When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-uk-face-masks-coverings-michael-gove-a9614376.html%3famp

Seems like the whole debate has been a waste of time and they aren’t going to become compulsory after all... what a waste of time them messing us all about.

What I find really really bad is the lack of supermarket staff wearing PPE, whether it be masks or visors, it’s like they want to get themselves infected??

Edited by FestivalJamie

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-uk-face-masks-coverings-michael-gove-a9614376.html%3famp

Seems like the whole debate as been a waste of time and they aren’t going to become compulsory after all... what a waste of time them messing us all about.

What I find really really bad is the lack of supermarket staff wearing PPE, whether it be masks or visors, it’s like they want to get themselves infected??

I thought that was what we had been discussing today ... the difference between Boris and Gove a few days later . :) .... Im just having a think about a letter / email to our CEO about face masks and if a company like mine could take some kind of lead on this ... with colleagues and customers ... in 2 weeks we have the shielders  returning to work and on the whole the company have been very good with time off fully paid .... I would like them to follow this up with making people safer when they return .... 

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

What I just don’t get about Michael gove saying that face masks shouldn’t be mandatory in enclosed spaces.... it’s almost like he wants thousands more people to die?

The government should be doing everything they can to protect the British people, health and economy are linked. The lower the virus cases, the more the countries economy can get started again. If everyone wears a mask in enclosed spaces, we can keep virus transmission low, reduce the deaths and health impact, and get the economy started again.

Its almost like Gove wants us to have another major second wave, killing thousands more people and shutting down the county again. He says “he’s trusting people’s common sense”- well lots of people don’t have any- it’s just a way to shift the blame onto the public when it all kicks off again!

They need to take some action! Make masks mandatory in enclosed spaces, compress the virus cases, save lives and restart the economy. It’s all linked. They are so fixated on rebooting the economy that they are forgetting the fact if they don’t do everything they can to stop the virus, thousands more people will die, more lockdowns, meaning the economy will be even more distraught.

(Masks have been “recommended” in shops for ages now, and yet people still don’t wear them- mask wearing has even gone down since the beginning of the outbreak in my local area. Unless they are compulsory and the government tells people to wear them, people just won’t get onboard and will do their own thing).

They need to get Boris on a podium telling us all to wear a mask because it's the only way we can have anything like a normal life. People will listen if he makes a fuss.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They need to get Boris on a podium telling us all to wear a mask because it's the only way we can have anything like a normal life. People will listen if he makes a fuss.

They can even put the latest 3 word slogan on the mask.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We haven’t had an address to the nation (complete with fists banging on the desk) for a little while now.

Surely there will be one before the whole Eat Out thing kicks off?

My best guess: Useless Dowden pops up on the 25th after the gyms reopen to announce that team sports are also going to be allowed (‘we haven’t forgotten about you guys’) and then Boris piping up with an Enjoy Summer Safely spiel to encourage people out - with masks ‘advised’ - ahead of August as we enter what he’ll describe as a final phase before Christmas?

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

You could also argue that humans as a whole are fucking up the planet and this is the planets way of fighting back. As Agent Smith famously said in The Matrix, "human beings are a virus" Covid-19 could be the anti-virus.

there is possibly something in this. We have reached peak human sapien...

Very small sample size but was in Morrison’s today and it was packed out and 100% masks.

They had a sign on the door saying that they were following the Scottish Government advice that masks were mandatory. If you had forgotten your mask they were happy to get you one.

I’ve just moved to Luxembourg and everyone here wears a mask, everything is open, shops, cafes etc, even some tourist attractions, but everyone wears a mask and social distances. Menus at cafes and restaurants are done via a QR code, everything is table service and card payment only. There is a bit of concern that there’s a small increase in cases but they are doing a lot of testing, when I arrived at the airport I was given a token for a free test. I don’t understand what this issue is with wearing a mask in the UK, surely it’s what people need to do to get on with their lives? 

5 hours ago, Smeble said:

I’ve just moved to Luxembourg and everyone here wears a mask, everything is open, shops, cafes etc, even some tourist attractions, but everyone wears a mask and social distances. Menus at cafes and restaurants are done via a QR code, everything is table service and card payment only. There is a bit of concern that there’s a small increase in cases but they are doing a lot of testing, when I arrived at the airport I was given a token for a free test. I don’t understand what this issue is with wearing a mask in the UK, surely it’s what people need to do to get on with their lives? 

It is but we are seeing that people are happy breaking the guidelines now just because what they are doing is considered small. It could be hugging family, meeting in larger groups inside than we are allowed to etc. It’s these people that will ruin all the progress made then most likely hop onto a social media account and claim everything isn’t as bad. 
Masks obviously would be a very good thing but if people break the rules that are in place it will all be for nothing. 

Caught a couple of trains across south London and back last night. Mask wearing in Clapham Juncton was prob at just over 50%, but, as far as I could see, when actually onboard all the trains I caught, pretty much everyone was wearing them.

31 minutes ago, Homer said:

Caught a couple of trains across south London and back last night. Mask wearing in Clapham Juncton was prob at just over 50%, but, as far as I could see, when actually onboard all the trains I caught, pretty much everyone was wearing them.

Ah i had the opposite experience at Clapham maybe three weeks ago. Everyone at the station was wearing a mask then maybe only 60% on the train itself. 

I actually noticed more people wearing them on the train than the tube. I think it's to do with the general heat and stuffiness of the central line. Not an excuse but might be why I saw far less take up on the tube. However the lack of ventilation down there probably means it's needed more.

13 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Sorry to be the confused person here but are the masks mandatory in transport hubs too e.g train stations/airports/etc. I know they should be mandatory on the actual transport but wasn’t sure if you didn’t have to wear them to a certain point 

You're supposed to wear them in stations as well.

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You're supposed to wear them in stations as well.

Must depend on the station. Lots of people go to Leeds train station to start a night/day out without getting a train. There’s a few pubs and places to eat there within the station building. 

Well, another ridiculous suggestion from a minister, quoted from the evening standard.

The Government's policy on face coverings in shops was plunged into further confusion today as a Cabinet minister said they should be "mandatory perhaps" and shoppers should decide whether to wear them in supermarkets based on how busy they are.

If this is what happens I will hit my head against the wall. That’s no difference to the policy already, and most people choose not to wear them regardless of how busy the shop is. Essentially, if this is what happens, it will have been kicking up a major fuss over nothing.