When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Glasto 2021 will go ahead (vaccine or no vaccine). Running a one-off event with advance testing is entirely possible. It may require no re-entry, but it can be run safely and pretty close to normal once in if everyone is tested before they enter (a week before and again the day before to be doubly sure)...some monitoring during the festival would reduce risk even further, for example, temperature screening and an onsite testing facility for those identified with a fever...could be run in the medical centre, though the ID Now test needs a bit more work...I wouldn't use temperature screening to decide entry, just to identify those who might need another test...

The other option (which is not as attractive, but, based on the course of CoV infection, is the safer route) would be to limit the festival to the 3 music days...anyone testing negative the day before they enter would be unlikely to be highly infectious by the end of the festival as, if it were a false negative, they would just be on the cusp of developing symptoms by the end of the festival and peak infectiousness occurs about 15 hours before the onset of symptoms, but you can pick up the virus in testing (with the molecular tests) within a day or so of having been infected. If push came to shove, I'd take 3 days over no days (though I'm firmly in the Wednesday beats Sunday camp! 😜). Of course, Biology can be unpredictable, and all sorts of outliers can occur, but based on the prevalence of the disease at the moment (if it's maintained like this), the chances of having hoards of highly infectious attendees is low enough to run with once you test before entry. 

The main reason it would not happen would be if large gatherings were still banned, but while we are understandably concerned about being able to visit the farm next year, there are many other large gatherings that make major contributions to society that would be off the table as well, so the incentive to find a solution is great (this should and probably will become part of safe international travel as well, so the logistical challenge now is to look at our testing infrastructure and decide what is needed to facilitate safe resumption of a range of activities). To be perfectly honest, it's actually easier to safely open festivals and sport than it is to open nightclubs, pubs and indoor live music venues (and, since festivals are less frequent than sporting events, it's easier again to open festivals...I honestly think they could be among first live music to come back properly...along with some outdoor gigs). 

There is a key dependency though. Track & Trace needs to work in order to contain local outbreaks...if we get massive second/third/fourth waves before a vaccine comes along, then everything is off the table. If this happened though, it would be a major failing by those charged with managing this public health crisis. Fire fighting in wave one when blindfolded by a lack of knowledge about the virus can be partially excused (not that some blunders weren't made). Making the same mistakes again and again in subsequent outbreaks cannot.  Whether there is an appetite to use testing to facilitate safe resumption of various activities is a great unknown...and I don't make policy, but this is how I would go about it (the caveat being, I'm entirely biased and want to sit in a field and drink cider next summer!). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/17/matt-hancock-calling-urgent-review-exaggerated-coronavirus-death-toll-13002134/

I hope that whenever he concludes its overblown and over exaggerated that he also has an explanation for the excess deaths figures, and doesn't sweep those under the carpet and leave the public thinking there isnt anything to worry about.

I'm absolutely sick of this "deaths FROM covid vs deaths WITH covid" shit that I keep having to hear from people I know who I thought were sensible. 

SOMETHING is killing that many more people than last year...

I think it will only account for small amount of excess deaths so far...but it's going forward that this may be more pronounced...people who got the virus during the spring but die of something else in the autumn...but gets put down as a covid19 death.

Still, at the same time many people have long term problems after contracting the virus....so that may complicate things further.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Just as the usual illness season starts. Around the time we're expecting a second wave if it happens? 

Fuck. October for gigs? They're fucking insane. 

They know they can say anything, then simply change the advice/regs nearer the time as they see fit and just blame a second wave/unforeseen circumstances etc. It's all about the feelgood factor for now.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think it will only account for small amount of excess deaths so far...but it's going forward that this may be more pronounced...people who got the virus during the spring but die of something else in the autumn...but gets put down as a covid19 death.

Still, at the same time many people have long term problems after contracting the virus....so that may complicate things further.

Depends.  Was including people who killed themselves/accidents e.t.c as well. 

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm a fan of all three - they're just the ones who get stick for 'not being big enough'!

Ah, with you. 

I didn't realise there was any debate about AF being big enough til the other day. The other two I fully understand 😜

1 minute ago, Homer said:

TBF, even our lockdown has been a lot better than whatever that is over in the States.

yeah...in the end different states had different levels of lockdowns and different restrictions...and even counties within states had different rules. The southern states are paying the price for being more lax.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

social distancing scrapped by November. Woohoo!

Fucking hell. If it was anything to do with public health it would be into the new year, but it's 100% solely about brexit and the Christmas economy. 

Extra NHS budget = we expect  "necessary sacrifices" 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

just have to hope and pray Europe doesn't get a resurgence like what's happening in US.

The Yanks have always been more susceptible to Swedish hair pop-rock than us, so hopefully we'll be spared them touring here.

• Upvote 2

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

How confident are people of gigs (outdoors I’m guessing?) by October. 

From my personal view Bojo is being very very optimistic and the threats of a second wave are very high, and could easily set us back to square one ie. national lockdown.

No lockdowns - economy can't deal with it, that's why more money is being put into the NHS. Hoping for the best...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/lollapalooza-co-founder-predicts-gigs-and-festivals-wont-return-until-2022-2709870

I've got a ticket for Glastonbury 2021 but I still don't have that much confidence in it going ahead. Saying it'll happen because we want it to, as opposed to whether it actually should... that's two very different things. 

Hope I'm wrong, obviously. 

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

How confident are people of gigs (outdoors I’m guessing?) by October. 

From my personal view Bojo is being very very optimistic and the threats of a second wave are very high, and could easily set us back to square one ie. national lockdown.

He said something about some live performances and outdoor gathering from 1 Aug I thought (I was frantically typing as he was speaking though).

1 minute ago, Homer said:

He said something about some live performances and outdoor gathering from 1 Aug I thought (I was frantically typing as he was speaking though).

He also mentioned live performances and stadiums to reopen as of October