When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

40 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I completely agree, but I just don’t trust them anymore. If we all think the health and economic damage is bad now, their obliviousness means a second wave could happen, how bad is the health and economic damage going to be post second wave if it’s this bad post first wave?

I just think some people in this country need to wake up and realise this is far from over, we are in it from the long run and people need to start doing their bit if we don’t want thousands more to die in this country.

148 deaths yesterday too is hardly acceptable.... of course figures will be lower today “because it’s a Sunday”.

If they were able to control the news cycle properly, they would be able to keep a second wave out the news. All they need to do is take over the ONS and stop the excess deaths figures coming out, stop releasing the positive test numbers and the majority of the public would never know. 

There will be lots of deaths but no lockdowns or restrictions at all. If they've definitely decided they're living with this they should have the balls to actually come out and say it 

Would our response be different if they weren't wilfully destroying the economy again themselves in January?

Edited by efcfanwirral

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess the wishy washy area will be around medical exemption ... exemption could potentially be asked for at the door of a shop but certainly not by every member of staff .... how is medical exception being proved in Scotland ? Or is it just done on honesty ? 

As I say it just isn't if you want to go into a shop without a mask no one will stop you but having it as "mandatory" has lead to a marked improvement in the amount of people wearing them.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

As I say it just isn't if you want to go into a shop without a mask no one will stop you but having it as "mandatory" has lead to a marked improvement in the amount of people wearing them.

Yes I guess it’s just down to pressure from it becoming more and more socially unacceptable ... I certainly think it should be imposed by security at entrances but hopefully peer pressure will help once inside ... 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yes I guess it’s just down to pressure from it becoming more and more socially unacceptable ... I certainly think it should be imposed by security at entrances but hopefully peer pressure will help once inside ... 

At the moment I wear a mask most places I go, and I get funny looks from people.

I think the people not wearing the masks should be the ones getting the funny looks.

I feel quite uncomfortable wearing one because although I know it’s the right thing to do, not enough people are wearing them in this country, so you look like an outlier and people give you dodgy looks.

In my head I want it to be the other way round, I will keep wearing one, because as I said I think it’s the right thing to do for everyone’s safety, but I want those not wearing one to be the ones getting the dodgy looks, so that they are peer pressured into wearing them.

If they become “mandatory” in shops, then compliance will definitely go up, as people will think they are obliged to do it, and peer pressure will get to some of those who aren’t complying that they will feel obliged to do it to be “socially acceptable”.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

There was an announcement on the tannoy at Shepherds Bush last night saying that if you had a medical exemption you had to carry documentation, whatever that means. But again can't see it being enforced.

Yep that kind of letter is normally chargeable at a doctors surgery I think ... I had to get one for travel and getting my needles through customs ... hopefully drs can do some kind of roll out 

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yesterday I was in a shopping centre setting up a shop for reopening and across the day I'd say mask wearing was about 70/80%, today I went into my local sandwich shop for to get lunch and mask wearing was 0% so there is still a way to go.

Just now, mcshed said:

Yesterday I was in a shopping centre setting up a shop for reopening and across the day I'd say mask wearing was about 70/80%, today I went into my local sandwich shop for to get lunch and mask wearing was 0% so there is still a way to go.

Of my colleagues I’ve only seen 4 of around 200 that I’ve come into contact with wearing them at work ... I get it’s not easy for a while while working but it’s a price we need to pay for others just like the lockdown was ... my colleagues scare me tbh ... and I’ve no idea how to handle things 

From my limited experience (i've been incredibly cautious) mask wearing seems much less prevalent in supermarkets/corner shops. We've been sofa shopping, and there definitely more masks in the couple shops we've been to. The bus was 100% mask usage as well which was good to see.

Not sure why people seem to think supermarkets are inherently more safe?

I can’t remember who but someone said we all need to accept we are at the end of the beginning of this rather than the beginning of the end.

Stuck with me.

As mentioned before, Shattock seems more confident in his interviews and public appearances than any scientist should be. Let’s hope it’s not unfounded.

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

From my limited experience (i've been incredibly cautious) mask wearing seems much less prevalent in supermarkets/corner shops. We've been sofa shopping, and there definitely more masks in the couple shops we've been to. The bus was 100% mask usage as well which was good to see.

Not sure why people seem to think supermarkets are inherently more safe?

I think ou'll see a lot less people wearing masks in supermarkets, because they've been open the entire time without the government pushing masks. So people have done the whole pandemic without masks in shops. Plus it's essential shopping, so you'll just see more people without masks then someone who has decided to buy a sofa in these times. 

I now feel uncomfortable not wearing one. Where I live in Southampton more people are thankfully wearing them than not. Which is encouraging.

7 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I've seen hardly any people wearing masks by me.

I went the hairdressers on Tuesday and you had to wear them in there but other than that only maybe a handful of people out and about or in shops had them on!

it will be the sheep thing ... the more that wear them the more will follow as they won't want to be left as the last ones ... that and a strong message  that we must wear them will lead to the uptake we need and should have had 

In my opinion, supermarkets are one of the key places, along with public transport and in public toilets, where masks should be worn, given that the virus infected airborne droplets linger in the air and can travel across the supermarket aisles. I’ve heard lots of stories where people believe to have caught this virus in the supermarket.

Edited by FestivalJamie

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

In my opinion, supermarkets are one of the key places, along with public transport and in public toilets, where masks should be worn, given that the virus infected airborne droplets linger in the air and can travel across the supermarket aisles. I’ve heard lots of stories where people believe to have caught this virus in the supermarket.

Amazingly in my supermarket ... I just know of one person that’s likely to have had it from a workforce of 400 plus ... think we have been very lucky so far with lower infection rates though ... a few that have had symptoms but no positive tests 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just to clarify I said around 25% people weren't, not 25% people were. So around 75% to maybe even 80% compliance. Which is not bad. This is based on two half hour long journeys on the central line and stations. We also got two trains, which seemed better for compliance but much less busy, and two buses which I would say had about 95% compliance. So mixed bag.

You're right though. Gove is a plonker.

If it’s any consolation, the models that accompanied the Lancet paper that helped shape the shift in attitudes to mask wearing showed that around 70% of the population wearing even ill fitting masks would be enough to eventually drive transmission to 0. So 75-95% compliance is really very good and probably good enough (better than here in Ireland where folk really do seem to think it’s done and dusted even though case numbers are stubbornly stuck around 20 or so a day)...emerging evidence that any mask also reduces your own risk, so the folk that won’t wear one to protect others, may end up wearing one to protect themselves. We’re all slowly getting the message, hang in there! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

What do people think about the emerging pattern that there is an increase in cases in areas of high ethnic minorities? Is it the red tops being racist or is there something in this?

who knows...Leicester seems to be around clothing factories who kept workers working through lockdown.

Top 20

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/11/revealed-20-areas-at-most-risk-of-local-lockdowns

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

who knows...Leicester seems to be around clothing factories who kept workers working through lockdown.

Top 20

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/11/revealed-20-areas-at-most-risk-of-local-lockdowns

I live in Kirklees and am worried, I also feel that Kirklees is a huge area and unfair that we are being tainted with this brush when vast parts of Kirklees are following advice with certain communities within the area not following it.

24 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Wait, whats this? I haven't been checking in much this week, but now it seems outdoor concerts can happen? Is this a thing?

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Wait, whats this? I haven't been checking in much this week, but now it seems outdoor concerts can happen? Is this a thing?

Yep, with social distancing. Some companies are organising them where you get given a box to jump around in and shouldn't leave the box.

26 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

If it’s any consolation, the models that accompanied the Lancet paper that helped shape the shift in attitudes to mask wearing showed that around 70% of the population wearing even ill fitting masks would be enough to eventually drive transmission to 0. So 75-95% compliance is really very good and probably good enough (better than here in Ireland where folk really do seem to think it’s done and dusted even though case numbers are stubbornly stuck around 20 or so a day)...emerging evidence that any mask also reduces your own risk, so the folk that won’t wear one to protect others, may end up wearing one to protect themselves. We’re all slowly getting the message, hang in there! 

Thanks! Good to hear.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl