When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

That was quick, but most welcome. I was particularly surprised about The risk to Gorilla as it seemed successful in attracting plenty of quality acts.

A little closer to home for me, I’m delighted The Met in Bury has been awarded a sizeable sum from the Arts Council which should ensure it’s survival. 

2 hours ago, Waterdeep said:

Don't really buy the criticism of the Oxford vaccine as described in their Lancet paper. A 100 degree fever is a low grade fever, it really isn't something that will land you in hospital and there were only a handful of patients who experienced anything higher than that. Taking paracetamol for a day after the shot is nothing to write home about either (pretty common for kids when they get their shots). The side effects were all accurately described in the paper and self resolved with no intervention other than a mild analgesic (and when they noticed this helped, it became part of the protocol for everyone from then on). When I read the paper, nothing jumped out as problematic to be honest (certainly nothing that you don't see with the annual flu shot). The use of a different vaccine as a control is also being questioned, but the author answers their own question by explaining why (this would only become important if they were comparing severity of side effects relative to control, but they don't, they record severity in both arms and compare incidence). I'm not saying that there isn't a chance that some rare side effects could be picked up in the phase 3, or that longer term pharmacovigilance isn't required (of course it is, it always is), but nothing was hidden in the publication of the data and the media reports of it were more accurate than what was posted in the link above. The Moderna vaccine (and the Imperial one for that matter) are slightly different (platforms that have never had a vaccine approved for use to date other than in horses), so they remain a long way from having anything we can use (I really do expect the GSK/Sanofi boring old school vaccine to take over before the new RNA vaccines ever get into the clinic). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 10

6 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Don't really buy the criticism of the Oxford vaccine as described in their Lancet paper. A 100 degree fever is a low grade fever, it really isn't something that will land you in hospital and there were only a handful of patients who experienced anything higher than that. Taking paracetamol for a day after the shot is nothing to write home about either (pretty common for kids when they get their shots). The side effects were all accurately described in the paper and self resolved with no intervention other than a mild analgesic (and when they noticed this helped, it became part of the protocol for everyone from then on). When I read the paper, nothing jumped out as problematic to be honest (certainly nothing that you don't see with the annual flu shot). The use of a different vaccine as a control is also being questioned, but the author answers their own question by explaining why (this would only become important if they were comparing severity of side effects relative to control, but they don't, they record severity in both arms and compare incidence). I'm not saying that there isn't a chance that some rare side effects could be picked up in the phase 3, or that longer term pharmacovigilance isn't required (of course it is, it always is), but nothing was hidden in the publication of the data and the media reports of it were more accurate than what was posted in the link above. The Moderna vaccine (and the Imperial one for that matter) are slightly different (platforms that have never had a vaccine approved for use to date other than in horses), so they remain a long way from having anything we can use (I really do expect the GSK/Sanofi boring old school vaccine to take over before the new RNA vaccines ever get into the clinic). 

Upvoted, mainly because of the word pharmacovigilance.

• Upvote 1