When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yes but pubs will stay open, if people are breaching social distancing rules at homes then they’ll just carry on and meet in pubs still. It makes no sense. 

as folk have been saying you are still being surrounded by loads of strangers, so covid doesn't spread from them in these indoor settings??? even with social distancing once booze thrown in it can quickly go out the window..

I get they need to crack down, but this mixed messaging on what you can and can't do defies logic which will result in non-conformance

don't even get me on how late at night it was announced either, most folk will miss this for sure

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

So basically two households shouldn’t meet in a place without a card machine?

Do the card machines protect against Covid?

Has someone official actually said this? as saw the joke tweet about this but didn't think its actually been said has it?

Just now, shoptildrop said:

as folk have been saying you are still being surrounded by loads of strangers, so covid doesn't spread from them in these indoor settings??? even with social distancing once booze thrown in it can quickly go out the window..

I get they need to crack down, but this mixed messaging on what you can and can't do defies logic which will result in non-conformance

don't even get me on how late at night it was announced either, most folk will miss this for sure

For a minute I thought you were arguing with me 😂 

It’s a mess, and can easily be ignored. Who would know in a pub if they are 2 different households!?

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

For a minute I thought you were arguing with me 😂 

It’s a mess, and can easily be ignored. Who would know in a pub if they are 2 different households!?

Not at all it's just the situation is crazy... I've not been going out anyway and all my family are 125 miles away so Skype only for me, but I do know most folk will either question the logic or for folk who don't tend to read news/have social media won't even know about the new restrictions

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well yes the office workers and staff back at work can / must go to pubs and restaurants but families meeting in their homes is not allowed.

Political and media discourse in the U.K. is so unconsciously racist I can’t deal with it.

If this is because of Eid it's ridiculous, you can use your "British common sense" to conga or go to the pub & get wasted, but Muslims aren't allowed to use common sense?

If the gov had just said "be careful during Eid", that's fine, but this? WTF?

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Eid Al-Adha starts tomorrow 

Plenty of notice given for those already people who have already made arrangements and possibly already traveled to celebrate. 

Imagine if they announced a lockdown for Christmas at 9pm xmas eve. There would be a complete breakdown in society 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Google tells me Eid Al Adha is tomorrow. So it's a preemptive lockdown rather than an increase in cases because of Eid?

That’s what I’ve been told by someone who’s never given me any reason to doubt them, or think they would make that up because of Racism. I’m not an expert but they’re worried about large in home Meet-ups for celebrations/feasts. Theoretically Pubs and Restaurants are theoretically easier to police than homes.

Im sure it’s a bonus that people in the latter contributes to the economy and they can sound the Dog whistle a bit, too.

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Plenty of notice given for those already people who have already made arrangements and possibly already traveled to celebrate. 

Imagine if they announced a lockdown for Christmas at 9pm xmas eve. There would be a complete breakdown in society 

They’ve probably only just thought of it. 

And they may well do it at Christmas knowing it would be widely ignored. Remember the goal is to look like they’re doing something and be able to blame people if they don’t follow the guidance/rules.

• Like 1

I actually don’t think meeting in a restaurant and visiting someones house is the same. I think you’re much more likely to keep distance i.e sit across the table for instance, than if you were lounging in someone’s house. I think the familiarity of someone’s house means you let your guard down. But everyone seems to be saying it’s absurd that people can meet in a pub but not their house - am I the only one to disagree?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PolygonWindow said:

Really ambiguous statement. 

Are the government suggesting you can still go to pubs if you live in the affected areas however can’t go round other peoples houses?

Yes. Because these two things are completely different. I think everyone has forgot the bit about keeping distant, even in someone’s house.

I think the government are aware that inside someone’s house people arnt keeping distant, the hope is that they’re the much more likely to keep a bit of distance in a restaurant or pub - that’s my take on it anyway.

5 minutes ago, mikegday said:

I actually don’t think meeting in a restaurant and visiting someones house is the same. I think you’re much more likely to keep distance i.e sit across the table for instance, than if you were lounging in someone’s house. I think the familiarity of someone’s house means you let your guard down. But everyone seems to be saying it’s absurd that people can meet in a pub but not their house - am I the only one to disagree?

So getting drunk in a pub is fine? As I said if people don’t socially distance at home now then they’ll ignore that in a pub too. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So getting drunk in a pub is fine? As I said if people don’t socially distance at home now then they’ll ignore that in a pub too. 

Doing whatever you want anywhere (within reason) is fine, as long as you keep distance. 2 couples sat over a table in a pub drunk - I still think will keep more distance than if they were sat in one of their houses. Because despite being drunk you’d still be aware it’s not normal, the staff would be acting different, you’d be ordering drinks in a different way. At home - you’d going the fridge as normal - things would be all like normal times again, and I think that’s when social distance goes out the window.

Edited by mikegday

In my view about 80% of social distancing is dead. I don’t really see it observed anywhere other than a bloody Tesco or a shop.

people have got bored and sick of this now and it’s going to be really hard going forward to try and enforce it even further.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes, because the "target audience" for these restrictions generally don't go to the pub or get drunk.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

In my view about 80% of social distancing is dead. I don’t really see it observed anywhere other than a bloody Tesco or a shop.

people have got bored and sick of this now and it’s going to be really hard going forward to try and enforce it even further.

Well that’s not my experience. I’m keep as distant from people as I was in April. I stand in my dads garden to talk to him, we went out to restaurants sat outside and was served by the waiter who put our stuff on a table next to ours. I suppose that’s why I’m baffled by these announcements and the reaction to them. I thought everyone was keeping their distance.