When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

From Graudian...

America’s leading public health expert Anthony Fauci has confirmed what the record figures are telling us – the US is sliding backwards on its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are going in the wrong direction,” Fauci just told the Senate.

Last week the US saw a new daily record of 40,000 new coronavirus cases in one day.

Fauci just said, in testimony before committee, that he fears that the rate will rise dramatically.

“I would not be surprised if we go up to 100,000 a day if this does not turn around.”

Fauci added about death and infection rates going forward: It’s going to be very disturbing … it could get really bad.”

Edited by steviewevie

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just been told at work that several businesses are putting in contingency plans for an expected lockdown in London in October. I guess due to the change in weather?

They are probably scared of Halloween 🎃 

35 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just been told at work that several businesses are putting in contingency plans for an expected lockdown in London in October. I guess due to the change in weather?

I wouldn't read too much into that as an expectation.  Most businesses will have reviewed BCDR plans and uplifted for such scenarios to simply be prepared.

Edited by parsonjack

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

U.K. figures for Tuesday 30th June.

351FB16D-C690-4D2F-9E53-FC45787290D3.jpeg

72AFFC1B-A835-42D0-95DB-2847697BBF5D.jpeg

F99C1C75-EC94-494F-9D37-15A193F162C9.jpeg

D99D2385-6CE9-4256-903D-F07A6406CB07.jpeg

Good to see the cases are dropping again but am I correct in thinking, from the previous posts, this is 'pillar 1'? So doesn't include 'pillar 2' which is basically the wider community?

I always assumed these daily case numbers were positive results from every single test carried out in the UK. Is that not the case? 

EDIT: Have just read that FT article and think I get it now. The numbers you have posted do include all cases, its the data broken down at a regional level when the pillar 2 stuff is missing. Seems an odd thing to do. Stop panic maybe? 

Edited by Chef

3 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Can we all keep in mind how Wetherspoons have treated their staff, especially in the last 6 months when deciding where to spend our money next week please?

I’d already started ‘boycotting’ them over Brexit. It’s a win-win situation really.

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Not for much longer I expect, they are on the verge of going bust,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53127083

Might be some bargains to be had if they are desperate to shift stock.

I read this as they had been saved for now ...

https://iclg.com/ibr/articles/13708-addleshaw-goddard-enlisted-by-jd-com-on-go-outdoors-repurchase

55 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

Good to see the cases are dropping again but am I correct in thinking, from the previous posts, this is 'pillar 1'? So doesn't include 'pillar 2' which is basically the wider community?

I always assumed these daily case numbers were positive results from every single test carried out in the UK. Is that not the case? 

EDIT: Have just read that FT article and think I get it now. The numbers you have posted do include all cases, its the data broken down at a regional level when the pillar 2 stuff is missing. Seems an odd thing to do. Stop panic maybe? 

I imagine it was to control the flow of information. If we see pillar 1 and think the numbers are small, we might be more inclined to go out and 'participate' in the economy (or "show some guts" in Boris speak). 

Have they just got found out by imposing a local lockdown with pillar 1 numbers that didnt look too bad and had to publish pillar 2 to justify it?

I really hope my understanding on this is wrong and that they arent trying to cover up true cases already...

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So they have, that looks like some dodgy dealing to me! Looks like they did it to get out of the "inflexible leases" Wouldn't want to be an owner of retail space at the moment, things are going to get worse.

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I imagine it was to control the flow of information. If we see pillar 1 and think the numbers are small, we might be more inclined to go out and 'participate' in the economy (or "show some guts" in Boris speak). 

Have they just got found out by imposing a local lockdown with pillar 1 numbers that didnt look too bad and had to publish pillar 2 to justify it?

I really hope my understanding on this is wrong and that they arent trying to cover up true cases already...

Maybe pillar2 are less reliable?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe pillar2 are less reliable?

I hope that's the case seeing that graph from Leicester. But if so they still used them to lock the place down. Would be interesting to see it for the rest of the country.

Biggest worry is if they're less reliable in that it doesnt catch all the positives...

46 minutes ago, Chef said:

Yeah this is total new cases, it’s basically the data they used to use in the briefings in a different format. 

Surely if Pillar 1 cases are still dropping that’s the main concern, as thats NHS testing at hospitals? Pillar 2 cases could be skewed by increased testing? And something going on in relation to the virus itself in terms of more people being asymptomatic etc within the community. That last part is just conjecture though, along the lines of what the Italian Doctor was claiming.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely if Pillar 1 cases are still dropping that’s the main concern, as thats NHS testing at hospitals? Pillar 2 cases could be skewed by increased testing? And something going on in relation to the virus itself in terms of more people being asymptomatic etc within the community. That last part is just conjecture though, along the lines of what the Italian Doctor was claiming.

Pillar 2 testing has only been rising in the last week or two so in the next week we should see rises in hospitals cases shouldn’t we?

Just now, Ozanne said:

Pillar 2 testing has only been rising in the last week or two so in the next week we should see rises in hospitals cases shouldn’t we?

Yeah I suppose, although isn’t that data in the tweet only up to June 19th? So they could already be rising in hospitals as well which they should have the data for.

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don't know, but it caused enough concern to keep Leicester in lockdown and dampen Boris's big build build build speech.

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah I suppose, although isn’t that data in the tweet only up to June 19th? So they could already be rising in hospitals as well which they should have the data for.

On Sky earlier they said in Leicester hospital they are getting 6-10 new admissions a day.