When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyone off to the pub on Sat just out of interest ?  ive got a haircut booked but thats all im intending to do close contact this year .... ive written off pubs until it all calms down and possibly for this year ....

Not the pub drinking as such, but I am eating out at a local restaurant Saturday and a quiet pub Sunday so I'm expecting it to be pretty civilised.  I'll be interested to hear people's experience about pubs/bars in busier places though.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyone off to the pub on Sat just out of interest ?  ive got a haircut booked but thats all im intending to do close contact this year .... ive written off pubs until it all calms down and possibly for this year ....

Tempted if any near where I live haven't got queues etc.

Just now, Cream Soda said:

Not the pub drinking as such, but I am eating out at a local restaurant Saturday and a quiet pub Sunday so I'm expecting it to be pretty civilised.  I'll be interested to hear people's experience about pubs/bars in busier places though.

im going to walk past our local wetherspoons just to try and get a take on the carnage ..... if I do go back earlier it will be to a smaller one .... its going to be a case of working out how they operate and judging based on that 

We have zero cases, and have had zero cases the last two days. The last week or more all cases were asyptomatic and found through workplace screening only …. it feels very strange (nice but strange)  . Borders open on Friday so likely to change, athough ferries to France already cancelled all this weekend due to industrial action ! And pubs are only open from today … I may just go for a pint, (you do have to book a table though and its only table service)

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

We have zero cases, and have had zero cases the last two days. The last week or more all cases were asyptomatic and found through workplace screening only …. it feels very strange (nice but strange)  . Borders open on Friday so likely to change, athough ferries to France already cancelled all this weekend due to industrial action ! And pubs are only open from today … I may just go for a pint, (you do have to book a table though and its only table service)

fantastic news .... its great to see some areas seem to have got a handle on it ... just wish that was a bit more widespread than it is currently ... enjoy :) 

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don't particularly like most of the pubs around me so in no rush. Certainly not this weekend. 

The bar at my place is opening this weekend. I work on the hostel side of things so thankfully I'm not having to go in yet. We don't open that up until the 17th.

44 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Hopefully some good news from the Oxford vaccine:

'Right response' seen in vaccine trials

The right sort of immune response has been seen in trials for a potential Covid-19 vaccine at the University of Oxford, a parliamentary hearing has been told.

The trials have now entered the Phase III clinical stage.

Sarah Gilibert, professor of vaccinology at the university, told the government committee that the trial had enrolled 8,000 volunteers for the next stage.

She could not give a timeline for when the vaccine - which was licensed to AstraZeneca - might be ready, as it depends on the results of the trial.

As long as the Americans don’t buy up all the stocks of it as soon as it’s developed just as they have just done with the drug remdesiver after it was shown that it helped patients recovering from Covid. Selfish bastards. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

As long as the Americans don’t buy up all the stocks of it as soon as it’s developed just as they have just done with the drug remdesiver after it was shown that it helped patients recovering from Covid. Selfish bastards. 

That really could become a problem...how these vaccines are distributed. Some sort of international body needs to make sure fairly distributed.

2 hours ago, northernringo said:

Deaths just don't seem to be dropping in England. Case numbers still high.

Deaths can only be a reaction to infection rate. While infection rates continue to fall (supposedly) then a reactionary fall in deaths can be expected at some point.  It does seem the case that both infections, and therefore hospital admissions and deaths, are levelling out, but perhaps this is indicative of the pandemic in UK nearing its 'background' level, if that’s the right word? 

It could be that this current level of transmission, and impact from it, will be the best we can get, at least until  further advances in treatment, and ultimately a vaccine, are found. 

Edited by parsonjack

1 hour ago, Quark said:

So here's a question that the better informed on here may be able to answer.

If this produces a functioning and approved vaccine, we (and I mean the global we) have a pathway out of this nonsense.

Presumably AstraZeneca, like any company that produces stuff, has a finite capacity for manufacturing. In which case the distribution of said vaccine is inherently limited by their capacity.

So what then?  Would that licence allow other companies to produce the vaccine, at least temporarily to meet global demand? Would that be down to AZ to decide? And if so, what chance that the global population is stiffed by commercial gain?

Phase III. How many phases would we expect?

54 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Deaths can only be a reaction to infection rate. While infection rates continue to fall (supposedly) then a reactionary fall in deaths can be expected at some point.  It does seem the case that both infections, and therefore hospital admissions and deaths, are levelling out, but perhaps this is indicative of the pandemic in UK nearing its 'background' level, if that’s the right word? 

It could be that this current level of transmission, and impact from it, will be the best we can get, at least until  further advances in treatment, and ultimately a vaccine, are found. 

well...we're exiting lockdown...so going to get worse from here, right?

2 hours ago, Quark said:

So here's a question that the better informed on here may be able to answer.

If this produces a functioning and approved vaccine, we (and I mean the global we) have a pathway out of this nonsense.

Presumably AstraZeneca, like any company that produces stuff, has a finite capacity for manufacturing. In which case the distribution of said vaccine is inherently limited by their capacity.

So what then?  Would that licence allow other companies to produce the vaccine, at least temporarily to meet global demand? Would that be down to AZ to decide? And if so, what chance that the global population is stiffed by commercial gain?

As Zahidf already suggested, the EU has placed an order for 400m doses, US and Brazil already have deals in place too (as do the UK obviously!). AZ have further licensed it to an Indian company to produce 1 billion doses for India. Interestingly, all deals so far are at cost price (ie, not for profit), apparently at the insistence of the team from the Jenner. I’d expect further manufacturing deals should the vaccine prove useful. 

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...we're exiting lockdown...so going to get worse from here, right?

Hmm....who knows.  See my earlier post ref the fact that none of the areas that traditionally would have contributed to the beach invasions in the south west eg Birmingham, West Mids etc feature in at least the top 40 of the new 'hotspot' list when any spike in infections due to that should have exposed itself by now.

Just going slightly off topic I’ve just tried a mask with a filter on it ... it was way more comfortable and my glasses didn’t steam up one bit ... my dad had some stored in his garage from sars ... so I’ve not deprived anyone of it ... recommend if people can get hold of them 

image.jpg

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just going slightly off topic I’ve just tried a mask with a filter on it ... it was way more comfortable and my glasses didn’t steam up one bit ... my dad had some stored in his garage from sars ... so I’ve not deprived anyone of it ... recommend if people can get hold of them 

image.jpg

I don't mean to rain on your parade but you might want to check as some of these have an expiry date of some kind?

Edit - It might be ok. I found this - "N95 masks really don't expire in terms of their functionality. The only part that is subject to damage over time are the elastic bands that attach the mask to the user's face, which can be damaged by sunlight," Dr. John Balmes, professor of environmental health science at Berkeley Public Health, told Business Insider in an email.

Sorry for the fuss.

Edited by Ozanne