When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Thread on the vaccine. Be interested on toilet ducks expert opinion!

It’s all pretty realistic...without a crystal ball, what’s discussed in the thread is entirely possible. There’s things I hope for in there (masks when sick would be nice!) and the projections for vaccines and therapies aren’t overblown. All certainly possible. The other thing that would change things is better testing. The ones we have are accurate, but slow (and start to work a few days after infection). Quick, point of use tests that work before you become infectious would open up a lot more things (and would be pretty much all we need to have Glasto next year). There’s some exciting developments on that front, but still too early to tell if they will work out following validation. I’d expect better tests in the near future though. 

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s all pretty realistic...without a crystal ball, what’s discussed in the thread is entirely possible. There’s things I hope for in there (masks when sick would be nice!) and the projections for vaccines and therapies aren’t overblown. All certainly possible. The other thing that would change things is better testing. The ones we have are accurate, but slow (and start to work a few days after infection). Quick, point of use tests that work before you become infectious would open up a lot more things (and would be pretty much all we need to have Glasto next year). There’s some exciting developments on that front, but still too early to tell if they will work out following validation. I’d expect better tests in the near future though. 

A few in the other thread are saying “vaccine or bust” for Glastonbury. Sounds like you’re not in that camp then?

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

A few in the other thread are saying “vaccine or bust” for Glastonbury. Sounds like you’re not in that camp then?

No, it can be managed with testing. To be honest, I’d be surprised if many on here have had a vaccine shot by the time Glasto rolls around (Unless they are on the frontline or in a high risk category). 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

No, it can be managed with testing. To be honest, I’d be surprised if many on here have had a vaccine shot by the time Glasto rolls around (Unless they are on the frontline or in a high risk category). 

Thankyou for your continued voice of experience and reason on this.

So...the exam question, and sorry if this has been asked of you before....knowing what you do now and how things are going, how comfortable would you be with sharing a few fields with 200,000 people next June?

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Nearly at 500 pages for this little baby, I wonder where we’ll be when this shit does finally end? 

Are we going with the same theory as per the headliners thread? Vaccine announced once we hit page 1,000

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Thankyou for your continued voice of experience and reason on this.

So...the exam question, and sorry if this has been asked of you before....knowing what you do now and how things are going, how comfortable would you be with sharing a few fields with 200,000 people next June?

Try and stop me! 😁

in all seriousness though, I expect us to have an even better handle on things by then. Better therapies, better testing, better contact tracing and who knows, even a vaccine that works a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So what happens when someone gets tested positive but shows no signs at all of the virus, then get told to self isolate for 7or 14 days which they do, is re-test then done and if still positive have to continue to self isolate if they are still not showing any symptoms

Edited by cidy

9 hours ago, cidy said:

So what happens when someone gets tested positive but shows no signs at all of the virus, then get told to self isolate for 7or 14 days which they do, is re-test then done and if still positive have to continue to self isolate if they are still not showing any symptoms

If had two positive tests 14 days apart but had shown no symptoms then I think the assumption would be at least one of those tests was incorrect?

Economically this tory govt has so far been more left wing than previous ones, much more public spending and state intervention...and looks like this is what Johnson/Cummings had planned even before the epidemic hit. So, as labour shift to the right on both economics and social policy there will be less difference between the two main parties again, and they will be judged more on competence...which could help labour under Starmer.

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Another day another example of Boris really not caring about the people who’ve worked so hard in the health service this pandemic.

16EF58FC-CFC2-41B7-9A6B-2FACD3747E08.jpeg

Imagine if we were all paid in claps

I look forward to the day when covid-19 is such a long and distant memory, people stumbling on this thread in the efestivals forum archives see the title and assume it was started by someone sat on a long drop during the festival. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waterdeep said:

still so much we don't know about this virus. This is worth a listen too about some of the long term symptoms...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2020/jul/07/covid-19-why-are-people-suffering-long-term-symptoms-podcast

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Which basically confirms all of this “wash your hands” and the hand sanitiser stations are a waste of time, as the virus is spread by airborne droplets rather than from touching surfaces.

This means the best method to prevent transmission is widespread use of masks in indoor areas, something most countries have already enforced, but something the uk still really lags behind on.