When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Been wearing one when out and about for a month or so now. You get used to them and compliance here is high. Just keep one in the car and another next to our wallet, keys, phone, handbag if you use one etc. That means you won’t forget to go out without one.   And remember to wash it at 60 degrees if it’s reusable and iron it if it’s cotton , that keeps it free from virus. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

just out of interest there is no official exception card / lanyard I presume ? 

Nothing officialy

Some info here and one available not download/print.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

But also be aware that the guidance states 

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this. Written evidence includes exemption cards.

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Nothing officialy

Some info here and one available not download/print.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

But also be aware that the guidance states 

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this. Written evidence includes exemption cards.

oh totally ... this is where it becomes difficult ... I know of someone with COPD thats wearing a mask because she doesnt fancy people looking at her for not wearing a mask ... and just wondered if there was something visual such as a lanyard that would prevent some of this 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

oh totally ... this is where it becomes difficult ... I know of someone with COPD thats wearing a mask because she doesnt fancy people looking at her for not wearing a mask ... and just wondered if there was something visual such as a lanyard that would prevent some of this 

Only thing I am aware of is the sunflower lanyard but that's not really specific to this issue, though would be a good indicator I suppose.

I guess the level of people who would take the piss saying they are exempt when not will be such low numbers anyway, its probably not going to make too much of a difference.

Though some of the people wearing masks and how they are wearing them, pulling rolled up dirty masks out pockets etc won't help either lol

I just joke with the customers and ask them once they have put their mask on

'Are you here to rob the bank today'? Guess it's the only time when banks are asking people to put masks on and not take them off before entering 😅

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I've got a friend whose got a local transport lanyard for when she gets the bus saying she's exempt, she still gets harassed constantly by other passengers for not wearing a mask

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I've got a friend whose got a local transport lanyard for when she gets the bus saying she's exempt, she still gets harassed constantly by other passengers for not wearing a mask

That’s so tough for them  ... anyone I saw today not wearing one the fair thing is to assume they are exempt 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Its clear from NY that there is some herd inmunity with badly hit areas

Been meaning to post this for a few days, but I'm taking leave for a couple of weeks from this evening, so haven't gotten around to it!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2768834

Basically, its the biggest seroprevalence study published to date. To cut a long story short, it estimates infections at somewhere between 6 fold and 24 fold higher than the official tally in the US (so, somewhere between 24 million and just under 100 million cases). The conclusion is that it's still along way from "herd immunity", but, that's antibody-based herd immunity. On top of underlying T-cell driven immunity (if it is important, and we still don't know for sure), who knows when we could reach a stage where infection predominantly results in mild symptoms (it already predominantly does, there's just far too many people with no immunity...but it's not entirely fanciful to think we could reach a stage where this CoV becomes endemic and circulates with the others, but just causes a common cold since we have all been exposed to one of them at some point and our T-Cells kick into action and clobber it before we develop serious symptoms)...anyway, interesting study, we'll have to wait to see what it really means, but one thing is for sure, infection rates are a lot higher than the officially recorded rates (we already knew this, and the modelling of disease transmission predicted it, but it's good to see hard data confirm it). 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

I guess the level of people who would take the piss saying they are exempt when not will be such low numbers anyway, its probably n not going to make too much of a difference.

Though some of the people wearing masks and how they are wearing them, pulling rolled up dirty masks out pockets etc won't help either lol

Exactly, its just not worth it.

I worry about the hygiene aspect too, so many people are not going to be regularly changing/washing their masks.  Seems unthinkable to someone who cares about these things, but lots don't.

That whole interview was pointless. It was over in a heartbeat, Laura pressed a couple of time’s on possible mistakes but when Johnson just kept saying about doing things differently she just left it. Cracking job.

I don’t know why I’m surprised they refuse to see any mistakes. They just want us to look forward as they have yet to make any mistakes in the future. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That whole interview was pointless. It was over in a heartbeat, Laura pressed a couple of time’s on possible mistakes but when Johnson just kept saying about doing things differently she just left it. Cracking job.

I don’t know why I’m surprised they refuse to see any mistakes. They just want us to look forward as they have yet to make any mistakes in the future. 

Apologies my humour got lost there ... yes it was and Laura k as expected ... channel 4 do some decent interviews in my opinion 

On our local news an elderly man in hospital recovering from covid! Requesting everyone wears a masks!
He was crying saying the worse thing was he had not been able to see his loved ones for four months he had no one to hold his hands but the nurse!! The fear in his face was heart breaking it reduced me to tears!! 
All we have to do is wear a mask if we are safe to do so! 
got to say lots of young people and kids wearing them today!! Young people with some pretty cool designs!! 

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

That's..quite a range

It is. It’s difficult to be accurate though as the lower end of infection in San Francisco was about 7 times less than the rate in NYC. Samples were collected up til May, so that dynamic has shifted again with SF higher now. Their best guess nationally is at least 10 fold higher than reported cases (which is exactly where we were with transmission models!)...