When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I feel as if I a woken up in some dystopian future world.   I'm out dancing in a thunderstorm. The world has gone mad and I can't figure it out. 

I'm listening to The Doors ffs

@Ayrshire Chris how did you get in with half of Glasgow invading today 🌞

Edited by Lizzim
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Not necessarily though. It’s been said that the increase in cases europe-wide (by the WHO) is mainly in young people due to lack of social distancing, which means that hospitalisation figures are luckily less likely to rise and hopefully fewer deaths.

Whilst WHO data identifies the growth in infections as being in the younger age group right now it is the potential of this group of people to spread it to other socio groups that is of concern. If this happens on any significant scale then we could literally go back to square one! Viral infections thrive on the back of social mobility and the lack of distancing so a problem amongst the young soon becomes a problem of others.

15 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

probably mean Swinton, not the 1st time people get things wrong..... was it on this morning show this morning that they had west Yorks and Greater Manchester labelled the wrong way round on the map :huh:

No they mean Swindon the graph has data from all across England and Wales it's just highlighting how the outliers are predominantly in the North West.

15 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

probably mean Swinton, not the 1st time people get things wrong..... was it on this morning show this morning that they had west Yorks and Greater Manchester labelled the wrong way round on the map :huh:

I'm pretty sure it's Swindon - there was a bit on local TV news last night about how it's at risk of lockdown because it's had a big rise in cases.

But the difference is, I think, is it's a big rise in cases, but against a fairly low level of cases. If there's ten infections and it doubles to 20, that's a 100% increase in cases but still not very many cases.

I think Swindon (and Liverpool) have been included in that graph because they're places which have had a bigger % rise in cases than the places newly locked down, to try and portray the idea of Manc, etc, being unfairly picked on.

But the percentage rise in cases is not everything. There's also the number of cases that percentage rise is against - and presumably the prevalence is greater in Manc, etc, than it is in Swindon and Liverpool.

14 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes but more tests are processed because more people are showing symptoms? 

What you’re saying is you’re excusing an increase in cases due to an increase in tests. That’s like saying if we did 3 times the testing we would have 3 times more  cases.

Of course testing is going to be increased when the virus is spreading more widely as more people are displaying symptoms and thus there are more contacts traced and more tests carried out.

You’re arguing an increase in tests causes an increase in cases. I would argue it the other way around. An increase in cases causes an increase in tests.

Wider community spread > more cases and more contacts traced > more tests carried out.

So, whichever way you look at it, cases are increasing, they are at the highest levels they have been for a month now. ONS says daily cases has increased from 2800 to 4200 in the last week. We need to remain vigilant.

That’s not correct though is it. It doesn’t matter how many people are showing symptoms and if it’s more or less, it matters who actually has coronavirus. If you test 20,000 more and you only find an extra 110 cases then that is the factual part isn’t it?

If you test 150,000 people and find 800+ cases then that means the overriding majority of people tested don’t actually have coronavirus, so the amount of people with symptoms being higher or lower is guide to absolutely nothing. A lot of tests will have been carried out as part of contract tracing not because people have symptoms so again it’s not actually a real metric.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pretty sure it's Swindon - there was a bit on local TV news last night about how it's at risk of lockdown because it's had a big rise in cases.

But the difference is, I think, is it's a big rise in cases, but against a fairly low level of cases. If there's ten infections and it doubles to 20, that's a 100% increase in cases but still not very many cases.

I think Swindon (and Liverpool) have been included in that graph because they're places which have had a bigger % rise in cases than the places newly locked down, to try and portray the idea of Manc, etc, being unfairly picked on.

But the percentage rise in cases is not everything. There's also the number of cases that percentage rise is against - and presumably the prevalence is greater in Manc, etc, than it is in Swindon and Liverpool.

Exactly.....and the new Swindon cases are pretty much all from the same factory setting.

12 hours ago, Lizzim said:

I feel as if I a woken up in some dystopian future world.   I'm out dancing in a thunderstorm. The world has gone mad and I can't figure it out. 

I'm listening to The Doors ffs

@Ayrshire Chris how did you get in with half of Glasgow invading today 🌞

Got on easy!   Because We were in Glastonbury, or to be more precise stuck on the M5 then the M6 returning home.   Got back last night and judging by the bins overflowing with chip wrappers and pizza boxes Ayrshire coastal towns must have been heaving! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Few of the coastal towns in Ireland are hopping now too but the weather here is shit for the whole weekend which is probably making more people stay at home. I’m seeing a lot of UK reg cars and camper vans where I live too. Not sure if they’re from the north or mainland uk.

The British do seem to be the nation most keen on travelling during a pandemic 😅 most people I know are happy to give it a rest for one year considering the circumstances.

11 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Few of the coastal towns in Ireland are hopping now too but the weather here is shit for the whole weekend which is probably making more people stay at home. I’m seeing a lot of UK reg cars and camper vans where I live too. Not sure if they’re from the north or mainland uk.

The British do seem to be the nation most keen on travelling during a pandemic 😅 most people I know are happy to give it a rest for one year considering the circumstances.

The Lake District is as busy as I've seen it, or it least the usual honeypot towns are. A lot seem to be first timers, and not necessarily here to head out on the fells all day so they don't really know what to do with themselves when they get here (although saying that there are also some who are taking on hikes and climbs that they don't have the skill/fitness/ability/equipment to do, leading to a lot of mountain rescue call outs)

Interesting side note, a lot of our guests are NHS workers (obviously no idea whether clinical, admin or whatever) but they seem happy enough travelling and staying in close proximity with other people.