When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

not my experience of a non-covid hospital visit last week. I didn't see an empty bed.

That’s because when we were at the height of the outbreak every hospital was turned into covid treatments and all other patients who needed to be seen e.g cancer patients had their appointments cancelled.... so we really were overwhelmed pretty badly.

Theres now a massive backlog of all the people who couldn’t be seen such as those cancer patients, who are now at risk of dying sooner due to not being seen during the peak of the outbreak.

Its so awful and just shows how everything has a knock on effect. The peak doesn’t have to even reach as high as it did last time for hospitals to be overwhelmed again as they have such a backlog of patients, this is why I think the government are being so cautious as it won’t take much of a rise in cases for the hospitals to actually become overwhelmed again.

Edited by FestivalJamie

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Possibly because Brits in Belgium aren't having the same risky inter-personal contacts as Brits in Spain are?

I read yesterday that they'd been 10 people return from their Spanish holiday in the 3rd week of July with covid, and that was part of what drove the quarantine rules change.

I'm guessing that's from indoor nightclubs.

I think you’re right. I think there’s also a much fewer amount of Brits in Belgium at the moment compared to Spain. I think there’s something crazy like 600,000 tourists in Spain at the moment. I don’t think that many people will have gone on holiday to Belgium in comparison.

59 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Problem is ... is that kind of part of a blame game ... beaches marches people celebrating eid ? Young , obese , Europeans travelling , but not the U.K. government ? 

Yeah, I know. I should add that I don't really blame young people for wanting to go out and mix...I'd probably do the same. The whole situation is a nightmare, and is not ending anytime soon. Possibly got a rough autumn and winter ahead.

Also should add...in Trafford and Manchester young people were using social media in the absense of any decent contact tracing...so messaging each other to go get tested etc

50 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

That’s because when we were at the height of the outbreak every hospital was turned into covid treatments and all other patients who needed to be seen e.g cancer patients had their appointments cancelled.... so we really were overwhelmed pretty badly.

Theres now a massive backlog of all the people who couldn’t be seen such as those cancer patients, who are now at risk of dying sooner due to not being seen during the peak of the outbreak.

Its so awful and just shows how everything has a knock on effect. The peak doesn’t have to even reach as high as it did last time for hospitals to be overwhelmed again as they have such a backlog of patients, this is why I think the government are being so cautious as it won’t take much of a rise in cases for the hospitals to actually become overwhelmed again.

don't we have these massive nightingale hospitals in standby?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, singing and shouting at each other....but at same time, full of young people...herd immunity and all that. Just lock the old people away.

🤣, I'm 58 and feel at least ten years younger,  while taken in jest i for one don't think that last comment isn't beyond the realms of impossibility given they wouldn't want to go into a full lockdown again. Imagine ffs, let's have the over 50s rioting in the street!!

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes but we don’t have enough frontline staff to facilitate that capacity, during the peak the NHS nurses were overwhelmed with the amount of patients they had to care for.

We asked them to come back didn’t we lol. 

4 minutes ago, ghandi said:

🤣, I'm 58 and feel at least ten years younger,  while taken in jest i for one don't think that last comment isn't beyond the realms of impossibility given they wouldn't want to go into a full lockdown again. Imagine ffs, let's have the over 50s rioting in the street!!

I’ll join you :) don’t forget that’s quite a lot of the Tory voters .... 

Edited by crazyfool1

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll join you :) don’t forget that’s quite a lot of the Tory voters .... 

Yes, opinion on that might have changed as well by then !

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I know - clever, these computers - and i'm surprised to see that particular user with a trolling account. Then again, could possibly be a sprog of theirs I guess. 

Can you make them stop!

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Like most things, it varies from person to person. I gagged a lot from the throat swab and found the nasal one really uncomfortable, almost painful, and then had a massive sneezing fit

I had the test on for the first time on Friday, for my new job which I'm starting tomorrow (came back negative, so form a queue for a kiss)

I found the throat swab fine. It seemed to touch that part of your throat where bits of popcorn get stuck! I found the nose part to be quite uncomfortable, but I don't think it goes in as deep as people make out. I was told it feels like your eyeball is being poked, but in reality, it goes just past the main hole of your nose, and just inside the bit where your hole starts to close up, kind of where you'd grab to stop a nosebleed.

Just seen someone on my FB have gone to Barcelona today, a group of 6 celebrating a birthday!! 

They also seem to think that the travel insurance they bought in Jan will be still valid, I hope none of them get ill otherwise in for a shock :huh:

I don't understand why anyone would travel to a viral hotspot?? (I have refrained from commenting on their posts)

12 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Just seen someone on my FB have gone to Barcelona today, a group of 6 celebrating a birthday!! 

They also seem to think that the travel insurance they bought in Jan will be still valid, I hope none of them get ill otherwise in for a shock :huh:

I don't understand why anyone would travel to a viral hotspot?? (I have refrained from commenting on their posts)

Oh dear. My travel insurance (bought well before covid appeared) didn't cover pandemics. On the plus side, not being able to do anything in lockdown and having to come home 2 months early did save me money on my trip! Just wasn't planning to spend so much of my gap year in Portsmouth 😭

Some 45 police officers were injured in a wave of weekend demonstrations in Berlin including protests against coronavirus restrictions, police said as protesters gathered again in smaller numbers on Sunday.

The protests, in which many demonstrators failed to wear masks or respect social distancing rules, have sparked a chorus of condemnation including calls for tougher penalties against those who violate restrictions aimed at curbing transmission of the deadly virus.

A total of 133 people were arrested during Saturday’s protests, which included a huge “day of freedom” demo against coronavirus restrictions, police said in a statement on Sunday.

The arrests were for offences including resisting police officers, breach of the peace and the use of unconstitutional symbols. Three officers required hospital treatment, police said.

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Oh dear. My travel insurance (bought well before covid appeared) didn't cover pandemics. On the plus side, not being able to do anything in lockdown and having to come home 2 months early did save me money on my trip! Just wasn't planning to spend so much of my gap year in Portsmouth 😭

'think i just read portsmouth was one of the safest cities ... so you choose a decent place to spend time :) 

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

'think i just read portsmouth was one of the safest cities ... so you choose a decent place to spend time :) 

In terms of covid, maybe!

Must be all those app users on the Isle of Wight, making sure they don't bring it over here on the hovercraft.