When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Does anyone here ever check this site?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

For some reason the last few days the projection for UK has us turning to absolute shite come the autumn. This is a recent development, prior to this week it had us maintaining a relatively flat line going forward. I wonder what has happened in the last few days to make them change the curve.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

14 minutes ago, mazola said:

For some reason the last few days the projection for UK has us turning to absolute shite come the autumn. This is a recent development, prior to this week it had us maintaining a relatively flat line going forward. I wonder what has happened in the last few days to make them change the curve.

Probably as masks aren’t compulsory in this county whereas they are in other nations, and seeing as there is massive evidence they reduce transmission, the minimal amount of people wearing them in this country means it may well all kick off again.

You can see on their charts they only predict another spike if easing is introduced without universal masks.

Edited by FestivalJamie

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not surprising based on where they are mandatory ... if you add shops to that list the uptake will be loads more ... but I thought I’ve noticed them becoming more in use over the week I’ve been back .. so that evidence whilst behind showing more use is encouraging 

Saw loads more today actually - outdoors too which I'm not sure is entirely necessary but they may have been going in multiple shops. I tend to only go to one place and put it on when I arrive there 

20 minutes ago, mazola said:

When the autumn hits and people are spending more time indoors, sneezing and coughing more anyway, it'll kick off again unless there's a) the miracle we're all looking for (t cells/mass immunity we dont yet know about, virus burns out etc, or b) a concerted effort to double down on measures to combat spread e.g. mask usage even in pubs etc - so not complacency because of the "hur hur you doom mongers all said there would be a second wave from the beaches and it hasn't happened so the virus has gone away" shit. When actually it's just not spiked because people are mainly outdoors

I can see offices back and pubs not having social distancing anymore by October, because the government will be declaring victory on the virus when it doesnt spread much in summer as well...

Hoping for a miracle it is then...

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not saying I’m just saying having both options seems like a very sensible option. They are literally saying we can do that but we are choosing not to.

But there's no reason why if the Oxford vaccine isn't a goer that being part of this EU procurement plan will guarantee faster access.

It will also mean sharing fairly with our EU neighbours whereas on our own we can overpay like a bunch of bastards for more than our fair share.

I'm not advocating that sort of behaviour but it does seem very Boris.

25 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Probably as masks aren’t compulsory in this county whereas they are in other nations, and seeing as there is massive evidence they reduce transmission, the minimal amount of people wearing them in this country means it may well all kick off again.

You can see on their charts they only predict another spike if easing is introduced without universal masks.

We all know the government have been behind the curve in everything they do during this so it could be likely by that point facial coverings are compulsory, it’s impossible to tell what will happen during this time so I think we need to just ensure the infections remain as low as possible for the time being 

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It would also be nice to see the world numbers dropping ... I wonder how long this will take ? Are we going to be waiting for the vaccine for this ? Or will the numbers drop in 12months time ? 

Looking at this we know some continents such as Africa haven’t even reached their peak yet whereas Europe has a clearer curve, its likely we could see different areas cases and deaths dropping at the different times 

215FB437-B4D8-48EA-A94D-1819696D93BC.jpeg

Edited by Chapple12345
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Looking at this we know some continents such as Africa haven’t even reached their peak yet whereas Europe has a clearer curve, its likely we could see different areas cases and deaths dropping at the different times 

215FB437-B4D8-48EA-A94D-1819696D93BC.jpeg

Maybe there is some hope for Latin America there that’s the one that throughout has been most worrying for me ... although I’m presuming that’s most Brazil being the most populated

11 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

We all know the government have been behind the curve in everything they do during this so it could be likely by that point facial coverings are compulsory, it’s impossible to tell what will happen during this time so I think we need to just ensure the infections remain as low as possible for the time being 

There's been hints in the independent and telegraph today that face masks will be made compulsory in shops and other enclosed spaces in the coming weeks. Whether it's reliable or not I don't know.

It's very random timing, but it would be a positive change nonetheless. Way too late of a decision, but would still be a welcome change from me.

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

but but but .... we are world leading and have this world leading app ....oh fuck no we dont :( 

It really grates on me how everything they announce, be it an economic package or app, has to be world leading or world beating or some shit. 

No one's impressed. Just do what is needed to get us out of this mess. Give us a package that saves an industry - whether that's bigger than other countries gave or not. At least give us an app that works. 

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

There's been hints in the independent and telegraph today that face masks will be made compulsory in shops and other enclosed spaces in the coming weeks. Whether it's reliable or not I don't know.

It's very random timing, but it would be a positive change nonetheless. Way too late of a decision, but would still be a welcome change from me.

Pressure from elsewhere ... they would be complete idiots if Scotland for example starts seeing results from it ... good news indeed ... I wonder if shields are an acceptable replacement ? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

There's been hints in the independent and telegraph today that face masks will be made compulsory in shops and other enclosed spaces in the coming weeks. Whether it's reliable or not I don't know

It’s all too wishy washy. 

Mask use should have been brought in long before if they thought it needed to be compulsory, not nearly 4 months into lockdown. How do they define which indoor spaces are eligible for mask wearing or not? Clearly pubs & restaurants are a non starter so why would wearing a mask in a shop reduce the risk if everyone is going to be eating out to make the most of the food discounts.

What about shops that serve food? I know Morrisons want to reopen their cafes. Do you wear the mask in the main store and take it off in the cafe even though you’re in the same building. 

There hasn’t been any clear direction set out by the government, everything just seems to be an afterthought. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

51 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yeah, I get that but just wondered why they only changed the projection this week, previously we maintained a pretty flat line going in to Autumn according to them. I think Monday or Tuesday they massively changed the projection for the worse.

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s all too wishy washy. 

Mask use should have been brought in long before if they thought it needed to be compulsory, not nearly 4 months into lockdown. How do they define which indoor spaces are eligible for mask wearing or not? Clearly pubs & restaurants are a non starter so why would wearing a mask in a shop reduce the risk if everyone is going to be eating out to make the most of the food discounts.

What about shops that serve food? I know Morrisons want to reopen their cafes. Do you wear the mask in the main store and take it off in the cafe even though you’re in the same building. 

There hasn’t been any clear direction set out by the government, everything just seems to be an afterthought. 

I agree it’s backwards and there hasn’t been any clear direction, but stricter rules on face masks should keep transmission low enough to hopefully stop any significant second wave.

In terms of restaurants, pubs and cafes, I don’t think we will adopt the German/Spanish policy, but there, you must wear your mask upon entering and ordering (if at a counter), but once you are seated you can remove the mask, but you must put it back on when you are leaving or if you are going to use the toilet mid-meal. This would be the only sensible policy to follow, but I imagine we will come up with something more ridiculous.

Similarly to these potential new mask rules, quarantine should have been brought in in March, but came in way too late. The government is making these decisions months late and these decisions won’t do anything about all of those deaths we’ve had so far which are incredibly tragic, we can only just hope all of these new rules can prevent us having a significant second wave.

Edited by FestivalJamie

Just had an email from my gym. They're going ahead and opening on the 25th with booking required for gym and classes. Guess I will see nearer the time whether I can actually book anything!

It also says they advise members to wear a mask and gloves where they can, which is pretty vague. While exercising? Or just around the club? I've never bothered with gloves up until now as I don't see them as being any better than washing your hands - just as easy to transfer stuff from surface to surface.