When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Matt42 said:

Would mandatory masks at events work? If it saves the industry I don’t see why it would be an issue!

If events also provide masks I can see it working.

The one issue is our bloody government don’t seem to think of them as important apart from public transport at the moment ... 

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

The schools thing is a nightmare. I work in a university, and in order to adequately socially distance (sticking with the 2 metre rule) lecture theatres are cut to 12.7% of usual capacity. It's just not going to work.

Aren't we at the wonderfully wooly "1m+ if you can't effectively manage 2m", or does that not apply to lecture halls?  

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Would mandatory masks at events work? If it saves the industry I don’t see why it would be an issue!

If events also provide masks I can see it working.

They’d help a bit. The problem is the practicalities. For a lot of people events go hand in hand with getting pissed, removing your mask every few minutes to swig a pint is going to reduce their effectiveness. Plus trying to talk to friends and other people mask or no mask you’ll be shouting in their ear etc. It would help no doubt, the question is will they help enough all things considered to make them worthwhile enough and tip the scales from an event being not viable to viable.

Just now, ogriff said:

Aren't we at the wonderfully wooly "1m+ if you can't effectively manage 2m", or does that not apply to lecture halls?  

We are at that stage nationally. From the (scant) communications we're receiving from our higher ups, I'm getting the feeling they're trusting the judgement of our own experts that 2 metres is safer than "1+".

Masks may be the future of everyday life if this is a virus that we have to live with. It’s not only Covid19 they help prevent either. The common cold and flu viruses are also kept at bay by them. 

For them to become an accepted part of everyday life then fashion icons and sports teams need to promote them. My football team had some branded ones for sale briefly. They bought a large number for the teams staff to wear and put the rest in the club shop. They flew off the shelves so fast a lot of people didn’t even realise they went on sale. 

I’d be happy wearing a Glastonbury branded mask the same as I wear one of my glasto t-shirts. What needs to happen is the standardisation of filter sizes. 

The big stumbling block and probably the main reason why the UK government isn’t pushing for masks as part of everyday life is security. There are the most number of CCTV cameras per square mile in London than anywhere else in the world. Facial recognition is a huge part of that system. 
You know when you go to your local pub and there’s a sign saying no baseball caps. It’s not a fashion thing, it’s to make sure everyones faces are clear for CCTV to see. 
The whole population wearing masks would be a nightmare for security services. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Masks may be the future of everyday life if this is a virus that we have to live with. It’s not only Covid19 they help prevent either. The common cold and flu viruses are also kept at bay by them. 

For them to become an accepted part of everyday life then fashion icons and sports teams need to promote them. My football team had some branded ones for sale briefly. They bought a large number for the teams staff to wear and put the rest in the club shop. They flew off the shelves so fast a lot of people didn’t even realise they went on sale. 

I’d be happy wearing a Glastonbury branded mask the same as I wear one of my glasto t-shirts. What needs to happen is the standardisation of filter sizes. 

The big stumbling block and probably the main reason why the UK government isn’t pushing for masks as part of everyday life is security. There are the most number of CCTV cameras per square mile in London than anywhere else in the world. Facial recognition is a huge part of that system. 
You know when you go to your local pub and there’s a sign saying no baseball caps. It’s not a fashion thing, it’s to make sure everyones faces are clear for CCTV to see. 

https://www.ft.com/content/42415608-340c-4c0a-8c93-f22cdd4cc2d6 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Wearing them during a pandemic is one thing but if a vaccine or effective treatment is found I wouldn't personally see any need to continue after that.

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Wearing them during a pandemic is one thing but if a vaccine or effective treatment is found I wouldn't personally see any need to continue after that.

That’s fine if this virus goes away but if it doesn’t and with a potential new variant of swine flu rumoured to be emerging then this could end up becoming our way of life. 

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Face coverings in shops to become mandatory .... Scotland so far ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53252760

And once again the English government is left behind the rest of the world. We are probably now one of the only few european countries who don’t require masks to be worn in shops and supermarkets. The evidence is there, they just don’t act upon it!

I have no faith in the English government to change the policy, but it should have been the policy months ago. No wonder our cases and deaths are so much worse than the rest of Europe when they were all so strict with masks from March and we are still oblivious to using them.

They might be compulsory in public transport in england but the amount of people I’ve seen without them on the bus is crazy, most people seem to have a “medical exemption” as to why they can’t wear them.

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

And once again the English government is left behind the rest of the world. We are probably now one of the only few european countries who don’t require masks to be worn in shops and supermarkets. The evidence is there, they just don’t act upon it!

I have no faith in the English government to change the policy, but it should have been the policy months ago. No wonder our cases and deaths are so much worse than the rest of Europe when they were all so strict with masks from March and we are still oblivious to using them.

They might be compulsory in public transport in england but the amount of people I’ve seen without them on the bus is crazy, most people seem to have a “medical exemption” as to why they can’t wear them.

Is anyone on here wearing a mask regularly? Only worn one once (the one time I caught public transport). I just went to a supermarket and it didn't even occur to me to wear it (slightly worrying)/

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Most people who have to get a bus right now are doing so because they need to go on an essential journey and are medically unable to drive. Those conditions stopping them driving may also prevent them wearing a mask. 

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

i wonder if pressure will bear down on them and this might change .... late as always with this government !!

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is anyone on here wearing a mask regularly? Only worn one once (the one time I caught public transport). I just went to a supermarket and it didn't even occur to me to wear it (slightly worrying)/

I haven't worn one, but I haven't been on public transport or anywhere where I have felt it impossible to socially distance.  Some people have found it difficult in supermarkets but that hasn't been my experience.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I always wear one whenever I go to the shops, supermarket or any enclosed spaces.

The scientific evidence supports this, virus transmission is increased in indoor spaces and universal masking reduces transmission rates. So I personally think it’s really important to wear them in shops, supermarkets, cinema foyers etc.

I have no faith in the uk government to u turn the policy and make them mandatory in shops, although at the moment it is “strongly recommended”, I just feel like it’s way too late to u-turn the policy.

Our cases have stopped decreasing now and the curve has flattened off so it would actually be a sensible time to make face masks mandatory in shops and indoor spaces to keep transmission sustained down so the cases don’t start to rise again.

• Upvote 2