When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Just ridiculous to be honest, there’s already been a lot of localised outbreaks traced back to pubs, and especially within the staff.

If the virus escalates on a national level they will have no option but to close hospitality sector down. Telling people “you can’t meet in each other’s houses” is completely unenforceable and won’t decrease numbers whatsoever as people will just go against the rules and meet anyway.

This will prove especially tough in the winter, when people can’t meet outside and only meet indoors, further spreading the virus.

Edited by FestivalJamie

I am worried that come winter the government think they are going to be able to tackle every local outbreak by telling us not to visit each other’s homes. People will still gather in each other’s homes as it cannot be enforced, and those who don’t gather in their homes will gather in indoor pubs instead, as it will be too cold for beer gardens to be open. That would lead to more outbreaks in pubs which would lead to local numbers increasing rather than decreasing and a nation-wide spike.

Perhaps I’m panicking, but when numbers start to rise high enough I personally think there’s no option but nation-wide intervention. To me the current “measures” imposed up north of not visiting each other’s homes are completely irrelevant, as it’s not something that can be stopped or enforced, and it just redirects people to gather in other places such as pubs rather than in their houses.

I wonder if the government would consider the introduction of curfews like in other countries, or toughen up on social distancing and mask rules? Perhaps we could go back to the 2m rule rather than 1m should the outbreak worsen again?

11 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I am worried that come winter the government think they are going to be able to tackle every local outbreak by telling us not to visit each other’s homes. People will still gather in each other’s homes as it cannot be enforced, and those who don’t gather in their homes will gather in indoor pubs instead, as it will be too cold for beer gardens to be open. That would lead to more outbreaks in pubs which would lead to local numbers increasing rather than decreasing and a nation-wide spike.

Perhaps I’m panicking, but when numbers start to rise high enough I personally think there’s no option but nation-wide intervention. To me the current “measures” imposed up north of not visiting each other’s homes are completely irrelevant, as it’s not something that can be stopped or enforced, and it just redirects people to gather in other places such as pubs rather than in their houses.

I wonder if the government would consider the introduction of curfews like in other countries, or toughen up on social distancing and mask rules? Perhaps we could go back to the 2m rule rather than 1m should the outbreak worsen again?

I know this isn't really the point you're making, but I think the new rules in the north really suck for single people. I'm sure I read that you can't gather in other people's houses, and while you can continue going to pubs etc you can't do so with people outside of your own household. So, what, I stay in or go to the pub/to dinner by myself? I'm getting a bit depressed about the thought of a lockdown winter that's along those lines tbh. The summer was fine, as I was able to sit in the garden and meet my neighbours, and to go to the park when the restrictions eased a bit. In the winter that's all not going to be an option...

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Unfortunately you can’t trust people nowadays, it’s a sad thing to say but groups get sick of it and decide to go against what they should.

I think you can put more faith in people than listening to blow-hards on Social Media might have you believe. My experience of mask use has been pretty universal. I doubt many on here are familiar with the delights of Greggs, Tow Law in County Durham. I drive through TL on most days and occasionally allow myself a "Greggsies" this last time I visited everyone had a mask on, same in the supermarkets of Co Durham. The odd person that I have seen sans-mask I have excused (in my head) on medical grounds. In any case 100% compliance is not required. The important thing is that most people are keen to do what they have to do to get through this.

So the message from Tow Law* (incidentally closer to Dom Cumming's family pile than Barnard Castle but oddly not as useful for sight testing purposes) is we are still working together to get through this shit-fest.

The new rules are more to do with saving businesses than lives but that's what you get with a bunch of Tory c*nts in Downing Street.

*Tow - rhymes with cow not low.

19 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

If it happens, it happens. I wouldn't stress yourself out with hypothetical situations month's in the future.

15 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I know this isn't really the point you're making, but I think the new rules in the north really suck for single people. I'm sure I read that you can't gather in other people's houses, and while you can continue going to pubs etc you can't do so with people outside of your own household. So, what, I stay in or go to the pub/to dinner by myself? I'm getting a bit depressed about the thought of a lockdown winter that's along those lines tbh. The summer was fine, as I was able to sit in the garden and meet my neighbours, and to go to the park when the restrictions eased a bit. In the winter that's all not going to be an option...

You can gather with your support bubbles. Now is the time to get yourself on tinder/bumble/grinder and get yourself a bubble buddy as winter is coming! 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You can gather with your support bubbles. Now is the time to get yourself on tinder/bumble/grinder and get yourself a bubble buddy as winter is coming! 

'i wish it was that bloody easy :( although statistically singles probably have a lower risk 

Edited by crazyfool1

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I don’t live in the north but I am single and live on my own. You’ll still be able to support bubble with another household as part of the current rules but yes otherwise you’re on your own unless you want to break the rules. I said it months ago but if you are a single person you tend to get forgotten. It is demoralising.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Haha, this thought had crossed my mind.... just can't really be doing with all this dating app business. 

Also rather depressingly, my current "bubble" (two friends who live in the west end) are emigrating at the end of the year. So I guess I really should think about getting the other kind of "bubble buddy" before that happens!

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t live in the north but I am single and live on my own. You’ll still be able to support bubble with another household as part of the current rules but yes otherwise you’re on your own unless you want to break the rules. I said it months ago but if you are a single person you tend to get forgotten. It is demoralising.

Ok, so under the north lockdown rules I could go to the pub with my current "bubble"? That's a bit better I suppose...

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Ok, so under the north lockdown rules I could go to the pub with my current "bubble"? That's a bit better I suppose...

As far as I understand it, a support bubble counts as your household. So yes I think so.

Depressing being on the central line for only the third time since March earlier today. About 50% of people in our busy carriage were wearing masks properly (i.e. over both nose and mouth, not just hanging under chin). Made us feel really uncomfortable.

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As far as I understand it, a support bubble counts as your household. So yes I think so.

Depressing being on the central line for only the third time since March earlier today. About 50% of people in our busy carriage were wearing masks properly (i.e. over both nose and mouth, not just hanging under chin). Made us feel really uncomfortable.

If it makes you feel any better, I read today that the air in a London tube carriage is replaced, like really, really, often. I'm afraid I can't get any more scientific than that.

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53636854

What is people’s obsession with taking cruises during a pandemic... they seem to be a hotbed for outbreaks to occur?

I've been on a cruise. Even though I got it for something like £75 instead of £600 and it was around Mexico I'd say': they're crap at the best of times, don't bother.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If it makes you feel any better, I read today that the air in a London tube carriage is replaced, like really, really, often. I'm afraid I can't get any more scientific than that.

Can you dumb it down a tad please?

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh dear, still not caught the tube but will prob have to on Thursday (turns out my mate at football is a librarian at the House of Commons and he's offered me a free tour; been a few times before with work but can't really say no to that).

Edited by Homer

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Oh dear, still not caught the tube but will prob have to on Thursday (turns out my mate at football is a librarian at the House of Commons and he's offered me a free tour; been a few times before with work but can't really say no to that).

Can we give you a list of people to slap? 

• Like 1

It’s great not following the news for a few days. I check back in to see that despite loads of relexation of Lockdown over the last few weeks Case numbers are steady, there’s no rise in hospitalisations or Deaths, risk of transmission continues to be significantly lessened Outdoors and yet theres a general air of panic. I recommend taking a few days off. It’s good for the Soul 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Can we give you a list of people to slap? 

They're all on hols aren't they? (Think that's why it's easier to get a tour this week.)

Get this: when I went before I saw Malcolm Rifkind, Starstruck doesn't even cover it.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

What a world we live in, you can’t go see your Mum at her house but you can go get drunk with her with a load of other strangers in a pub. 

I can get drunk with your mum? (Apologies, I've watched The Inbetweeners a bit recently.)