When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oh I think this is still a way off and would not necessarily be testing carried out by PHE (or indeed public bodies anywhere). The difficulty at the moment is that since it's a notifiable disease, the tests need to be performed in a certain type of lab. How that evolves will determine who can offer tests, but I wouldn't envisage using public testing capacity to facilitate this. Turnaround time is for the standard PCR test, which is being used in most places. We're installing a system that takes 15 minutes and can process 48 samples at a time (so about an hour and a half to test an entire medical class). Everything is in one cartridge, so no reagents or anything need to be added, just pop the swab in, swirl it around a bit and run the sample. There are higher throughput instruments, but this is enough for us. If this became something that just had to be a part of life, there's options other than the standard WHO protocol for testing that could be used. But it's premature at this stage to suggest this will become normal, we'll probably have other options by the time we start packing into venues again!

If we do get to a very quick test type scenario for live music and other events (and of course the contracts are set up so that the data can be used!), could this help to stop the spread in general? If more non-ill people are getting tests that wouldn't normally unless they got symptoms, surely that means we pick up more of the asymptomatic cases? And then if they test positive they have to self isolate until a negative test, whereas no symptoms would've meant they carry on as normal if they hadn't been tested to try to go to an event

I’m a secondary teacher and today’s news has consumed my day. I’ve been an irritable mess. There are so many parts of their plan that shows that none of them have ever been in an actual public school or even rode a bloody bus. What a nervy time coming up. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If we do get to a very quick test type scenario for live music and other events (and of course the contracts are set up so that the data can be used!), could this help to stop the spread in general? If more non-ill people are getting tests that wouldn't normally unless they got symptoms, surely that means we pick up more of the asymptomatic cases? And then if they test positive they have to self isolate until a negative test, whereas no symptoms would've meant they carry on as normal if they hadn't been tested to try to go to an event

Yes, any increase in private testing would help catch asymptomatic cases. So long as the tests are performed properly, it should all help. Same goes for companies testing their employees etc.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ONS saying decline in number of infections is levelling off.

They’ve been saying that for the past few weeks, but also that case numbers are so low it’s difficult to tell.

Edit, just checked and it’s down on last week, it was 0.07, 0.1, now down to 0.04:

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Interesting, my area (Windsor and Maidenhead) was listed yesterday as one of the 36 areas that could be close to local lockdown. I mentioned at the time it was odd because as an area we’ve had 300 cases total so next to nothing. According to that list we’re right at the very bottom, last week we had 2 cases per 100k, this week 0.7 per 100k so a decrease of 66%.

So that list yesterday was complete media bollocks based on nothing.

That's interesting, I had thought perhaps that list had taken those with high % increases, regardless of how many infections it was starting from.

I live in Wandsworth was is on the list and it has increased 44%, from 9 infections two weeks ago to 13 last week. I'm not sure that's local lockdown territory, at least I hope not. When you have case numbers that low there is bound to be fluctuations up and down and sensitivity like that could create 'hotspots' just by shifting the data windows used by a day or two. 

Just now, Chef said:

That's interesting, I had thought perhaps that list had taken those with high % increases, regardless of how many infections it was starting from.

I live in Wandsworth was is on the list and it has increased 44%, from 9 infections two weeks ago to 13 last week. I'm not sure that's local lockdown territory, at least I hope not. When you have case numbers that low there is bound to be fluctuations up and down and sensitivity like that could create 'hotspots' just by shifting the data windows used by a day or two. 

Maybe there was an increase from the week before or something. I think maybe what they did was look at percentage increases without actually looking at case numbers and based it on that. According to that list Leicester is very high but equally has only increased from one week to the next by a tiny margin.

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes, any increase in private testing would help catch asymptomatic cases. So long as the tests are performed properly, it should all help. Same goes for companies testing their employees etc.

But I guess more employees out of action damaging the economy, higher number of cases scaring the public so them not going out and spending will make this type of thing pretty undesirable for the government. Asymptomatic seems to be out of sight out of mind but actually sounds to me like the key to all of this one way or the other 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Maybe there was an increase from the week before or something. I think maybe what they did was look at percentage increases without actually looking at case numbers and based it on that. According to that list Leicester is very high but equally has only increased from one week to the next by a tiny margin.

To be honest, absolute numbers don’t really tell the whole story anymore. Context is key now. 100 people infected in a meat processing plant where are contacts are known and traced is not the same as 100 unconnected individuals in the same town, infected by community transmission with many unknown contacts...but the absolute case load is the same. So, places they are worrying about are those with increasing trends in community transmission since the potential to grow out of control quickly exists. If you can isolate an outbreak at a single site, containment is still possible. 

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

To be honest, absolute numbers don’t really tell the whole story anymore. Context is key now. 100 people infected in a meat processing plant where are contacts are known and traced is not the same as 100 unconnected individuals in the same town, infected by community transmission with many unknown contacts...but the absolute case load is the same. So, places they are worrying about are those with increasing trends in community transmission since the potential to grow out of control quickly exists. If you can isolate an outbreak at a single site, containment is still possible. 

Yes I 100% agree, it was just that my area was one of the places quoted by sky etc as close to local lockdown, but on the tweet I quoted earlier it had 0.7 cases per 100k last week, and 2 cases per 100k the week before.

So I’d imagine it was based on maybe having 1 case per 100k three weeks ago (or maybe even 0) increasing up to 2 for the week before last. A large percentage increase but not grounds for a local lockdown. 

This is so true. They blamed the Lib Dem’s in 2015, they blamed the EU in 2016, they blamed Corbyn in 2019, they blamed PHE in 2020 and now the blame is shifting onto the public. When will people wake up and realise that the people to blame are this Tory government. They are to blame for everything.

• Upvote 1