When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I used to think that, but now I think a lot of the impacts of Brexit will get burried/blamed on the covid aftermath. Remember the Tories were very successful in getting people to believe the 2008 crash was Labour's fault (think that's when labour lost their reputation on the economy). Right wing press will happily go along with that and will likely blame the EU for being' spiteful' and trying to 'destroy us' and Brexit voters will quite happily lap that up.

Yep it’s the perfect cover for it. One thing I do wonder if there is a no deal scenario, is whether the leavers feel like they’ve been duped or not.

It’s been well documented that no deal wasn’t  the argument vote leave put forward in the referendum, but people can fall into the trap of believing that was their viewpoint all along and they “knew what they were voting for”.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I used to think that, but now I think a lot of the impacts of Brexit will get burried/blamed on the covid aftermath.

yep, a lot of impacts will get cover from covid. That's unfortunate but it is what it is.

But some won't, too. Leave essentially promised that nothing would change from the public point of view, and people are going to notice changes and realise porkies were told.

I also think that companies who lose business due to brexit and lay people off aren't going to be quiet about the reasons why, and the more-rational leave voters will start to realise that 'project fear' was at least part true. 

Remember the Tories were very successful in getting people to believe the 2008 crash was Labour's fault (think that's when labour lost their reputation on the economy).

Brown made it easy for them: "no more boom and bust". We went bust. ;) 

Added to that is the benefit of hindsight, of all the things which Labour might have done before the financial crisis which might have made things less bad post-crisis: lower borrowing/lower investment; better bank regulation; etc, etc.

I don't think huge numbers swallowed the idea that it was all Labour's fault, but it didn't take a genius to see with hindsight where Labour might have done better.

Right wing press will happily go along with that and will likely blame the EU for being' spiteful' and trying to 'destroy us' and Brexit voters will quite happily lap that up.

brexiters aren't going to change their minds (not even the proper-mad Lexiters) - but not everyone who voted leave was a hardcore brexiter. 

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

Yep it’s the perfect cover for it. One thing I do wonder if there is a no deal scenario, is whether the leavers feel like they’ve been duped or not.

It’s been well documented that no deal wasn’t  the argument vote leave put forward in the referendum, but people can fall into the trap of believing that was their viewpoint all along and they “knew what they were voting for”.

Can def see this happening. The pound demonstrably dropped the second we left and still hasn't recovered - but lots of Brexiteers dismissed it as 'the pound always goes up and down'.

I can highly recommend this book about cognitive dissonance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=when+prophecy+fails&adgrpid=53351556476&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3vORl-_E6gIVg7HtCh1wEQy1EAAYASAAEgLkkvD_BwE&hvadid=259061588104&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045880&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13485967568815045321&hvtargid=kwd-299172358206&hydadcr=24405_1748889&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_6svaiy4utl_e

Edited by Homer

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/10/we-need-to-be-stricter-on-face-masks-says-boris-johnson?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

He’s such a twat. For months of saying there’s no evidence that face masks do much he now says we need to be stricter on it. Well maybe if you had given better instructions earlier we might be. 

Braving the tube for the first time since May today to see my parents. Surprisingly high number of people on the central line not wearing masks despite it being a legal requirement now. I have seen six on this carriage not wearing one since the journey started and one pulling theirs down to drink. And it's not busy.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Braving the tube for the first time since May today to see my parents. Surprisingly high number of people on the central line not wearing masks despite it being a legal requirement now. I have seen six on this carriage not wearing one since the journey started and one pulling theirs down to drink. And it's not busy.

Sad news. Tad surprising as I caught a 10-min train to Brixton last night and pretty much everyone I saw both ways was wearing them.

Anyone bitten the bullet and booked a foreign holiday? Going to Dorset and Tenby - but fairly set on driving over to France too. Only sticking point is if they test your temp on the way over and send you back, Anyone know the rules on this please?

27 minutes ago, Homer said:

Anyone bitten the bullet and booked a foreign holiday? Going to Dorset and Tenby - but fairly set on driving over to France too. Only sticking point is if they test your temp on the way over and send you back, Anyone know the rules on this please?

Going to Greece in September. Had to book something with the cash over from our cancelled Mexico trip.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

We'd already booked to go over to Alicante at the end of July. I was hoping it would be cancelled really, but no such luck.

Spoke to somebody who flew over yesterday and apart from temperature checks and masks, it was business as usual apparently. 

I'm apprehensive but I'm more scared of my wife than Covid, so we're going! 

1 hour ago, Northern Jack said:

We'd already booked to go over to Alicante at the end of July. I was hoping it would be cancelled really, but no such luck.

Spoke to somebody who flew over yesterday and apart from temperature checks and masks, it was business as usual apparently. 

I'm apprehensive but I'm more scared of my wife than Covid, so we're going! 

Okay ta. That's the thing I'm apprehensive about re booking France by car (failing a tempt test and wasting all the money!).

Re Greece, my attitude is ' paid for it ages ago, so if the flight takes off, I'll get on it'!

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Okay ta. That's the thing I'm apprehensive about re booking France by car (failing a tempt test and wasting all the money!).

Re Greece, my attitude is ' paid for it ages ago, so if the flight takes off, I'll get on it'!

It's probably wise getting on the plane before it takes off.

So with all this talk about making masks mandatory in shops, will that be the same in offices? 

I'm still on furlough but I work in an office, I can do my job with ease from home so if this mask thing comes into effect I'd rather be working from home mask free than stuck in hot office wearing a mask for 8 hours

To be clear I agree with mask wearing, I just don't like the idea of wearing one all day if other options available 

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

So with all this talk about making masks mandatory in shops, will that be the same in offices? 

I'm still on furlough but I work in an office, I can do my job with ease from home so if this mask thing comes into effect I'd rather be working from home mask free than stuck in hot office wearing a mask for 8 hours

To be clear I agree with mask wearing, I just don't like the idea of wearing one all day if other options available 

based on nothing whatsoever I reckon companies will start to make them a requirement in offices .... almost like some kind of duty of care ... imagine offices getting outbreaks once it had been decided they weren't necessary ..... It will become more of a standard practice and they will also be attempting to suppress winter flu by using them .... and im also not keen on the actual wearing but guess we are fortunate we dont have to wear the full PPE like those in the ICU s .... as well as the other bits they deal with 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

based on nothing whatsoever I reckon companies will start to make them a requirement in offices .... almost like some kind of duty of care ... imagine offices getting outbreaks once it had been decided they weren't necessary ..... It will become more of a standard practice and they will also be attempting to suppress winter flu by using them .... and im also not keen on the actual wearing but guess we are fortunate we dont have to wear the full PPE like those in the ICU s .... as well as the other bits they deal with 

My company have made them mandatory if you leave your desk but no need to wear them when you're at your desk. Assume that will be standard practice. 

1 minute ago, El Matador said:

My company have made them mandatory if you leave your desk but no need to wear them when you're at your desk. Assume that will be standard practice. 

id presume that you have social distancing at present so not needed .... what will happen when desks start to fill back up .... ? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

id presume that you have social distancing at present so not needed .... what will happen when desks start to fill back up .... ? 

Lot more homeworking. I read that London house prices will drop as people no longer have to go to offices and so move out. (I would imagine that the offices will turn into flats, driving prices down further.)

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Lot more homeworking. I read that London house prices will drop as people no longer have to go to offices and so move out. (I would imagine that the offices will turn into flats, driving prices down further.)

presumably companies that keep the offices will want to see them fully   used  though ...  so a bit of an awkward balance ...