When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-bradford-and-london-boroughs-among-36-at-risk-areas-that-could-be-just-days-away-from-local-lockdowns-12018594
The 36 areas are:

Havering

Wiltshire

Wandsworth

Gloucestershire

Ealing

Hammersmith and Fulham

Doncaster

Plymouth

Barking and Dagenham

Westminster

Milton Keynes

Wakefield

Haringey

Medway

Hounslow

Brent

Harrow

Kensington and Chelsea

Slough

Suffolk

Redbridge

Sandwell

Enfield

Tower Hamlets

York

Sunderland

Wigan

Windsor and Maidenhead

Leicester

Gateshead

Isle of Wight

Richmond upon Thames

Portsmouth

Redcar and Cleveland

Derbyshire

Walsall

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Some of those areas seems to be in direct contradiction to the map posted by the BBC. 

York and Isle of Wight don’t have that many cases per 100,000 people based on BBCs information. 

This is why we need clarity on the testing data we’re being given if different media companies are interpreting it in different ways. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Some of those areas seems to be in direct contradiction to the map posted by the BBC. 

York and Isle of Wight don’t have that many cases per 100,000 people based on BBCs information. 

This is why we need clarity on the testing data we’re being given if different media companies are interpreting it in different ways. 

yeah, doesn't match...just going to lead to more confusion and stress.

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The 36 areas are: ...

hang on .... there can't be 36 areas which have had 10% each of the cases from the last week.

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

hang on .... there can't be 36 areas which have had 10% each of the cases from the last week.

They aren’t saying that there are, just those areas are at high risk of local lockdowns. I agree though more transparency over the testing and cases is very much needed. 

I still can’t get over the rage I’m feeling from Hunt’s interview with C4 yesterday when he stated that we should be moving to weekly testing of NHS and Care Home staff, despite voting against the bill in parliament only 6 days earlier. 
They are playing us for fools (very badly) and the best thing is that they couldn’t even give a shit could they?!

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-bradford-and-london-boroughs-among-36-at-risk-areas-that-could-be-just-days-away-from-local-lockdowns-12018594
The 36 areas are:

Havering

Wiltshire

Wandsworth

Gloucestershire

Ealing

Hammersmith and Fulham

Doncaster

Plymouth

Barking and Dagenham

Westminster

Milton Keynes

Wakefield

Haringey

Medway

Hounslow

Brent

Harrow

Kensington and Chelsea

Slough

Suffolk

Redbridge

Sandwell

Enfield

Tower Hamlets

York

Sunderland

Wigan

Windsor and Maidenhead

Leicester

Gateshead

Isle of Wight

Richmond upon Thames

Portsmouth

Redcar and Cleveland

Derbyshire

Walsall

Surely if there was any real risk at further lockdown to these areas it would be announced prior to Saturday? Would the government allow other businesses to open on the 4th to then shut them down again days later? 

Boris easily winning PMQs today from a general public point of view - everything he's saying will appeal to the majority of the country that wants things back to normal. "We're the builders they're the blockers" as his closing line against Labour, appealing to the "damn jocks" crowd by ridiculing the ideas about Scotland quarantining English people etc. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Boris easily winning PMQs today from a general public point of view - everything he's saying will appeal to the majority of the country that wants things back to normal. "We're the builders they're the blockers" as his closing line against Labour, appealing to the "damn jocks" crowd by ridiculing the ideas about Scotland quarantining English people etc. 

He hadn’t easily won it, it was more even today than it has been. Boris just didn’t have an answer for Starmers questions on pillar 2 of testing, the Leicester lockdown and people being contacted through tracing. His ranting at the end wasn’t really a victory of any kind. 

Edited by Ozanne

13 minutes ago, Chef said:

Surely if there was any real risk at further lockdown to these areas it would be announced prior to Saturday? Would the government allow other businesses to open on the 4th to then shut them down again days later? 

What’s going to matter more to Boris? Another U-Turn a few weeks down the line or massive public outcry this weekend if he makes the right call to stop businesses opening in areas still at risk. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Apparently the Portsmouth 'spike' is form 0 cases to 1. I wouldn't go automatically shitting yourself if you're in one of those cities without digging further.

Sky News is a fairly reputable source, I hope you aren’t trying to claim I should’ve done some digging before posting the article. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sky News is a fairly reputable source, I hope you aren’t trying to claim I should’ve done some digging before posting the article. 

Nope, was nothing personal and wasn't claiming that at all.

Whilst not contributing to this thread often I've been semi following it and appreciate that you seem to be sharing interesting and valid insight/data.

BUT I am questioning the methodology behind the categorisation of those 36 potential hotspots (which seem to have been reported in a wide spread of media). Some studies are using a % change in cases/admissions as a metric which is all well and good when numbers involved are high, but become statistically invalid when numbers are low as a change from 1 case to 2 will appear far more severe than a change of 50 cases to 90.

I think that the media in general (again not targeting your post/the sky article) has made a lot of money in worst case scenario without sharing methodology appropriately, or being selective about what they publish.

I hope this doesn't come across as me being flippant about the virus and how devastating it has been, will be an could be. I've taken government advice and will continue to do so, but the media distorting facts or sharing lists without proper context will continue to irk me and on occasion I will call it out. I due thing undue doom and anxiety should be avoided when appropriate but it is not an opinion shared by everyone.

Edited by Tommy101
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Apparently the Portsmouth 'spike' is form 0 cases to 1. I wouldn't go automatically shitting yourself if you're in one of those cities without digging further.

The media is suck a joke sometimes.  What is the point in inciting fear like this for no reason?  Is it just to sensationalise and cause panic to get more clicks?

7 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

The media is suck a joke sometimes.  What is the point in inciting fear like this for no reason?  Is it just to sensationalise and cause panic to get more clicks?

I think that list did originate from government, not the media making stuff up. But I think balanced statistical analysis would also consider stats similar to that shown in that map that @squirrelarmy posted on the previous page

DEEFA632-9ADF-4DEF-B062-46276911239D.thumb.jpeg.33f9020768924de10c10767aee6713f1.jpeg

There will be future localised outbreaks, and I think it's right to be concerned about those areas, an local lockdowns seem like a logical way of limiting them, but it really doesn't seem like the authorities have their ducks in a row about the data. The lag time, consistency and context concern me.

Edited by Tommy101