When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Hmm, why October?  Are they expecting there to be something to say on a daily basis at that point?  Or is this going to be a new thing now indefinitely and not just covid related?

The way I read it was not Covid related, but not sure. Maybe they're just getting it in now in case and if there's no Covid issues to speak of they'll use it for propaganda/transport announcements etc.

9 hours ago, Simsy said:

It's good that we've got these measures in place, but ultimately it's only for people who can't work at home. If you can do your work from home it seems ridiculous that you'd have to go in just cos the boss doesn't trust people to do their job.

9 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Bit in bold is the problem with some of the management as yeah I'd be going in there to review/reply to electronic documents :( its nuts

We've been really lucky on this front. Company took very swift action to send everyone home before lockdown even started, and we've got a similar approach to Simsy whereby you're in the office by exception and as agreed with line manager.

The bonus for my dept is that our Finance Director is of the "people in the office" mindset. He's 40ish so it's not quite an old school thing, and it's not that he doesn't trust people but he is very much of the thinking that we work better in offices. Anyway, this whole shebang has forced him to reevaluate that position, and he's really coming round to the fact that everything has functioned just fine working remotely. 

He's actively been seeking opinion from the dept on how much we want / need to be in the office in future, so I think we might see a real change in approach there in future.

The place where I'm working reopened the office this week. Only 30% of normal number of people allowed in at any time, no communal tea/coffee etc, half the desks out of bounds. You have to book a week in advance to secure your place. Sounds grim tbh. Can't see me going back for a bit but there is no pressure for anyone to (and especially not me as freelance anyway). It's more for people who are really struggling to work at home.

10 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I have to say I find wearing a mask difficult as I wear both glasses and a hearing aid so the bloody thing gets a bit tangled/uncomfortable. So I've opted for a anti-viral coated snod thingie which is miles better, I only go to the supermarket so wear it every time now as folk not caring about social distancing much these days :( 

Anyone on here work in an office, if so what sort of measures have they put in place and do you feel safe? My office opened last work at 50% capacity but that's still 400 people in a building all day, something I'm not comfortable with due to all the shared areas (toilets, canteen and kitchens) plus I'd struggle to wear a mask for 8hrs IMO

Daft thing is I can do my work from home but some of the management have old school ways that you have to be sat in your office to do your job!! I've been on furlough since 1st April and still not date of when I'm due back but my manager is going back into the office next week 3 days. Which is nuts as job can be done from home and she is supposed to be shielded (saying that she was one of those folks who didn't think the virus is that bad, not so sure now mind you)

I'm really nervous about it all :( 

Maybe you could wear the mask when you go to the communal areas but not when at your desk?  According to the current ONS statistics out of the 400 people in your office, 0.16 people are likely to have the virus.  

10 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53257101

Something something... thread title.. something something... easy joke ...

they've picked up Covid in sewerage in Barcelona from December - another example of it being in Europe a lot earlier than was first presumed.

6 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Hmm, why October?  Are they expecting there to be something to say on a daily basis at that point?  Or is this going to be a new thing now indefinitely and not just covid related?

So they currently hold these daily press briefings in private for journalists, this is where the government line of the day on whatever issue comes from this move is to make them public

Just now, mcshed said:

So they currently hold these daily press briefings in private for journalists, this is where the government line of the day on whatever issue comes from this move is to make them public

I see.  Well that seems like it can only be a good thing.

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

they've picked up Covid in sewerage in Barcelona from December - another example of it being in Europe a lot earlier than was first presumed.

Ditto Italy: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-53106444

Coupled with the case in France from December it looks pretty conclusive that it was in Europe last year.

Just now, Cream Soda said:

Is this..good news?

In theory it should be because it should mean a lot more of us have had it, yet the antibody test results don’t support that. Therefore it suggests maybe the T-cell stuff and ‘immunological dark matter’ theory are perhaps far more important and need to be investigated a lot more. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In theory it should be because it should mean a lot more of us have had it, yet the antibody test results don’t support that. Therefore it suggests maybe the T-cell stuff and ‘immunological dark matter’ theory are perhaps far more important and need to be investigated a lot more. 

I wonder why it didn't spread faster if it's been around longer.   Or I suppose it did but was put down to other things (flu, etc).

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

I wonder why it didn't spread faster if it's been around longer.   Or I suppose it did but was put down to other things (flu, etc).

I think that’s where there are still so many mysteries and unanswered questions, which is why I’m pretty positive about Glastonbury going ahead next year. I kind of feel like in the next few months there will be some sort of big breakthrough in terms of knowledge about how it works that will change a lot of things.

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

i'm pretty sure i read a while back that the first uk death from covid has been revised (via after-death testing) to someone who died a few weeks earlier than what was announced as the first death - so I guess that got put down to flu or something similar at the time.

44 minutes ago, zahidf said:

UK quarantine over july 10th for around 50 countries

When I heard this reported on the radio they played a quote from some idiot member of the public saying how they don't get why we're doing this and that we're putting our country at risk.

As if it isn't the other way round

I hope these countries don't reciprocate 

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

I see.  Well that seems like it can only be a good thing.

I dunno it's replacing Bad Al Campbell's chum up with the journo's spin with Dom Cummings's come up with a simple lie to the public spin. I'm not sure which is better I'd certainly need to see some before I say it's an improvement.

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

I know a few people who had the worst flu they've ever experienced this winter. Really took it out of them for longer than usual. Mostly around end of December and beginning of January. So they are all wondering if they had it then. Our was out just a bad strain of flu

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

if covid19 was spreading in UK in December/January wouldn't we have had a lot more excess deaths earlier than we did?

Maybe, but deaths are really heavily skewed towards much older people and those with underlying conditions. We’ve seen with the lockdown it still takes a long while for infection rates to drop down to really low levels. The same would apply in reverse, it would have hit London first and taken a good month or two to really gain traction. The more are risk groups wouldn’t have generally speaking been amongst those exposed at the start, it would’ve taken a lot longer to work its way to them in care homes etc. We’ve also seen it can take a couple of weeks to take hold and two three weeks beyond that to be fatal. 

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Maybe, but deaths are really heavily skewed towards much older people and those with underlying conditions. We’ve seen with the lockdown it still takes a long while for infection rates to drop down to really low levels. The same would apply in reverse, it would have hit London first and taken a good month or two to really gain traction. The more are risk groups wouldn’t have generally speaking been amongst those exposed at the start, it would’ve taken a lot longer to work its way to them in care homes etc. We’ve also seen it can take a couple of weeks to take hold and two three weeks beyond that to be fatal. 

Just have to see what easing of lockdown, more travel and schools going back does to infection/death rate in the late summer and autumn...it really is like we're in a big petri dish.

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well 1 days worth of death figures are actually from 14 separate days. Looking at that a reasonable estimate for how many deaths are really happening is probably between 10-15 per day.

Yes, but that figure needs to therefore be multiplied by 14 as there are death figures released on every one of those 14 days, so you're looking at 140-210 every day, which is what is actually happening.