When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

To me that article just makes the WHO sound even worse than I originally thought. 

To you maybe, but there are 500+ pages of wibble and speculation on this thread and the explanation given there clarifies far more than some of the ill informed but well-intentioned twaddle I've seen here over the last few months.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Copperface said:

To you maybe, but there are 500+ pages of wibble and speculation on this thread and the explanation given there clarifies far more than some of the ill informed but well-intentioned twaddle I've seen here over the last few months.

It really doesn’t. It makes them look ridiculous and they’re even criticised within that article for being too binary with their thinking. It may be an explanation, but that doesn’t mean their reasoning was good or sensible, far from it.  

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That's interesting...but these percentages are for preventing yourself catching it as opposed to giving to someone else?

I have a cloth mask that appears to be pretty useless.

If it has 0% protection against the virus coming in, how much more can it have to stop it getting out? The 0% can't be right really, as there has to be some protection against larger droplets (both ways) surely?

It really doesn’t. It makes them look ridiculous and they’re even criticised within that article for being too binary with their thinking. It may be an explanation, but that doesn’t mean their reasoning was good or sensible, far from it.  

dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't.

Whether it was called a pandemic or not, there were epidemics breaking out across the world and WHO were giving plenty of warnings and advice to prepare....

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That's interesting...but these percentages are for preventing yourself catching it as opposed to giving to someone else?

You need to have layers in the mask. 3 being the minimum. some don't seem to have this.

Masks are for protecting others though so not sure what the pictures above are saying apart from some are better than others. Need to look into whether surgical masks are washable as I do not want to be disposing my masks all the time and storing up another issue down the line.

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

If it has 0% protection against the virus coming in, how much more can it have to stop it getting out? The 0% can't be right really, as there has to be some protection against larger droplets (both ways) surely?

I tell you what...I wore mine the other day...and...it really could do with a wash.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't.

Whether it was called a pandemic or not, there were epidemics breaking out across the world and WHO were giving plenty of warnings and advice to prepare....

Have you read the article? The main thrust of the reasoning for not calling it a pandemic until March (March!!) was that they’d gone too early before and didn’t want to cause unnecessary panic. By calling it a pandemic too early they also didn’t want to countries to start taking unnecessary action.

Do you not think them ‘warning’ countries in January and February is somewhat undermined by this? 

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It came via a friend's friend... bit more information in the article below: 

https://t.co/2jHnirBZT8?amp=1

17 minutes ago, Copperface said:

It’s staggering, his refusal to criticise the U.K. governments handling of the virus yet completely tears into the WHO. To note I think the WHO haven’t been great either.

You’ll realise that that person doesn’t do any research into his point, as you’ve done you’ll have to do so yourself. He also breaches the governments current COVID guidelines so that’s the type of person you’re dealing with. 

Edited by Ozanne

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Have you read the article? The main thrust of the reasoning for not calling it a pandemic until March (March!!) was that they’d gone too early before and didn’t want to cause unnecessary panic. By calling it a pandemic too early they also didn’t want to countries to start taking unnecessary action.

Do you not think them ‘warning’ countries in January and February is somewhat undermined by this? 

They wanted countries with outbreaks or epidemics to stick to containment as much as possible before moving to mitigation...by calling it pandemic this meant go straight to mitigation everywhere.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s staggering, his refusal to criticise the U.K. governments handling of the virus yet completely tears into the WHO. To note I think the WHO haven’t been great either.

You’ll realise that that person doesn’t do any research into his point, as you’ve done you’ll have to do so yourself. He also breaches the governments current COVID guidelines so that’s the type of person you’re dealing with. 

he's Cummings.

13 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

You need to have layers in the mask. 3 being the minimum. some don't seem to have this.

Masks are for protecting others though so not sure what the pictures above are saying apart from some are better than others. Need to look into whether surgical masks are washable as I do not want to be disposing my masks all the time and storing up another issue down the line.

Ideal with the cloth masks with a slot to slide in something extra, I use a coffee filter that I buy in bulk anyway. Single use, then change it.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

They wanted countries with outbreaks or epidemics to stick to containment as much as possible before moving to mitigation...by calling it pandemic this meant go straight to mitigation everywhere.

Which is utter nonsense as highlighted in the article. Not one single country would just automatically switch strategy because they declared it a pandemic. We wouldn’t be having the arguments on here about the wildly different approaches countries have taken to deal with the pandemic if it was that binary. 

Which is utter nonsense as highlighted in the article. Not one single country would just automatically switch strategy because they declared it a pandemic. We wouldn’t be having the arguments on here about the wildly different approaches countries have taken to deal with the pandemic if it was that binary. 

so...what's the issue of when to call it a pandemic or not?

Just now, paulshane said:

[citation needed]

seriously, an infographic with zero source links is not a reliable source of information

I've posted a link to but it got sent to moderation and is hidden from view for some reason.

Screenshot_20200714-165414.png

Edited by vintagelaureate

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What a hill to die on, hindsight defence for the U.K. government and tears into the WHO. 

You get involved in conversations half way through without properly understating what’s being discussed.

The point of criticising the WHO is that their words and actions have had a direct impact on how well each country has been able to deal with the pandemic. People are suggesting the WHO was warning us about it back in January and February, but they themselves were too reluctant to classify it as something it clearly was a long time before that. 

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Hindsight is 20/20...