When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Don’t know the story as I’m not clicking the link ... but given the paper it’s fairly likely to be as much bollocks as the paper it’s written in !! 

some research, not peer reviewed, saying that strain of virus found in parts of Euope including UK, and N America, is 10x more infectious than original strain in China...but not more deadly.

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive just been looking at the wetherspoons social distancing rules .... no requirements to book .......looks like a free for all in my opinion .... not that I was heading there anyway ... meanwhile my hairdresser requires me to wear a bin bag and does actually have appointments available fairly soon ... unfortunately ive booked in with a friend so will stick to that as I thought the high street one wouldn't be available for several weeks ... and my affro is desperate 

4 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Can we all keep in mind how Wetherspoons have treated their staff, especially in the last 6 months when deciding where to spend our money next week please?

Fuck Wetherspoons. Why?

Brexit

Fucking staff over for profit. 

29 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Build build build, but it’s only really stuff we already promised in the election.

Bob the builder? No, Boris the prick.

80EE7F97-A972-4DB5-8D70-EA523AD3F706.jpeg.85899c8cd07e23f560281bbd192b9fc3.jpeg

Can he fuck it? Yes he can.

4 hours ago, gizmoman said:

So they have, that looks like some dodgy dealing to me! Looks like they did it to get out of the "inflexible leases" Wouldn't want to be an owner of retail space at the moment, things are going to get worse.

Do you have a pension? 

then you are probably a landlord if a lot of retail space. That’s why funds are moving into flats and housing to rent. 

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

Interesting thread on Tcells. Wouldn't mind your input on it toilet duck when you get a chance!

Prof Balloux neatly summarises where we are after 2 decent papers on this (one of them published in Cell). It’s an interesting observation and one that occurred to many as one of the reasons kids weren’t as susceptible to severe disease. We are now seeing solid scientific evidence for why this may be. The other interesting thing is that adults previously exposed to other coronaviruses appear to have cross immunity to this one. It certainly explains why about 80% of people have no serious symptoms and why many infected individuals have no symptoms at all. What it doesn’t mean is that we are closer to “herd immunity”. Far from it in fact, as having a t-cell repertoire that can fight off the infection doesn’t usually stop you from getting infected in the first place, in fact, this may be a major contributor to why the virus spreads so easily (lots of asymptomatic infected people). It would be an interesting study to prospectively collect blood from a population where the virus is spreading and look to see if there is a real correlation between disease severity and prior exposure to other coronaviruses once people actually get infected. The way the virus is spreading suggests that most of the population remains susceptible, but something has to explain the wide variation in symptoms experienced. This is as good an explanation as any so far (and better than most!).

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Prof Balloux neatly summarises where we are after 2 decent papers on this (one of them published in Cell). It’s an interesting observation and one that occurred to many as one of the reasons kids weren’t as susceptible to severe disease. We are now seeing solid scientific evidence for why this may be. The other interesting thing is that adults previously exposed to other coronaviruses appear to have cross immunity to this one. It certainly explains why about 80% of people have no serious symptoms and why many infected individuals have no symptoms at all. What it doesn’t mean is that we are closer to “herd immunity”. Far from it in fact, as having a t-cell repertoire that can fight off the infection doesn’t usually stop you from getting infected in the first place, in fact, this may be a major contributor to why the virus spreads so easily (lots of asymptomatic infected people). It would be an interesting study to prospectively collect blood from a population where the virus is spreading and look to see if there is a real correlation between disease severity and prior exposure to other coronaviruses once people actually get infected. The way the virus is spreading suggests that most of the population remains susceptible, but something has to explain the wide variation in symptoms experienced. This is as good an explanation as any so far (and better than most!).

Ah interesting, thanks for the input! Is that generally positive or negative going forward? 

I saw this which seems to say that new York had 20% of people with anti bodies. I wonder if London is similar in that regard

31 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ah interesting, thanks for the input! Is that generally positive or negative going forward? 

I saw this which seems to say that new York had 20% of people with anti bodies. I wonder if London is similar in that regard

Howdy,

I’m general, it’s positive, though we already knew that about 80% of cases were mild (this may just be a major reason why). It doesn’t mean that intervention is not required to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. It seems this virus is destined to become endemic now, so it is somewhat reassuring to know that most people have the potential to fight off the infection. It doesn’t change who would be considered high risk and who you would target with a vaccine. T-cell responses get weaker as you get older (they are made in the thymus, hence the name, which shrinks with age),  so generating a robust antibody response in older high risk populations probably still remains the primary focus of any vaccine in development (no mean feat since t-cells help you make antibodies!)...no data so far on how any of the vaccines perform in older populations. Early in this discussion I suggested more traditional vaccines may beat the newer ones to clinic, I still think this may be the case for older populations. The Chinese companies are making vaccines the old fashioned way, and they may turn out to give the best protection.

I know it seems like this has been happening for ages, but we really are still only at the end of the beginning here rather than the beginning of the end. More and more information is accumulated each day, there has been intense research on every aspect of this virus. All of this helps to prevent outbreaks and treat those who end up in hospital. While the median age of infection is drifting lower, outcomes for those previously considered high risk have improved a lot since the start, so the fatality rate is dropping now (even simple things like d-dimer tests on admission are picking up patients with clotting problems that were killing a lot of patients...now they can start on anti-coagulants early and it’s saving loads of people). There’s lots to be optimistic about, we’re just not completely out of the woods yet, 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Neil said:

Can he fuck it? Yes he can.

I read your posts and go to like them sometimes, then I realise it’s you that posted it and I can’t!

5 hours ago, zahidf said:

It’s about 17% of people in London have antibodies. 

Well it looks though we are having a review in Leicester on the 18th July which is longer than 2 weeks which is ok - but I picked the below comments from the BBC news website yesterday so same old, same old sh*tshow

‘Comprehensive information about these cases is not passed down to councils - or at least not in the detail they would like. It's like "having one arm held behind your back in a fight" was how one director of public health described it to me, adding: "You are up against it from the start." Essentially it means they cannot monitor all local cases to see what patterns are emerging.
Another weakness of the system appears to be a lack of translation services. Baroness Dido Harding, the head of test and trace, has said this is being invested in’

So, the contact tracers are phoning contacts who don’t speak the same language and asking them to self isolate - that’s going to work. Surely, this would have occurred to someone before the system was set up. Why is the detailed information not passed immediately down to local level? Sorry, to keep banging on about it but what is the point of the world beating track and trace system if it’s not acted on swiftly in a meaningful way

‘Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Leicester accounted for 10% of all positive cases in the country in the past week and that admissions to hospital are between six and 10 per day. But local data suggests that coronavirus patient numbers are in line with the rest of the country’

More lies/deflection - who knows?

We have also not being given full guidelines on exercise allowed, one person outside family allowed into garden for socially distant meeting etc etc. We personally have just gone back to the 23rd March rules to be on the safe side and responsible but lots haven’t - it definitely needs to be made crystal clear or what’s the point if we are all interpreting it in different ways

I really don’t mind continuing with lockdown if I am confident that it’s really making a difference and infection levels are going down. However, I have so little confidence in what we are told. I would like to see transparency on the pillar 2 figures, the actual true figures of who have been tested along with hospital admissions so I can be sure in my own mind that we are getting on top of this. What I am concerned about is they will vastly increase testing which will of course find more cases but this won’t be in context of the % of positive tests against the tests taken elsewhere - if this makes sense. This will make us look worse and we could end up in perpetual lockdown! As I cannot access this info (pillar 2 isn’t publicly available) I can’t be sure in my own mind what’s happening - as you can tell I have zero trust in the information given out so far along with the ongoing incompetence!

They will have to start being more transparent about the localised test data. It could be that with pillar2 test results included Leicester has a high enough number of cases to warrant extending the lockdown there...but they don't have full confidence in how accurate the pillar2 test results are so are reluctant to make them public as it will scare everyone and ruin saturday's big party where we can go and queue outside our local for a socially distanced pint.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

They will have to start being more transparent about the localised test data. It could be that with pillar2 test results included Leicester has a high enough number of cases to warrant extending the lockdown there...but they don't have full confidence in how accurate the pillar2 test results are so are reluctant to make them public as it will scare everyone and ruin saturday's big party where we can go and queue outside our local for a socially distanced pint.

I’ve just seen this image on the bbc this morning. Other parts of the country are in the same situation as Leicester. If Bradford goes into local lockdown then I won’t be going back to work any time soon. 

DEEFA632-9ADF-4DEF-B062-46276911239D.thumb.jpeg.33f9020768924de10c10767aee6713f1.jpeg