When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Being in Tameside I don't like that we are 10th on that list, it's not like its mad busy round here but alot of folk do fit the essential services sector so probably been working right through. Problem is we are a mass transit route for public transport from the outer boroughs into central Manchester so this could effect numbers - I have no idea tbh

That list is based on health authorities. It’s probably because you have a hospital in your area that serves large parts of Manchester and the surrounding towns. You may not have many cases in the actual area but they will be recorded as being in Tameside due to the hospital being there. 

Williamson going to outline the plans for schools in September. Be interested how my kid's school deal with it, she is at a big school, over 300 in each year group. She has GCSEs next year and is cacking it and hoping and praying they get cancelled or watered down or something...think she might be disappointed, infact they are thinking of delaying the exams till July which will just prolong the agony.

Could the deaths not decreasing at the same rate as cases situation be caused by patients being treated for longer (unfortunately sometimes unsuccessfully) than they were at the time that they contracted the virus? I.e. with more capacity in hospitals and more options they are taking longer to die than before. An extreme example of this might be that they would be taken off ventilators sooner if they were under higher demand?

I honestly have no evidence to back this up, just a theory to try and explain some odd data

13 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Could the deaths not decreasing at the same rate as cases situation be caused by patients being treated for longer (unfortunately sometimes unsuccessfully) than they were at the time that they contracted the virus? I.e. with more capacity in hospitals and more options they are taking longer to die than before. An extreme example of this might be that they would be taken off ventilators sooner if they were under higher demand?

I honestly have no evidence to back this up, just a theory to try and explain some odd data

Reporting of deaths is way behind reporting of cases. Deaths feed into the stats from sometimes months ago. The actual number of people who died of Covid yesterday will be a lot lower than the number that was reported for yesterday.

Edit: This is when the deaths announced yesterday actually happened:

image.thumb.png.95c2c27ec38620acae0e911f9d13af43.png

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Thank you so much for this

Am I reading this wrong or are figures coming down? I believe ONS are publishing their weekly figures today including pillar 2 - fingers crossed the trend downwards continues 

F3681343-2F9C-42F2-9B77-7EED69C16D49.thumb.jpeg.8c54dc38540875fd22aba5cef9f7f7ff.jpeg

Point 2 is interesting - we now have another testing station so a total of 5 out of 50 in the rest of the country. I also understand we have been targeted with extra random postal tests. Whilst I totally understand the principle of ‘test, test, test’ more cases will surely be found. Are the % positive tests against negative tests taken into account - then as an average over the rest of the country - if that makes sense?

If not, I can see us in perpetual lockdown?

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Interesting! What time? Because of the Leicester situation do we think? Or maybe a "go and get pissed but be careful" ahead of the weekend?

I haven’t seen a time but I presume at 5 like they used to be. I think it’s an announcement about schools as the new this morning was schools back in September with no social distancing. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I haven’t seen a time but I presume at 5 like they used to be. I think it’s an announcement about schools as the new this morning was schools back in September with no social distancing. 

Ah I see. So they've not binned them off forever. Press briefing crew reassemble! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Neil said:

come on, shurely you know by now that snippers have no sense of humour when it comes to the cause? God is to be treated with respect, no criticism allowed (with some even having to put that pledge in writing).

👍. No politician or party should be immune from a bit of spitting image style lampooning. Without that we would have no what I’ve got news for you, mock the week etc. It’s all about balance. A career in education taught me that even with a little bit of authority you get this! 

Ofqual also consulting as to whether GCSEs and A Levels have a later start in 2021 of on or around 7 June. Imagine that might impact on both teachers and students that might otherwise attend in 2021

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

This whole schools thing is just such a mess - it’s just not going to work.

Not blaming the government for this one though, there is simply no solution that would work in practice. 

yeah, I think it's going to be very difficult for teachers to implement...