When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've booked my first class at my gym on Saturday (Pilates). They're only allowing 11 people in when before it would be closer to 30, but it was fine to book. They're taking temperatures at the door and changing rooms off limits to everyone but swimmers. I plan to go in a mask and then be led by what I'm told - I figure I will try to wear it in the common areas as a courtesy to reception staff etc. I feel somewhat apprehensive after so long doing the virtual thing, but does feel like a big step back to normality for me.

On the masks issue, Tesco was very low on take up for staff and customers this afternoon. Lowest percentage of masks I've seen in weeks weirdly. Maybe down to the heat as it's roasting in London today...

They've done away with the one-way system but no one was really following it anyway.

ZMG, glad you're able to get back. I know we were discussing a while ago and both a bit unsure. You'll have to let us know on Saturday how you found it.

At least numbers in classes are way down - should go a long way to helping things. I echo your thoughts on the mask entirely; I'll wear it there and at reception but ditch immediately I'm on the gym floor.

Mask takeup in general in Leeds city centre has been pretty shocking in my opinion - I always feel like I'm the weird one walking through town with mine on.

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Tesco has been terrible for mask uptake since the start, none of the customers wear them and the staff literally refuse. When I went in Waitrose a couple of months ago mask uptake inside was 40-50% I would say, whereas Tesco is closer to 5% on a normal day. Hopefully it will increase ton 90% + for customers as of Friday, but I can't see the Tesco staff wearing them. The staff in the three Tescos near me have no interest in social distancing either, they all go round chatting in massive groups. I've stopped going there but my mum is still doing click and collect from them.

Same in my shop ... but depends on how they are briefed ... strong message that we should be wearing them ... will report back fri 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks ... it’s saying my gym membership not active ... so will never know until I sign back up ... might make a trip back and ask what the uptake is for pool usage 

Sounds like a plan 🙂

I'll let you know what mine's like after a week (and hopefully 3/4 visits) as it might be reflective of the rest of the country.

Just now, zeppelin said:

Sounds like a plan 🙂

I'll let you know what mine's like after a week (and hopefully 3/4 visits) as it might be reflective of the rest of the country.

A bit like the pubs I’m sure ... it will take confidence to return and yes will be similar across the country ...

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Tesco has been terrible for mask uptake since the start, none of the customers wear them and the staff literally refuse. When I went in Waitrose a couple of months ago mask uptake inside was 40-50% I would say, whereas Tesco is closer to 5% on a normal day. Hopefully it will increase to 90%+ for customers as of Friday, but I can't see the Tesco staff wearing them. The staff in the three Tescos near me have no interest in social distancing either, they all go round chatting in massive groups. I've stopped going there but my mum is still doing click and collect from them.

When I was in Waitrose a lot of staff were in face shields as opposed to masks as well, bearing in mind this was like 2 months ago, but Tesco staff I've never seen a single one wearing any form of PPE whatsoever.

My experience of Tesco is that a lot more people were wearing masks a couple of weeks back, so I think it might be down to the heat. Not an excuse, just a theory. Its the only supermarket I've been in since the start and I've seen mask use steadily increasing up until today.

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

ZMG, glad you're able to get back. I know we were discussing a while ago and both a bit unsure. You'll have to let us know on Saturday how you found it.

At least numbers in classes are way down - should go a long way to helping things. I echo your thoughts on the mask entirely; I'll wear it there and at reception but ditch immediately I'm on the gym floor.

Mask takeup in general in Leeds city centre has been pretty shocking in my opinion - I always feel like I'm the weird one walking through town with mine on.

Thanks! Will do. Glad you've got booked in too. Do report back.

I think it will be fine largely, I just have a lot of reticence about the next steps generally. I wanted to see how easy it is to book and so far so good, but they've only released the timetable for Sat and Sun so far.

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

shame about all the dead people.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

shame about all the dead people.

That’s why the Tories will like those articles, they only tend to care about the economy. Which is why it’s even stranger that they didn’t plan economically for a pandemic. 

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but compared to it's neighbours not so good.

You’re right, a lot of their deaths were in care homes like with us.

But if nothing else it should give a bit of confidence to those who worry about easing lockdown. They had a self policed lockdown where pubs and bars etc remained open the whole time, yet their infection rates have just dropped off dramatically. Based on that evidence there is no reason we should see things getting out of control here doing the same thing.

7 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Didn't they have a big issue with care homes there like we did?  I wonder how they would have compared without that.

Yes, they did...but what do you do...keep them locked up and isolated for months on end? That idea was looked at here and the modellers predicted it would have been a disaster, which is why we had a quick change of plan. Anyway, compare Sweden to Denmark or Norway...more deaths, no economic benefit.

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You’re right, a lot of their deaths were in care homes like with us.

But if nothing else it should give a bit of confidence to those who worry about easing lockdown. They had a self policed lockdown where pubs and bars etc remained open the whole time, yet their infection rates have just dropped off dramatically. Based on that evidence there is no reason we should see things getting out of control here doing the same thing.

and they don't bother with masks.

:)

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and they don't bother with masks.

:)

And maybe if they had bothered with masks then their death rate would have been far lower than it is now.

Their deaths per 1m pop isn’t something to be proud of, neither is ours.

If we had all started wearing masks sooner in this country then thousands of lives might have been saved, I can only blame the government for that due to the ridiculous mixed messaging which is still ongoing.

Edited by FestivalJamie

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes, they did...but what do you do...keep them locked up and isolated for months on end? That idea was looked at here and the modellers predicted it would have been a disaster, which is why we had a quick change of plan. Anyway, compare Sweden to Denmark or Norway...more deaths, no economic benefit.

They have been isolated for months on end here anyway.  Wasn't it at the start where people were discharged from hospital into care homes that was the issue?  Had that not happened in Sweden, I just wonder how they would be doing compared to their neighbours.  Obviously lots died there, but was it down to the care home issue as opposed to the lack of a lockdown.  Also there must be some economic benefit to having no lockdown?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

WIsn’t it too early to compare the U.K. to other countries?

It’s probably too early to compare any countries, given the pandemic isn’t over yet.

But so far, the UKs death rate isn’t exactly a positive outcome, and neither is Sweden’s or Italy’s or Spain’s or Belgium's when we compare these countries to a lot of other countries.

The main difference being that the UK, Sweden and arguably Belgium all got hit with adequate warning. Italy were hit with absolutely no warning whatsoever but took as efficient action as they can, and since suppressing the virus their rates remain low. The outcome in Italy was unavoidable. Spain was hit in pretty quick succession, also an arguably unavoidable outcome.

In the UK we saw what was happening in Italy, we saw what was happening in Spain. As soon as spain went into lockdown, we should have immediately closed the borders and followed suit to save lives. But instead we waited and waited and waited until there was no other option but lockdown and look at the devastating outcome of our first wave. The reason the economy is so crippled is because we have had to all endure lockdown for so long. If we had gone into lockdown one week or two weeks earlier, then thousands less people would have died and the country would have been to able to open up a lot sooner.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cream Soda said:

They have been isolated for months on end here anyway.  Wasn't it at the start where people were discharged from hospital into care homes that was the issue?  Had that not happened in Sweden, I just wonder how they would be doing compared to their neighbours.  Obviously lots died there, but was it down to the care home issue as opposed to the lack of a lockdown.  Also there must be some economic benefit to having no lockdown?

doesn't seem to have been compared to its neighbours.

Sweden did have restrictions etc., social distancing, closed high schools, but didnt close bars/restaurants/gyms etc.