When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, gazzared said:

I went to my inside gym for the first time on Wednesday.... Just not safe. Groups of lads all hanging around the machines not cleaning anything after they've used stuff. Some old women coughing her guts up next to me on the rower for 15 minutes and she didn't clean anything. 3 blokes pissing with sweat over everything on the treadmills in front of me then just left without cleaning...I was fuming. Not happy at all no one cares . 

I've frozen my membership until December 31st.

I'll see what the situation is in NI in a month or so but may not be back this year.

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I've frozen my membership until December 31st.

I'll see what the situation is in NI in a month or so but may not be back this year.

Yeah my was frozen but now they've been given the green light to open they've said it's safe so my membership has resumed, if I cancel I have to pay for another 3 months until my membership ends.

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

For the first 3 months of this I felt the Govt was doing a good job of f*cking it up. 

I now feel the general public are doing a better job. 

I’ve got to say, the government are doing a lot better than they were three months ago. We now have mask rules, testing, contact tracing, appropriate safety measures for businesses, quarantine for high risk countries etc.

The issue is now the general public have no interest to listen to the government anymore - and whilst a lot of what the government says is a load of crap, the measures being implemented are actually quite good- just requires the public to stick to them which is where the issue lies.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I went to my inside gym for the first time on Wednesday.... Just not safe. Groups of lads all hanging around the machines not cleaning anything after they've used stuff. Some old women coughing her guts up next to me on the rower for 15 minutes and she didn't clean anything. 3 blokes pissing with sweat over everything on the treadmills in front of me then just left without cleaning...I was fuming. Not happy at all no one cares . 

Gyms have always seemed to me to be amongst the most unappealing of places even at the best of times.  What you describe here must be the unhealthiest way to keep fit.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Yeah my was frozen but now they've been given the green light to open they've said it's safe so my membership has resumed, if I cancel I have to pay for another 3 months until my membership ends.

Could be worth challenging them on the safety piece, especially if they're not enforcing it

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Gyms have always seemed to me to be amongst the most unappealing of places even at the best of times.  What you describe here must be the unhealthiest way to keep fit.

Yeah definitely... They'd moved the rowers and a few machines and weights to outside which was great but very weather dependent but at least I could row in the fresh air.... Apart from KFC pumping out zinger tower scent haha

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Could be worth challenging them on the safety piece, especially if they're not enforcing it

Yeah thanks I've just emailed them . They now shut earlier at 20.30 so I think it makes it even worse as everybody is trying to fit in their workouts after work. Before it was 22.30 

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Your excuse for not getting fit is finally properly relevant! :lol:

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep exactly this ...  was just in process of saying similar ... it’s actually in their interests making people feel safe ... that’s the way people will resume subscriptions and social media will form a very strong part of this ... right or wrong ... everything will have trip advisor style comments to it and I’m waiting feedback about my gym before I consider a resumption 

14 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’ve got to say, the government are doing a lot better than they were three months ago. We now have mask rules, testing, contact tracing, appropriate safety measures for businesses, quarantine for high risk countries etc.

The issue is now the general public have no interest to listen to the government anymore - and whilst a lot of what the government says is a load of crap, the measures being implemented are actually quite good- just requires the public to stick to them which is where the issue lies.

confusing what rules are.

18 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Quite.  Echoes my thoughts entirely. 

That's a shame to hear about some gym experiences. Mine is an independent but I've been really impressed with the distancing, cleaning and so on. Everyone sticking to the rules. Mine you I only do classes, not use the gym floor. But every time I've been in its looked deserted. I think a lot are not coming back for a bit as had the option to freeze membership for no cost. Good news for me though! 

It is very possible the rates may be increasing even though people aren’t doing anything particularly ‘wrong’ i.e. if you eat out and keep to all social distancing restrictions, but the chef/waitresses may unknowingly be asymptomatic and infect x number of people, who then pass this on to their family members who are around their household (all within allowed guidelines). Not everybody is acting wreckless here.  

It was always going to increase as we move to the new normal - it was totally unavoidable.

Any remotely sensible measures they take that might sway my opinion of them are absolutely swamped by their complete inability to convey clear, understandable and non-contradictory messaging.  Take Hancock on the radio, what an absolute clusterfuck.

Combine that with an inability to concede that anything they've done is less than perfect, trying to shift dates when lockdown was introduced and gradually shifting the blame onto others, and I remain comfortable in saying that they can go fuck themselves.

However that doesn't diminish that there is also a need (and massive gap) in personal responsibility.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It is very possible the rates may be increasing even though people aren’t doing anything particularly ‘wrong’ i.e. if you eat out and keep to all social distancing restrictions, but the chef/waitresses may unknowingly be asymptomatic and infect x number of people, who then pass this on to their family members who are around their household (all within allowed guidelines). Not everybody is acting wreckless here.  

It was always going to increase as we move to the new normal - it was totally unavoidable.

people are going back to work too...using public transport etc etc.