When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I agree. It’s important to remember that businesses are still working, when they say ‘Go back to work’ they forget that people have been working, in some ways nether and happier than before. There’s only really a few reasons why they are separate for staff to go back and none of them are staff health or happiness.

If the whole make up of our economy is reliant upon people being in offices and spending money on lunches to keep going then quite frankly the system is broken and needs to be changed. 

1 minute ago, Sdsm123 said:

Talking to an ex colleague at Asda last night and she said the Cheltenham store have said that masks must be worn on the shop floor unless you are separated by a screen! So maybe worth writing to the R,M to get it introduced at your store mate

unfortunately the use is requested but optional ...... i spoke to the deputy store manager about it today .... aparently not a lot more they can do ... he did say he would make another request to leadership team ... but dont hold out much hope of uptake ..... wish we had just made them compulsory !! but I will try letters and copies to as many people as I can 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

unfortunately the use is requested but optional ...... i spoke to the deputy store manager about it today .... aparently not a lot more they can do ... he did say he would make another request to leadership team ... but dont hold out much hope of uptake ..... wish we had just made them compulsory !! but I will try letters and copies to as many people as I can 

I just think the government should say masks must be warn in all enclosed premises including pubs and restaurants when not sat at a table eating! Too much misinformation out there unfortunately 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sdsm123 said:

I just think the government should say masks must be warn in all enclosed premises including pubs and restaurants when not sat at a table eating! Too much misinformation out there unfortunately 

this was the message from our CEO 

From Anthony on face covering:
England

The government made face coverings mandatory for customers in all English stores from Friday 24th July. Whilst face coverings are only mandatory for our customers, we are recommending that colleagues also wear a face covering on the shop floor while the store is open to customers. Colleagues who are physically separated from customers (e.g. perspex screen) are not required to wear a face covering, however once they leave the checkout we recommend that the colleague wears a face covering.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The problem is companies have weighed up the balance of risk. And many have realised that if someone in the office does get it, most other people are going to get it too, and while those people probably won't die, they'll be off work for weeks or months. Having most of your workforce out of commission for a few weeks is an existential risk for most organisations - it's not something they could recover from.

The current approach with homeworking isn't driven by benevolent employers, it's driven by risk managers making an assessment that it's just too dangerous. It'd still be too dangerous even if COVID 19 had a 0% mortality rate.

The other factor is that productivity has barely dropped with homeworking. So there's no incentive to get folk back in to offices. It's an economic correction, rather than a consequence of COVID 19. The assumption had been workers were less productive at home. That's been proven not to be the case. Regular home-working will become a thing, and it'll create economic upheaval, but not collapse. City centre pubs, restaurants and gyms will see usage plummet. Suburban pubs, restaurants and gyms will see usage spike massively. Demand for the same services is still there, just in different places.

If you've always wanted to run your own business, now is the time to find a residential suburban area in a commuter belt without a decent cafe and open one. 

This ^

Plus why would these firms pay to have desks altered to have screens all around and other measures. No point and costly. Then they have a reduction in running cost and longer term can look at closing buildings.

My company has many offices and in some it is all hot-desk which does not work with Covid.

As @Ozanne also states what a weird statement about our economy.  I thought he was all up for Free markets and let the markets decide on what happens :)

Plus did not IDS boss only say yesterday that there is a second wave on the way across Europe

Edited by fred quimby

1 hour ago, Sdsm123 said:

This is the policy in germany, Spain Italy and France.

I strongly agree with it. The problem is, the government should have introduced these mask rules upon reopening businesses, then everyone would be used to and would have got on with it. You can’t introduce mask rules now into pubs and restaurants because that will dramatically decrease footfall as people won’t want to go there anymore.

The best I am hoping for at this point is compulsory masks in public toilets, as it’s really impossible to social distance in them. Other than that, I’m quite happy with the rules we have at the moment, shopping centres and supermarkets is far more than I was expecting to be honest. Whilst I would like our rules to match germany, at least our mask policies are better than they were a month and a half ago.

Im still hoping to get out on holiday to Germany this summer, I refuse to go to an indoor pub or restaurant in this country due to lack of mask wearing indoors, but I will happily go to one in germany as the policies make me feel safer. Hopefully I can go out to germany see what it feels like in restaurants with compulsory masks for people when not sat at their table. I will also most definitely feel safer in germany too as masks are compulsory for staff in all enclosed spaces as well as the public, unlike here where they are optional for staff.

35 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Would also be interesting to see how many doses the doctors advocating it are sitting on. In private practice in the US, the doctor purchases their drug supplies and then sells them to their patients (normally you would prescribe and the pharmacist supplies it, but both aspects are often within the same private practice in the US). It’s not always the situation, but I’ve been on ad boards for major pharma companies with private practice docs from the US, and how they would unload doses of drug they buy in bulk for their practice is always top of their list of concerns. 

Feels a bit odd today with no PMQs  slating of Boris ... how long are they off on their jolly’s for ? Or is that dependant on quarantine restrictions ? Is Boris going to get some extra time off by jetting off to somewhere about to impose restrictions ? 

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Feels a bit odd today with no PMQs  slating of Boris ... how long are they off on their jolly’s for ? Or is that dependant on quarantine restrictions ? Is Boris going to get some extra time off by jetting off to somewhere about to impose restrictions ? 

Parliament isn’t due back till September, damn summer. 

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Sad but to be expected. The first pilot was never going to be the template that would be used. They’ll hopefully expand on this if it’s safe to and work I’m better ways of doing things. 

Frank Turner's take on it - https://frank-turner.com/2020/07/29/the-first-gig-back/?fbclid=IwAR2jP4ri5hwbSOFnbZ_nhq-9RhPXns7WapcDOocVFMLZDTnnQnPxd1bgU6M

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Is this European second wave stuff ... a bit like we did a shit job here let’s take a bit of heat off and say that Europe are doing just as bad ... surely with small numbers small increases look like larger percentages ?!! 

Trying to make Boris look in control of it all.

Just now, steviewevie said:

it's still the 1st wave.

We'll get the 2nd wave in 2024.

Time it round fallow years. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Is this European second wave stuff ... a bit like we did a shit job here let’s take a bit of heat off and say that Europe are doing just as bad ... surely with small numbers small increases look like larger percentages ?!! 

In Europe less people were exposed to the virus due to more severe lockdowns. Our halfarsed effort of locking down means more people have been exposed so our risk of second wave should be lower if we get one at all. We’ll probably just have one long wave with slight peaks and troughs throughout the year. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don't know...not looking good in Spain.

It's all these bloody young people the horrible young bastards.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Time it round fallow years. 

In Europe less people were exposed to the virus due to more severe lockdowns. Our halfarsed effort of locking down means more people have been exposed so our risk of second wave should be lower if we get one at all. We’ll probably just have one long wave with slight peaks and troughs throughout the year. 

We only had 5-6 % infected though and 17% in London If I recall ... whilst obviously that will make a difference .... the fact we are less mobile and lots more wfh might be our saving grace ... I do think Boris is trying to look like he’s got a grip on things ... whilst we continue with higher death rates than elsewhere 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The 7 day rolling average of new cases is slowly creeping up now.