When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Cracks showing despite their stonking majority. 

I honestly think that they'll find they've done more damage to themselves than they realise at the moment.  They won that majority, whether we like it or not, on the basis of the whole "get brexit done" single issue slogan. 

Their inability to effectively manage anything since then, and particularly Johnson's constant blathering, has really laid bare the gaps in their competence for all to see. When an actual crisis that needs proper management from top to bottom has hit, they've been massively exposed.

The other thing that I think has really buggered them is the blindingly clear double standards over Cummings.  That strong core of Tory voters are the ones who'll have been dong the right thing and staying at home, missing seeing their children and grandchildren, all that kind of stuff.  And they know they've been taken for a ride. And they are pissed.

I'm basing that on a mixture of educated assumption and conversations with my Tory parents. They voted Boris on the basis of Brexit, and they feel like they've been taken for an absolute ride.  They loathe Hancock almost as much as Johnson.  I reckon they've alienated more of their voter base than they might realise.

Combine that with the more palatable Keir Starmer instead of Corbyn (regardless of your preference, Starmer will be able to appeal to the middle ground more) and who knows where we might end up?

• Upvote 2

Keir Starmer is calling for the government to hold a press conference today on the Leicester lockdown. He has said ‘they said they would reconvene press conferences when important, significant things happen, this is important and this is significant’.

Seems like a press conference with questions from local media to the area would be very beneficial. 

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive just been looking at the wetherspoons social distancing rules .... no requirements to book .......looks like a free for all in my opinion .... not that I was heading there anyway ... meanwhile my hairdresser requires me to wear a bin bag and does actually have appointments available fairly soon ... unfortunately ive booked in with a friend so will stick to that as I thought the high street one wouldn't be available for several weeks ... and my affro is desperate 

Just based on the pub apps I have on my phone it seems that both Greene King and Mitchells & Butlers pubs are doing bookings only. I used to work for M&B and an ex worked for Greene King so I know how the pub brands owned by these companies work.

Greene King run the largest number of pubs in the UK and don’t seem to be opening many pubs on the 4th instead they seem to be waiting until Monday instead based on my local. 

No mention of any booking on the Wetherspoons app and they will be open on the 4th.

I know where I won’t be. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just based on the pub apps I have on my phone it seems that both Greene King and Mitchells & Butlers pubs are doing bookings only. I used to work for M&B and an ex worked for Greene King so I know how the pub brands owned by these companies work.

Greene King run the largest number of pubs in the UK and don’t seem to be opening many pubs on the 4th instead they seem to be waiting until Monday instead based on my local. 

No mention of any booking on the Wetherspoons app and they will be open on the 4th.

I know where I won’t be. 

no booking required according to this .... ive seen no queuing system outside as yet ....https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/contact/faqs/covid19/uk-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no booking required according to this .... ive seen no queuing system outside as yet ....https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/contact/faqs/covid19/uk-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Could do with finding out if more Greene King pubs are delaying their opening until Monday. If the whole chain is doing that then there will be 3,600 less pubs open on the 4th which means way more desperate drinkers aiming for Spoons. I will not be surprised if there are videos of people camping overnight to make sure they’re the first through the doors. 

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Could do with finding out if more Greene King pubs are delaying their opening until Monday. If the whole chain is doing that then there will be 3,600 less pubs open on the 4th which means way more desperate drinkers aiming for Spoons. I will not be surprised if there are videos of people camping overnight to make sure they’re the first through the doors. 

The Greene King in my town is opening on Monday 6th as well with a booking system and all that.

3C72689C-56DB-4428-82D9-7BA40B439BD3.jpeg

33 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I know where I won’t be. 

No need to worry - there has been very little transmission in pubs (Tim Martin said so, remember?).

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Boris said that meant an economic recovery was dependent on reducing the spread of coronavirus. He went on:

What’s my plan, what’s my vision, for how we’re going to cope with Covid? I don’t want a world in the next year where we’re endlessly forced to stay metres apart from each other. That’s not going to work in the long term for the UK economy, for a great, dynamic service economy such as the one that we have. It won’t even work for a manufacturing economy such as the one that we have.

So we’ve got to get that disease down and return to normal life as fast as we possibly can.

There is only one way to "get the disease down" in the current situation and that's by implementing what Trump suggested and just not really testing for it. 

This speech sounds like the start of February Clark Kent one - with potentially as dangerous results 

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Can we all keep in mind how Wetherspoons have treated their staff, especially in the last 6 months when deciding where to spend our money next week please?

Absolutely ... it’s the last place I’d be heading ... for that and many other reasons 

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I’m just reading through the thread trying to make sense of it. If pillar 1 has been dropping but pillar 2 has been rising, could that be down to increased pillar 2 testing? It’s concerning that they’ve hidden those figures but equally I’d be expecting pillar 1 to go up in direct correlation.