When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway, weather is nice so everyone can just get some booze and head to the park.

That’s pretty much the approach we are taking...Our Glasto group are all heading to a friend’s field this weekend, pitching our tents, and sitting around with cans talking endless rubbish (at least partly recreating our campsite experience!). I reckon it’s safer than spending extended periods of time indoors. To say I’m excited is a bit of an understatement..Can’t wait to have the tent up and crack open that first cold one!

29 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can I travel outside of the lockdown area to attend a wedding ceremony?

Yes.

—- 

This is nothing to do with containing a spread inside Manchester.

But it also says you can't visit the house or garden of someone outside the area. Which is upsetting for my partner's brother who lives there and was planning to visit his parents down south this weekend.

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

On newsnight last night they were talking about Leicester and the fact that the death rate had not followed the same trajectory as the number of positive cases...they didn't have an explanation for it though.

Did they say it was lower? Different age group maybe?

@Toilet Duck Should we be concerned about this uptick in cases generally or do you think this is just an expected consequence of easing the lockdown? As in manageable?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

22 minutes ago, foolee said:

...Also if we aren’t going to be getting a vaccine shouldn’t we be piloting events all the time to see how infections spread and at what rate so we can see what works and what doesn’t to keep the economy moving. 

The Germans are sorting that out for us! I’m being a bit facetious, they are doing a fairly extensive study on spread in indoor settings, but lots of things are being tested elsewhere. UK trials of drugs/treatments are super organised and are making a massive contribution to how the disease is being managed globally (not to mention, in my view, the two most likely vaccine candidates (Oxford/AZ & GSK/Sanofi)). The  Southampton testing trial is also really important as outside of treatment or vaccination, advance testing is the key to opening back up all the things we want to do. There’s gonna be spikes, tracking & tracing coupled to more nuanced contact restriction should hopefully avoid a situation where everywhere needs to shut down again...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

But it also says you can't visit the house or garden of someone outside the area. Which is upsetting for my partner's brother who lives there and was planning to visit his parents down south this weekend.

Matt Hancock contradicted that this morning.

6343DAD1-D2CE-4746-B208-D1F5FF65ADDE.png

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Matt Hancock contradicted that this morning.

6343DAD1-D2CE-4746-B208-D1F5FF65ADDE.png

Ha FFS. Yeah I read it in the official guidance.

I imagine he will probably cancel anyway just because of general concerns about passing it on if it's on the rise where they live. They both work around a lot of people and his parents have health issues. Sucks though.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Did they say it was lower? Different age group maybe?

@Toilet Duck Should we be concerned about this uptick in cases generally or do you think this is just an expected consequence of easing the lockdown? As in manageable?

The % positive tests in the UK are miles below the level WHO recommends. If you look at places where the virus is out of control (e.g. certain US states), even with lots of testing, about 15% are coming back positive some days...WHO says 5% positive is when widespread lockdown should be considered...in the UK at the moment, it’s about 0.5%. The areas they are imposing restrictions in have higher % positive rates (nothing like the US though) hence those are the ones targeted. We had 85 cases yesterday. Far and away the most cases we have had in months (it’s been between 5 and 20 most days for weeks). Everyone panicked...then looked at the clusters. Two large ones made most of the difference...A meat packing plant and a direct provision centre. Both extremely high risk, and basically to be expected unless we all stay home all the time...but contacts have been identified, tested and isolated, So, it’s not panic stations yet, sustained community spread isn’t common (either here or in the UK). These spikes will happen, we just need to keep a lid on them when they do (and continue to practice risk mitigation of our own when we are out and about). 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ha FFS. Yeah I read it in the official guidance.

I imagine he will probably cancel anyway just because of general concerns about passing it on if it's on the rise where they live. They both work around a lot of people and his parents have health issues. Sucks though.

That’s a shame! Hopefully they can see each other soon. 

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

The % positive tests in the UK are miles below the level WHO recommends. If you look at places where the virus is out of control (e.g. certain US states), even with lots of testing, about 15% are coming back positive some days...WHO says 5% positive is when widespread lockdown should be considered...in the UK at the moment, it’s about 0.5%. The areas they are imposing restrictions in have higher % positive rates (nothing like the US though) hence those are the ones targeted. We had 85 cases yesterday. Far and away the most cases we have had in months (it’s been between 5 and 20 most days for weeks). Everyone panicked...then looked at the clusters. Two large ones made most of the difference...A meat packing plant and a direct provision centre. Both extremely high risk, and basically to be expected unless we all stay home all the time...but contacts have been identified, tested and isolated, So, it’s not panic stations yet, sustained community spread isn’t common (either here or in the UK). These spikes will happen, we just need to keep a lid on them when they do (and continue to practice risk mitigation of our own when we are out and about). 

Thanks, that's reassuring! 

5 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

and people have to remember more localised targeted testing is going to pick up more cases from people with no symptoms that wouldn't of been picked up in testing before, as they wouldn't go or get a test.

as with Leicester big upswing in cases, hospital and death rates steadily falling, and its been a month to 6 weeks since they had the upswing in cases, where you would expect to see these rise. 

I do think science in treating this has improved massively from the start which is a very very good thing

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why the fuck they saw fit to tweet this out last night hours before it comes into effect is beyond me.

I think they did it suddenly like the Spain quarantine so that no one had the opportunity to make their own ways round the rules but to announce it on twitter that very obviously no everyone uses is terrible (but in the same way it doesn't surprise me) 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s the PM and Chris Whitty too!

Looking forward to watching Boris blather his way through it while watching Whitty dying a little more inside with every fwaf and piffle.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, mikegday said:

I obviously see that drinking will make people less likely to socially distance! I’ve never said that isn’t the case. Again don’t feel like you’re really portraying my argument fairly. Im saying drinking in a pub is less dangerous right now for spreading the virus than doing it at your mates house.

Bear in mind pubs arnt chocka, their enforcing limits of people, things arnt normal down the pub right now. 

You seem to suggest everyones out clubbing losing their shit, it just ain’t the case. 

The big difference between pubs and a friend's house is control. I know my friends are treating the virus in the same way I am - they're worried about it and following the guidance so they don't catch it or spread it. If I go to the pub, there's nothing to stop some random brushing up against me or shouting loudly over everyone because he genuinely believes the virus is spread by 5G waves anyway so he can't be doing any harm.

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I find it very strange especially when you look at the Leeds/Bradford border. In the pic below, on the top half of the main road you are now under lockdown but on the bottom half you’re not. 

The areas are based on the health authorities, Bradford is my closest hospital so if I was to become hospitalised due to Covid then I would count in the Bradford figures even though I actually live in Leeds. 

81857215-6F1C-442A-979F-E67B9BA9C412.thumb.jpeg.4ff260a17848b941b8a132b4225a79f5.jpeg

I was hit by a car on Dick Lane but on the Bradford side, the paramedics had a proper discussion about which hospital to take me to. They decided on Leeds which is a good job because I would have been transferred anyway from Bradford.