When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

If all these anti mask idiots started wearing masks we could suppress this virus even more and stop a second spike

What is this based on? 

Mask wearing is a relatively minor tool in minimising the spread of the virus and the vast majority of people are complying with the government advice/legislation by wearing a mask where mandatory. A lot are also wearing a mask where its not mandatory. 

I can't believe that a small minority refusing to wear a mask in the supermarket is going to have any significant impact on virus transmission so its really not worth getting worked up about. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I can't believe that a small minority refusing to wear a mask in the supermarket is going to have any significant impact on virus transmission so its really not worth getting worked up about. 

There's two problems. First the statistical one: if some people aren't wearing masks, and it's made clear there are no consequences to that, then other people will stop wearing masks. To the point that it will become a statistical problem. We know people don't want to wear masks - we know that by comparing how many were wearing masks the week before it became law compared to now. It was a lot. If it's made clear to those people that it's not a real law, and there are no consequences for not obeying it, they'll stop wearing them.

The second problem is more personal. Sure, statistically it doesn't make much difference if 1 in 100 or 0 in 100 people wear masks to the supermarket. Unless that one person is an asymptomatic carrier of COVID-19. In which case a lot of people have just been put at risk. And while we'll never have that level of contact tracing, if you got ill and ended up in hospital, and it could be shown it you got it from one person in the supermarket because they didn't have a mask on, how would you feel then?

And would you feel much different if that person wasn't wearing a mask for medical reasons than if they just didn't want to?

I got drawn into some arguments the other day, with people in a Facebook group for my home town in Essex (Thurrock to be precise - fun fact, had the 4th highest leave vote % in 2016 of 72.3%). The self titled 'anti-maskers' simply will not listen. Not to sound like a dick, but a lot of these people just aren't that bright. It's super frustrating as someone who does science research for a living to have these random people try and tell me that the scientists are lying/wrong, or cite a single paper which suggests masks aren't effective against the overwhelming sea of research suggesting the opposite!

I tried to have a meaningful discussion, show them some research papers which show that the current scientific consensus is in favour of mask wearing, they reply with a edited video of clips from briefings in March saying they do not recommend masks at that time. I explain that the scientific method is to change with new data. They send a paper which "proves" masks aren't effective. I check and it's not even a COVID study, explain this to them, and they still reply with "well its my choice and my opinion".

Someone also commented this which still makes me irrationally angry, and shows the level we're dealing with..

"Black v white left v right religion v religion now its mask v no mask

Look at the bigger picture its divide and conquer tactics"

I have now unfollowed the group, can't bring myself to do it anymore!

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What do people make of the below? I thought Germany were doing great and were good on the whole face mask thing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53566880

It's not just the wearing of masks in shops...it's work conditions in various places, hospitaility places reopening, relaxation of travel restrictions etc etc.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

I don't think it's the case up here, many shops are currently card payment only at the moment but even if it was it's nothing to do with the right to freedom of expression.

Our shop does accept cash we just ask people of they can pay card if possible and that set her off. It isn't a human rights issue.

Our business is completely cashless. pre-COVID too.

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

It absolutely is, it's a basic freedom to be able to trade one on one with another person, once cash is gone (and this a big step towards getting rid) all transactions will be recorded and authorised by the banks/government, at the moment there is nothing to stop you buying something from a mate and giving him cash, in the future that won't be possible and you will likely be taxed on(or forbidden if they don't like it) from trade of this type. There is massive ignorance on this thread about the loss of personal freedoms in all this, in the comments above there are proposals for identifying people that the nazis used, this from a anti fascist board.

If this worries you yhen get into bitcoin or bartering for chickens or use your own currency. In the real world nobody is banning cash just some shops temporarily not taking it to protect staff.

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Well I don't think we should be going down the pub either. And as I said supermarkets and public transport are essential services (hence why they continued running during lockdown). But for everything else I do think they should be straight up compulsory - as everything else is non-essential leisure shopping basically. I think part of the issue is we re-opened everywhere first, then said "you need to wear masks now". Had we re-opened shops on the basis that "they're open, but only if you wear a mask" then you'd get far better compliance because it would seem like we were being given something, rather than having something taken away.

The fundamental issue is that the virus doesn't care if you have a medical reason for not wearing a mask or you're just an arsehole. You increase your own and everyone elses risk by the exact same amount. I'd at least re-frame the guidelines to something like "if medical conditions prevent you from wearing a mask, you should avoid entering spaces that require a mask unless absolutely necessary". Our government instead is going "if you can't wear a mask then that's fine" and the response to that by a lot of people is "well if it's fine for them not to wear masks I shouldn't need to wear one either".

I dunno, compliance appears to be pretty good at the moment to be fair.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

they might have been being an awkward arse, but in England (not sure about Scotland) legal tender can't be refused for the settlement of a debt (which is a purchase once it's been agreed).

Yep, but the guidelines further state:

Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts...... It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. 

Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes.

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines/

Sounds like we're getting into the freeman of the land nutter thing a bit (Not you, the guy in the shop).