a secondary English teacher, by the way. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can only speak for my particular area of retail manufacturing but we are ridiculously busy at the moment, we’re even having to turn down new business as we don’t have the capacity to fill more orders. 

People are definitely out there spending money on furniture. 

I've got access to the google accounts of a reasonable sized camping equipment retailer as I do the SEO and there are insane numbers in there. Like really really high