When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

I always wear one whenever I go to the shops, supermarket or any enclosed spaces.

The scientific evidence supports this, virus transmission is increased in indoor spaces and universal masking reduces transmission rates. So I personally think it’s really important to wear them in shops, supermarkets, cinema foyers etc.

I have no faith in the uk government to u turn the policy and make them mandatory in shops, although at the moment it is “strongly recommended”, I just feel like it’s way too late to u-turn the policy.

Our cases have stopped decreasing now and the curve has flattened off so it would actually be a sensible time to make face masks mandatory in shops and indoor spaces to keep transmission sustained down so the cases don’t start to rise again.

im going to be wearing my visor when I return to work tomorrow and ive every intention of wearing a facemask to .... will see how I go but did a trial yesterday and hopefully should be able to wear it during my whole 6 hour shift .... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I haven't worn one, but I haven't been on public transport or anywhere where I have felt it impossible to socially distance.  Some people have found it difficult in supermarkets but that hasn't been my experience.

I was in m&s two days ago and it was so crowded in there and no one was bothering to keep their distance, people were barging past me etc without masks on. Made me feel very uncomfortable and I would feel much more comfortable personally in these kind of scenarios if everyone was wearing a mask, as I would know transmission risks are way lower.

People just don’t bother to social distance in the supermarkets anymore which is why I think masks are necessary as people don’t even bother to keep 1m apart, let alone 2m 

I was in m&s two days ago and it was so crowded in there and no one was bothering to keep their distance, people were barging past me etc without masks on. Made me feel very uncomfortable and I would feel much more comfortable personally in these kind of scenarios if everyone was wearing a mask, as I would know transmission risks are way lower.

People just don’t bother to social distance in the supermarkets anymore which is why I think masks are necessary as people don’t even bother to keep 1m apart, let alone 2m 

See I hear this a lot but I just haven't experienced it whatsoever.  Maybe I'm lucky and have caught it a quiet time, I don't know.

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is anyone on here wearing a mask regularly? Only worn one once (the one time I caught public transport). I just went to a supermarket and it didn't even occur to me to wear it (slightly worrying)/

I'm wearing one at the supermarket, it's the only inside space I'm going to other than home. 

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Most people who have to get a bus right now are doing so because they need to go on an essential journey and are medically unable to drive. Those conditions stopping them driving may also prevent them wearing a mask. 

Or they don't have a car or don't drive? Appreciate I'm in a city but public transport is not just used by people medically unable to drive!

In answer to the earlier question I always wear a mask in shops now, although I don't go to many. Most people don't.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Or they don't have a car or don't drive? Appreciate I'm in a city but public transport is not just used by people medically unable to drive!

In answer to the earlier question I always wear a mask in shops now, although I don't go to many. Most people don't.

I wonder if Bojo and Co will make it compulsory in about a months time... probably too little too late once again!

27 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Most people who have to get a bus right now are doing so because they need to go on an essential journey and are medically unable to drive. Those conditions stopping them driving may also prevent them wearing a mask. 

I completely understand that, and the reason I put medical exemptions in inverted commas is because a lot of people are pretending to have medical conditions so they can get out of wearing one. Apparently hay fever is a reason for not wearing a mask on public transport now, i don’t know if this is really a valid excuse or not?

I think people who have genuine medical exemptions should be excused from the policy because as you said taking public transport can be an essential journey and people may have no choice, it’s fair enough and people who medically and physically  can’t wear one, shouldn’t have to, but I’m just fed up of people making up random excuses, that was my point.

Please feel free to correct me if hayfever is a genuine exemption to the policy, people are saying “they will sneeze the mask off” which just sounds ridiculous to me, and if they are sneezing they could easily be spreading covid on the bus.. all the more reason for them to wear one!

We are lucky in this country, a lot of places in germany have a no mask no entry policy. We are lucky here that people with genuine medical exemptions who find it hard to wear one don’t have to, as in other countries they wouldn’t have a choice.

Im just actively encouraging everyone who can wear one to wear one in every enclosed space they visit, the lower we can make virus transmission the more restrictions can ease and the more we can see friends and family and do the things we love (like gigs maybe, just maybe!) so if you can please wear a mask in enclosed spaces and get this virus suppressed!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Right, gonna start wearing a mask at the shops, etc from now on. My wife just reminded me she's got some half-decent Reebok ones she ordered for us coming, so that will help to embed into my psyche hopefully.

Once you start doing it, it really just becomes second nature.

I completely understand that, and the reason I put medical exemptions in inverted commas is because a lot of people are pretending to have medical conditions so they can get out of wearing one. Apparently hay fever is a reason for not wearing a mask on public transport now, i don’t know if this is really a valid excuse or not?

I think people who have genuine medical exemptions should be excused from the policy because as you said taking public transport can be an essential journey and people may have no choice, it’s fair enough and people who medically and physically  can’t wear one, shouldn’t have to, but I’m just fed up of people making up random excuses, that was my point.

Please feel free to correct me if hayfever is a genuine exemption to the policy, people are saying “they will sneeze the mask off” which just sounds ridiculous to me, and if they are sneezing they could easily be spreading covid on the bus.. all the more reason for them to wear one!

We are lucky in this country, a lot of places in germany have a no mask no entry policy. We are lucky here that people with genuine medical exemptions who find it hard to wear one don’t have to, as in other countries they wouldn’t have a choice.

Im just actively encouraging everyone who can wear one to wear one in every enclosed space they visit, the lower we can make virus transmission the more restrictions can ease and the more we can see friends and family and do the things we love (like gigs maybe, just maybe!) so if you can please wear a mask in enclosed spaces and get this virus suppressed!

I will be encouraging all my colleagues to be doing the same ... its bonkers people just think its gone now ... if the colleagues start wearing them it will encourage more customers .... we are like sheep as humans .... nobody wants to be the first ... I really didnt believe that they were effective when we first went into lockdown .... but now I can totally see how ridiculous I was being ... hopefully the scotland thing will make people think its just a matter of time here ... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I will be encouraging all my colleagues to be doing the same ... its bonkers people just think its gone now ... if the colleagues start wearing them it will encourage more customers .... we are like sheep as humans .... nobody wants to be the first ... I really didnt believe that they were effective when we first went into lockdown .... but now I can totally see how ridiculous I was being ... hopefully the scotland thing will make people think its just a matter of time here ... 

I definitely think the amount of people wearing them has gone up in general since they became compulsory on public transport though. Apparently scientists now say 30% of the British public are wearing them in enclosed spaces/difficult situations and this was due to making them mandatory on public transport, if they become compulsory in shops too then I think a lot more people will start wearing them in general.

I know Cineworld are contemplating making them mandatory in cinema foyers and a lot of art galleries they are “strongly recommended”, and in a lot of theme parks you have to wear them on the rollercoasters, so I think all of these things will increase the amount of people wearing them in different scenarios, which is a good thing. I just wonder how long it takes the uk government to click into making them compulsory in shops (if they ever do) as more people venture out to shopping centres etc from July 4th when restrictions start to ease more.

45 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is anyone on here wearing a mask regularly? Only worn one once (the one time I caught public transport). I just went to a supermarket and it didn't even occur to me to wear it (slightly worrying)/

Yeah, we're wearing them now every time we go into the shops.  We're in a village so don't have to wear them out and about in general, and we're still pretty much staying at home so it's not that regular. But if you keep one with your shopping bags, or by the front door, or next to your keys or something like that, it does become second nature. It's not that bad once you get used to it.

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

Wearing them during a pandemic is one thing but if a vaccine or effective treatment is found I wouldn't personally see any need to continue after that.

Talking to a Chinese friend of mine about that, and he reckons it's basically seen as a common courtesy in large parts of east Asia. Not necessarily all day every day, but certainly if you have a cold or a sneeze or something like that it just becomes standard to wear one so you don't splutter on other people. Has a lot going for it when you think about it.

27 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I wonder if Bojo and Co will make it compulsory in about a months time... probably too little too late once again!

I reckon he's holding back until just after his wedding, just as he held back lockdown till after Carrie's babyshower.