When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Same, I can't run with my dodgy knees but you can't get me out of the pool once I'm in it. As soon as we can book lanes I'm in.

im not sure there will be enough space ... my pool is busy even in off peak times ... im getting the f5 finger warmed up for the gym now 

My pools run by Better, but their current plans are daft, I do hope they change it to one person per lane

As changing rooms and showers will be limited, we’re asking everyone who attends a swim session to come ‘pool ready’ with their swimming gear on under their clothes and having showered at home.

Due to coronavirus, swimming pools will have:

• No more than 10 swimmers in each lane of a 25-metre pool.
  • Double-width lanes so you can keep to a safe distance.
  • Chlorine disinfectant in the water management systems, which complies with the government’s regulations and is proven to disinfect pathogens, including viruses such as COVID-19.

When using the pool, please don’t overtake other swimmers to allow for a safe distance at all times.

TEN people per lane AND you can’t overtake!

Edited by Mr.Tease

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

My pools run by Better, but their current plans are daft, I do hope they change it to one person per

TEN people per lane AND you can’t overtake!

fuck that ... can you imagine it .... ok so you go with your dry gear on .... do u go commando when you leave ? i get pissed off when a 3rd person gets in my lane !!! ( quietly grumbling to myself ) 

Edited by crazyfool1

Nuffield seem to be asking you to shower at home if you use the gym, with showers reserved for swimmers. 

My gym is in the city centre about a 20min walk from mine. I don't think anyone needs me walking around unshowered after going 😕

Just now, zeppelin said:

Nuffield seem to be asking you to shower at home if you use the gym, with showers reserved for swimmers. 

My gym is in the city centre about a 20min walk from mine. I don't think anyone needs me walking around unshowered after going 😕

mines a 2 min walk from my flat ... I come home and shower anyway so thats no issue ... might prevent the casual swimmers bothering ? they might go straight home after gym workouts 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

mines a 2 min walk from my flat ... I come home and shower anyway so thats no issue ... might prevent the casual swimmers bothering ? they might go straight home after gym workouts 

Aye you could be right tbf. 

Mines actually more of a workers gym (and tbf another reason I chose it as it was 2 mins from my office) so I imagine footfall will be massively down just from that. 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I’m getting tired of them telling us that we have to do things to ‘help out’. I’ve been doing that for 3 months now, I’d like to know how these Ministers are personally helping. Are they going out for meals, spending their money or just happy telling us that we have to?

Well we all know the business they asking us to help is theirs. Want us to keep all these businesses alive until they at least repay their covid 19 loans. 

UK has opted out of EU coronavirus vaccine programme, sources say

EU to invest €2bn on vaccines now being tested but UK officials say scheme benefits are ‘limited’

The UK government has rejected the chance to join the European Union’s coronavirus vaccine programme due to concerns over “costly delays”, according to sources.

The EU is planning to spend around €2bn (£1.8bn) on the advance purchase of vaccines that are undergoing testing on behalf of the 27 member states.

Negotiations with Brussels have been ongoing but Alok Sharma, the business secretary, is believed to have opted out of the opportunity, according to The Daily Telegraph. The European commission is expected to be notified of on Friday.

The decision not to participate is expected to provoke a backlash among opposition MPs, who believe that ministers are reluctant to collaborate with the EU on projects after Brexit.

Government sources told the newspaper that officials fear signing up to the scheme could delay the rollout of a vaccine by up to six months while talks on distribution took place.

They also raised concerns that countries which opted in would be subject to a cap on the number of doses allocated to each member state.

“The terms just weren’t right for us. The EU scheme wouldn’t allow the UK to do anything more than it currently is,” one source said.

The above does sound disappointing and this utter lack of cooperation with the EU makes me a bit sad. I guess they think we have a great shot at a vaccine with the Oxford and Imperial ones so there’s no need to bother collaborating with Europe? Every man for themself doesn’t really work in a pandemic though.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

The above does sound disappointing and this utter lack of cooperation with the EU makes me a bit sad. I guess they think we have a great shot at a vaccine with the Oxford and Imperial ones so there’s no need to bother collaborating with Europe? Every man for themself doesn’t really work in a pandemic though.

The lack of International cooperation in all this has been maddening. The thing with the Oxford vaccine is that it's likely to only offer partial immunity and likely for a limited time, we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket- latter vaccines may be more effective. If this is genuinely being done for practical reasons (doubt it), fair enough, but if it's just ideological reasons (like with the opt out of the ventilators)...

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

I’m inclined to keep an open mind on it for now, as far I was aware the Oxford one is available to everyone, each country just needs to agree a distributor to manufacturer which I believe a number of different countries have already done. There is every chance signing up to this EU scheme could slow things down in that respect. 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So we potentially have our own vaccine, but we should sign up to a scheme to delay us getting it?

We should keep all options open- Oxford might be the first vaccine, but likely it won't be the best- we could end up having the shittest vaccine in the world further down the line, while the government desperately tries to play the "but it's British!" line.

It just seems like it could be a waste of money, Oxford vaccine already has distribution agreements for most of Europe. It’s also waaaay ahead of any other vaccine. No doubt others will come along, but when? The Oxford one has already been produced and is ready to go by the end of the year:

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-to-supply-europe-with-up-to-400-million-doses-of-oxford-universitys-vaccine-at-no-profit.html

33 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It just seems like it could be a waste of money, Oxford vaccine already has distribution agreements for most of Europe. It’s also waaaay ahead of any other vaccine. No doubt others will come along, but when? The Oxford one has already been produced and is ready to go by the end of the year:

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-to-supply-europe-with-up-to-400-million-doses-of-oxford-universitys-vaccine-at-no-profit.html

It's been produced just in case it gets the green light, it's by no means an indication that it'll pass the trials.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

UK Govt just want to be seen as separate and removed from EU as possible...it's just politics. I don't think wise to hedge all bets on one particular vaccine though.

Its win win for them - we get there first, then great. We don't and we can't access it, more "evil EU" propaganda to get more support for hard Brexit..

It’s a purely political decision the gov are betting on the Oxford one as then they can come out and take all the credit for themselves. They can’t do that with an EU scheme so it’s why they don’t want to join. We can do both. Surely ‘keeping an open mind’ would be to have both options available and not close down one instantly.