When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

I went by a co-op yesterday and they still had the traffic lights.

So strange the inconsistencies between different stores and how some measures are being removed in some places but staying in others, and the pandemic isn’t over.

I wish more staff would start wearing masks.

I wish the staff would wear masks too, as aisles really narrow in co-op... pair that with people storming around the aisles with not a care in the world and it makes me nervous a contingent of people have really stopped trying :( 

4 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Email from work today who are a main high street retailer has said they are not changing anything in their procedures based on Bojo's announcement today, that's across all settings stores, HQ and DCs

That’s good!

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

something to do with reporting  .... ive lost it now .... we report deaths in England where covid has been diagnosed more than 28 days prior ... while they dont in others nations of the uk ... where's that article gone ?!!

This is interesting. 
https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronavirus-deaths-statistical-anomaly-public-health-england_uk_5f1163cec5b619afc4000188?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

The deaths is the thing thats confusing me ..... surely they should be lower than this now .... looking at Scotland , wales etc ...... is Matt Hancock right ? 

Seems in England if someone has tested positive but subsequently dies of say a heart attack or stroke then it’s counted as a Covid death. Not the case in Scotland.  Despite the positive spin put on the Scottish stats we’ve had over 4000 deaths. Considering our population is around six million, many in smaller towns and communities, that’s really high in comparison with similar sized countries such as Norway. The biggest tragedy is in care homes, over half of deaths in Scotland are in this sector .  This has to be the subject of an independent inquiry,  patients were moved out of hospitals into the homes to prepare for an influx of Covid cases. They weren’t tested. We need a uniform way of reporting across the United Kingdom. 

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Seems in England if someone has tested positive but subsequently dies of say a heart attack or stroke then it’s counted as a Covid death.

But it could still be a death caused by covid. We don’t know the long term effects of covid yet and this could be causing people to die subsequent to having the initial illness.

My aunt still isn’t better, and she had covid 3 months ago, she’s still not feeling 100% and it’s making me worried. 😔

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

But it could still be a death caused by covid. We don’t know the long term effects of covid yet and this could be causing people to die subsequent to having the initial illness.

Yeah the excess numbers are what we should be focusing on - but this is all giving legitimacy to the overblown/exaggerated thing and the timing absolutely stinks

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This is from The Guardian:

In Scotland, there is a 28-day cut-off, after a patient who has tested positive is not automatically considered to have died from the virus. Northern Ireland also uses the 28-day cut-off model.

Experts had already cautioned against relying too heavily on the daily death statistics – preferring instead to focus on the Office for National Statistics’ measure of excess deaths, which has passed 65,000.

So yeah it could be that issue still causing death figures to fluctuate. 

It almost certainly is. Plus while today’s reported fatality figure is higher than last weeks oddly low figure, and down on the two weeks before that.

I've been thinking more about Johnsons Press Conference earlier especially regarding all of us who have been working from home for the last four months. So from next month we will have the opportunity of preserving the value of inner city commercial property for its investment fund and oligarch owners, all for the small cost of risking us and our families health, along with wasting a significant part of the day, by commuting in to a desk to do a job that we have been doing perfectly well from your own home. Oh and don't forget to go to Prêt for lunch.

All because the Prime Minister now says we can go back to work (offices) 'if it's safe', who determines if it's safe? Our Bosses? Sorry but I have no faith that bosses up and down the country are qualified to make that call. How will people know if it's safe to go into the office, if it's 'covid secure'? 

Boris Johnson also described for the UK it has 'been a great success', there has been 45k deaths. What would a disaster look like? Take a moment and just think what would a disaster look like if 45k deaths is success.

Edited by Ozanne
Taking the £ sign out.

28 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Seems in England if someone has tested positive but subsequently dies of say a heart attack or stroke then it’s counted as a Covid death. Not the case in Scotland.  Despite the positive spin put on the Scottish stats we’ve had over 4000 deaths. Considering our population is around six million, many in smaller towns and communities, that’s really high in comparison with similar sized countries such as Norway. The biggest tragedy is in care homes, over half of deaths in Scotland are in this sector .  This has to be the subject of an independent inquiry,  patients were moved out of hospitals into the homes to prepare for an influx of Covid cases. They weren’t tested. We need a uniform way of reporting across the United Kingdom. 

indeed ... i only hope they now have the systems in  place to protect them when any second wave starts to appear ... or now for that matter ... bad enough to do it once but twice would be unforgivable ... fingers crossed and hope mrs AC is getting a well earned rest 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I've been thinking more about Johnsons Press Conference earlier especially regarding all of us who have been working from home for the last four months. So from next month we will have the opportunity of preserving the value of inner city commercial property for its investment fund and oligarch owners, all for the small cost of risking us and our families health, along with wasting a significant part of the day, by commuting in to a desk to do a job that we have been doing perfectly well from your own home. Oh and don't forget to go to Prêt for lunch.

All because the Prime Minister now says we can go back to work (offices) 'if it's safe', who determines if it's safe? Our Bosses? Sorry but I have no faith that bosses up and down the country are qualified to make that call. How will people know if it's safe to go into the office, if it's 'covid secure'? 

Boris Johnson also described for the UK it has 'been a great success', there has been £45k deaths. What would a disaster look like? Take a moment and just think what would a disaster look like if £45k deaths is success.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it all - it all tells me that 45k is the acceptable base level for going forward.....

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Boris Johnson also described for the UK it has 'been a great success', there has been £45k deaths. What would a disaster look like? Take a moment and just think what would a disaster look like if £45k deaths is success.

£45k? Are humans worth a pound now 

Looks like their road map wants normality across the board by spring. With that and Toilet Duck’s confidence, we are looking cautiously optimistic for a weekend on Worthy Farm next year.

When do you think I’ll be able to play 5-a-side football (outdoors?)

A53E16B9-8A56-4FEC-A75D-CF744C2CF4D9.png

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Looks like their road map wants normality across the board by spring. With that and Toilet Duck’s confidence, we are looking cautiously optimistic for a weekend on Worthy Farm next year.

When do you think I’ll be able to play 5-a-side football (outdoors?)

A53E16B9-8A56-4FEC-A75D-CF744C2CF4D9.png

I think once you start getting 25,000-35,000 people in stadiums (which will be partly enclosed)  it’ll be very very hard to stop having outdoor festivals. 

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

My aunt still isn’t better, and she had covid 3 months ago, she’s still not feeling 100% and it’s making me worried. 😔

Sorry to hear that, seems the post viral effects are still not clear. Hope she recovers soon. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Boris Johnson also described for the UK it has 'been a great success', there has been 45k deaths. What would a disaster look like? Take a moment and just think what would a disaster look like if 45k deaths is success.

Didn’t they mention that 20k deaths would be seen as a ‘success’ back at the beginning of all this?  Another move of the goalposts. 

28 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t they mention that 20k deaths would be seen as a ‘success’ back at the beginning of all this?  Another move of the goalposts. 

Every death from this virus in this country is a step further away from success. 0 deaths would have been the only thing the government could have reported a “success” without sounding like completely selfish plonkers.

Edited by FestivalJamie
  • Upvote 2

This is from a negative and nervous perspective, but cases in Europe are starting to climb yesterday and today.

Spain has seen over a thousand new daily cases two days in a row. France has seen +800 today and germany has seen over 500 new cases (very high for Germany).

Belgium also sees an increase of almost 200 new cases and Austria sees 170 cases. Both of these increases would equate to 1400 new cases in the UK.

I am panicking about a second wave and the summer isn’t even over yet...

Edited by FestivalJamie

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

This is from a negative and nervous perspective, but cases in Europe are starting to climb yesterday and today.

Spain has seen over a thousand new daily cases two days in a row. France has seen +800 today and germany has seen over 500 new cases (very high for Germany).

Belgium also sees an increase of almost 200 new cases and Austria sees 170 cases. Both of these increases would equate to 1400 new cases in the UK.

I am panicking about a second wave and the summer isn’t even over yet...

While its good to say informed, I'd say it may be beneficial to zone out a bit when it comes to individual infection rates in places. If it happens, it happens. All we can do is stay careful, wear a mask and do what we can individually. Worrying about a second wave isn't going to stop one unfort, it'll just make you stress out more.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I agree with zahidf. I read a lot about it but it sounds Jamie like you might need to take a step back from some of it, maybe just stick to how the UK is doing? It's clearly not doing you any good mate.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yep, one of many goalposts that were moved. 

Thanks for all your help and support guys. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t stressed out and nervous since things have reopened. I think I just need to try and chill a bit more and zone out rather than constant updates.

Nice to know that there’s all of us on here going through this horrible thing and that I can always come here for support when I’m feeling worried 🙂

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Thanks for all your help and support guys. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t stressed out and nervous since things have reopened. I think I just need to try and chill a bit more and zone out rather than constant updates.

Nice to know that there’s all of us on here going through this horrible thing and that I can always come here for support when I’m feeling worried 🙂

Hi Jamie, just to reiterate the sentiments above, I know all of this can seem a bit overwhelming at times, but we really are all in this together.

as things open up, case numbers will inevitably increase. By how much and in whom are of crucial importance though. Each of the countries mentioned will have a daily case number they feel they can manage. Hospital admissions (and crucially ICU admissions) will give you a better indication of what is happening with the outbreak at any moment in time. At the moment, everything is well within capacity. There’s no room for complacency, but short of complete shutdown again, avoiding an increase in cases is almost unavoidable. I honestly don’t think eradication is feasible in Europe (unless an unknown quirk of the biology of the virus leads to it), so for a while we will need to be comfortable with some level of the virus circulating. Just keep yourself and yours safe, if you find yourself in a situation you are not comfortable with, leave. We will all get out the other side of this. It will pass!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1