When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Its mad - what has happened this past couple of weeks to make people change, that didn't happen previously when they still were willing to vote conservative...

I'd hate to think that voting intention changed based on some personal inconvenience in the North ("they're taking my freedoms away"), when it didn't change on the back of tens of thousands of excess deaths....

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

The immune response to CoVs is getting a lot more attention now. Previously, immunologists weren’t all that interested in it. It just caused a cold! So really, we are only finding out how it works. My gut feeling is that T-cells pay a huge role in the severity of disease (I know others have suggested ADE, but I don’t see the evidence for that yet, while evidence on t-cell responses is mounting (albeit not definitively linked to disease severity yet))...but yes, if repeated doses of vaccine are required, then it should just be a boost and not a newly designed vaccine each year. 

Have you read about the Russian vaccine? im guessing youre a bit dubious about it as well...

The Russian government has said it aims to launch mass production of a coronavirus vaccine next month and turn out “several million” doses per month by next year, according to AFP.

“We are very much counting on starting mass production in September,” the industry minister, Denis Manturov, said in an interview published by TASS news agency.

“We will be able to ensure production volumes of several hundred thousand a month, with an eventual increase to several million by the start of next year,” he said, adding that one developer is preparing production technology at three locations in central Russia.

The country is pushing ahead with several vaccine prototypes and one prepared at the Gamaleya institute in Moscow has reached advanced stages of development.

The health minister, Mikhail Murashko, on Saturday said the Gamaleya vaccine had “completed clinical trials” and that documents were being prepared to register it with the state.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Have you read about the Russian vaccine? im guessing youre a bit dubious about it as well...

The Russian government has said it aims to launch mass production of a coronavirus vaccine next month and turn out “several million” doses per month by next year, according to AFP.

“We are very much counting on starting mass production in September,” the industry minister, Denis Manturov, said in an interview published by TASS news agency.

“We will be able to ensure production volumes of several hundred thousand a month, with an eventual increase to several million by the start of next year,” he said, adding that one developer is preparing production technology at three locations in central Russia.

The country is pushing ahead with several vaccine prototypes and one prepared at the Gamaleya institute in Moscow has reached advanced stages of development.

The health minister, Mikhail Murashko, on Saturday said the Gamaleya vaccine had “completed clinical trials” and that documents were being prepared to register it with the state.

I have, though unlike the Oxford vaccine, the route to it hasn’t been published and is not transparent at all! They could have simply copied other ones, as it’s all publicly available information (no need to hack anything), but...yeah, a bit dubious!

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Just out of interest, would people on here actually take the Russian vaccine if it was launched in October?

Nope! (And I’m no anti-vaxxer)

edit: to be honest, I’m wary of the Moderna and Pfizer ones too. It’s the future of rapid vaccine development, it’s just been accelerated about 5 years, so there’s a lot of unknowns for me. The GSK/Sanofi one is basically the flu shot that has been in millions of people for years, so I wouldn’t be worried at all about it...Oxford one will have about 2 years follow up data by the time it’s deployed, so also more reassuring.

Edited by Toilet Duck

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Just out of interest, would people on here actually take the Russian vaccine if it was launched in October?

Not the russian one. Oxford one seems fine to me. Other ones i may wait a few months just to see if there are effects coming out