When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

What I don’t understand, is the WHO have been lying from the start. First of all saying masks are useless, then saying the virus is not airborne, and then u-turning all of that advice.

Something suspicious going on here to be honest.

I mean I’ve been wearing a mask since beginning of March, as that’s what I saw all the people in Asia doing, so I thought it was a good idea, and then when other countries like Germany, Italy and Spain mandated masks, I knew what I was doing was correct. I know the government tried to actively steer us away from masks in this country, but I always knew that they were just doing that to protect their supplies of PPE. They should really do a public statement now apologising for incorrect advice in March, and saying that this is new advice in line with WHO updated advice.

I understand your point though, I read a post online the other day, someone was saying that they weren’t going to wear a mask as the virus is only transmitted through touching your face. Obviously we know this isn’t correct now as the virus is airborne, which is exactly why it’s so key to wear a mask. But I understand what you are saying, some people still have the old, incorrect advice in their heads rather than the new, updated advice, which could be putting them off wearing masks.

I guess at the end of the day it’s down to the government’s mis-messaging from the beginning of the outbreak. If only we had been clearer on policies like Germany, spain and Italy we wouldn’t be in this position where people are finding it hard to trust that masks really do stop the spread.

Yeah something is definitely odd.  I think people have been given so much conflicting information they have been overloaded and don't know what to think anymore.

I'm not convinced about the PPE thing, I mean surely the govt has direct access to suppliers and they have to meet certain standards, etc?  The average person has either ordered cheap ones from Amazon/Ebay or somewhere, or made/bought a reusable fabric one.  In either case I don't see how that would impact the NHS supply.  Maybe that's just the excuse to avoid owning up the fact that they could have advised them sooner?

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

What I don’t understand, is the WHO have been lying from the start. First of all saying masks are useless, then saying the virus is not airborne, and then u-turning all of that advice.

I mean I’ve been wearing a mask since beginning of March, as that’s what I saw all the people in Asia doing, so I thought it was a good idea, and then when other countries like Germany, Italy and Spain mandated masks, I knew what I was doing was correct. I know the government tried to actively steer us away from masks in this country, but I always knew that they were just doing that to protect their supplies of PPE. They should really do a public statement now apologising for incorrect advice in March, and saying that this is new advice in line with WHO updated advice.

I understand your point though, I read a post online the other day, someone was saying that they weren’t going to wear a mask as the virus is only transmitted through touching your face. Obviously we know this isn’t correct now as the virus is airborne, which is exactly why it’s so key to wear a mask. But I understand what you are saying, some people still have the old, incorrect advice in their heads rather than the new, updated advice, which could be putting them off wearing masks.

I guess at the end of the day it’s down to the government’s mis-messaging from the beginning of the outbreak. If only we had been clearer on policies like Germany, spain and Italy we wouldn’t be in this position where people are finding it hard to trust that masks really do stop the spread.

Question, no offence meant. Do you talk about anything else other than face masks?

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive been having a discussion today with some co workers and saying its frustrating me that others aren't wearing them .... I made this point that it protects others and they told me they would wear them if they become mandatory :(  ... I also was talking to 2 friends who have decided amongst their fellow workers that they won't wear them in work vehicles ... the things those covid nurses and drs had to put up with .. and we are this selfish  it astounds me 

My observation in Scotland is that mask wearing in the shops I have been in has increased from maybe 25-30% to very close to 100% since it became compulsory. It reminds me of these mad few days in March when the Government said "you shouldn't go to pubs but we'll let them stay open just in case you fancy a pint"

18 minutes ago, LJS said:

My observation in Scotland is that mask wearing in the shops I have been in has increased from maybe 25-30% to very close to 100% since it became compulsory. It reminds me of these mad few days in March when the Government said "you shouldn't go to pubs but we'll let them stay open just in case you fancy a pint"

It seems like people are all ready to go ... they just need the word from the top ... sturgeon said that it was almost 100% will be interesting to see if we get the same here with current mixed messaging 

28 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

To be fair, not everything is a conspiracy or maliciously intended. WHO and others were trying to advise on a brand new virus, whose biology was unclear. They went with influenza protocols in the absence of any evidence that this respiratory virus was different. Since then, we have learned a hell of a lot and as it turns out, it spreads differently to influenza and the advice has changed. As we learn more, this will happen, so I don’t think they were deliberately lying at the outset, they just didn’t have the evidence to support a different approach. They still don’t have absolute proof, but the cumulative evidence now suggests a change is warranted. There will be more shifts in advice as more evidence accrues, it’s just the nature of dealing with a highly dynamic situation. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Imagine putting the health of the country at risk just so your wedding pictures aren’t ruined. 

Imagine thinkIn  that’s the reason just because someone said so on a forum.🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

Yeah something is definitely odd.  I think people have been given so much conflicting information they have been overloaded and don't know what to think anymore.

I'm not convinced about the PPE thing, I mean surely the govt has direct access to suppliers and they have to meet certain standards, etc?  The average person has either ordered cheap ones from Amazon/Ebay or somewhere, or made/bought a reusable fabric one.  In either case I don't see how that would impact the NHS supply.  Maybe that's just the excuse to avoid owning up the fact that they could have advised them sooner?

When I went on to Amazon to try to buy masks in March I was told that most of those appearing on the site were no longer available to anyone other than the NHS, so it appears that Amazon was one of their suppliers.  

50 minutes ago, st dan said:

Can somebody please remind me what the actual reason is why people don’t want to wear masks again?

Is it a medical thing? Or do people just think they’re above being told what to do? I really don’t get it. 

James O’Brien sums it up well. It’s a sign that you have acknowledged that trump, Boris, and all the right wing heroes who told you not to wear one have failed.

Throw in a bit of western exceptionalism too

Edited by Matt42

52 minutes ago, st dan said:

Can somebody please remind me what the actual reason is why people don’t want to wear masks again?

Is it a medical thing? Or do people just think they’re above being told what to do? I really don’t get it. 

IMO when you tell someone you have to do something there is always a contingent that will automatically want to do the opposite  - can it what you may rebelling, infringement of human rights, my choice, don't want to be muzzled etc etc

55 minutes ago, st dan said:

Because there are plenty of people who have noticed there is a pandemic killing loads of people and are concerned because they haven't yet found a way to make it All About Them.

51 minutes ago, mandolin said:

When I went on to Amazon to try to buy masks in March I was told that most of those appearing on the site were no longer available to anyone other than the NHS, so it appears that Amazon was one of their suppliers.  

Oh, that surprises me.  But if NHS suppliers were not selling to anyone other than the NHS then why the worry about running out of PPE.  They could have advised people to wear a home made face covering.  The current guidance after all is only for a face covering, it doesn't have to be a mask as such.

Went to first live gig for many months on Sat....  Massaoke (who we saw in Williams Green last year) played Henley Festival carpark,  We were allowed out of our cars and you could walk around and talk to others.  A bit weird in that there were no speakers on stage - all the sound was from car radios tuned to 87.7.   Not exactly a mosh pit, but it was better than nothing!

14 minutes ago, timbrass said:

Went to first live gig for many months on Sat....  Massaoke (who we saw in Williams Green last year) played Henley Festival carpark,  We were allowed out of our cars and you could walk around and talk to others.  A bit weird in that there were no speakers on stage - all the sound was from car radios tuned to 87.7.   Not exactly a mosh pit, but it was better than nothing!

I suspect mosh pits may be a little way off.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we'll be sick of wearing masks in a few weeks.

Alternatively, we'll be used to wearing masks in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1