When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

it's ok...Boris is going to do his usual upbeat bluster today promising to invest and spend and build and make this country great again...as if austerity is over or something.

In a year:

"We planned to spend all this money but it isnt there anymore...that evil EU demanded we protect our citizen's food standards, worker's rights and environmental standards. That was unacceptable to us so we had to walk away" 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

In a year:

"We planned to spend all this money but it isnt there anymore...that evil EU demanded we protect our citizen's food standards, worker's rights and environmental standards. That was unacceptable to us so we had to walk away" 

yeah, EU fault...and civil servants, and unions, and remainers, and etc.

30 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Thank you - have just seen it. We are within the red line 😔 

Strange that it doesn’t include all of Evington which has been noted as a ‘hotspot’. I could also walk to a pub on Saturday that is beyond the red line - not going to though - I suppose the border has to be placed somewhere and not everyone is going to be happy 

Sorry you're stuck as part of this - that sucks.

As someone from Leicester have you noticed any difference around this spike? I'm not sure how - perhaps know people testing positive, local rumors, know someone working in local healthcare? 

It all seems a bit vague in the media and I can't seem to glean too much information about what has happened, with multiple contradictory comments between national and local figures. I did read something suggesting this actually started some time ago (10 days?) and isn't actually a new issue from the last day or two? 

btw just to say. Cineworld and other cinemas delaying opening isn't to do with the local lockdown or UK cases, it's a reaction to release dates for tenet mulan and other blockbusters moving because of corona virus spikes in the US. 

Could cineworld delaying again if these local spikes happen else where

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's ok...Boris is going to do his usual upbeat bluster today promising to invest and spend and build and make this country great again...as if austerity is over or something.

By bringing back the same building programs the Tories cancelled when they got into power. 

There was a lot wrong with the last scheme, massive over spending where it wasn’t needed although the company who I worked for at the time did very well out of all the blank cheques the government seemed to be issuing. Two hospitals were rebuilt in my area one of which was partially closed only 9 months after opening and still hasn’t been brought up to the planned operating standards nearly 10 years later. 

I also got to work on the demolition and rebuilding of my old high school which was fun. 

Ultimately I was made redundant when the government pulled the plug on the scheme.  

Does anyone know the rules for travelling THROUGH Leicester city?

Me and my partner live in Nottingham, and my partners parents live in Leicestershire, in a village unaffected by the Leicester lockdown. So hypothetically, if we were to visit them could we travel through Leicester and go our normal route, or would it be best to go a longer way that avoid going through the city?

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Does anyone know the rules for travelling THROUGH Leicester city?

Me and my partner live in Nottingham, and my partners parents live in Leicestershire, in a village unaffected by the Leicester lockdown. So hypothetically, if we were to visit them could we travel through Leicester and go our normal route, or would it be best to go a longer way that avoid going through the city?

If you're in the car then I can't see why it would be an issue.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Chef said:

Sorry you're stuck as part of this - that sucks.

As someone from Leicester have you noticed any difference around this spike? I'm not sure how - perhaps know people testing positive, local rumors, know someone working in local healthcare? 

It all seems a bit vague in the media and I can't seem to glean too much information about what has happened, with multiple contradictory comments between national and local figures. I did read something suggesting this actually started some time ago (10 days?) and isn't actually a new issue from the last day or two? 

Can’t answer much - it’s as vague here! I don’t personally know anyone that is directly affected - the first time I picked it up was Matt Hancock daily briefing on the 18th/19th June saying Leicester was a ‘hotspot’ and I’ve been concerned ever since as to why they didn’t get onto it immediately. Who knows how far it spread since early June when it was first picked up

This is how a local lockdown in Australia is managed - so much clearer!

Just as a comparison it was announced in the last couple of hours that 36 suburbs in Victoria will be locked down.

In the same press conference we had all the details of what people would and wouldn’t be allowed to do and a full list of 36 postcodes affected. As well as how this would be policed. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/victoria-coronavirus-hotspot-local-lockdowns-in-melbourne/12407138

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Clearly some people do think we're back to normal - delivery driver just came right up to the door and handed me a parcel. 

I’ve noticed that a lot of the last couple of weeks. Even takeaway delivery drivers aren’t being as cautious as they were. The takeaways are still charging extra for delivery though. 

48 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Clearly some people do think we're back to normal - delivery driver just came right up to the door and handed me a parcel. 

We have had some doing that since the very start, to be fair.

What shocked me yesterday was the checkout worker at Tesco yesterday was casually eating a chocolate bar while scanning my shopping! Pretty relaxed.

Boris said that meant an economic recovery was dependent on reducing the spread of coronavirus. He went on:

What’s my plan, what’s my vision, for how we’re going to cope with Covid? I don’t want a world in the next year where we’re endlessly forced to stay metres apart from each other. That’s not going to work in the long term for the UK economy, for a great, dynamic service economy such as the one that we have. It won’t even work for a manufacturing economy such as the one that we have.

So we’ve got to get that disease down and return to normal life as fast as we possibly can.

1 hour ago, onthebeach said:

Can’t answer much - it’s as vague here! I don’t personally know anyone that is directly affected - the first time I picked it up was Matt Hancock daily briefing on the 18th/19th June saying Leicester was a ‘hotspot’ and I’ve been concerned ever since as to why they didn’t get onto it immediately. Who knows how far it spread since early June when it was first picked up

This is how a local lockdown in Australia is managed - so much clearer!

Just as a comparison it was announced in the last couple of hours that 36 suburbs in Victoria will be locked down.

In the same press conference we had all the details of what people would and wouldn’t be allowed to do and a full list of 36 postcodes affected. As well as how this would be policed. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/victoria-coronavirus-hotspot-local-lockdowns-in-melbourne/12407138

That's interesting - I hadn't realised Leicester was singled out that far back. 

Its just another example on the list of shambolic handling of this crisis. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Boris said that meant an economic recovery was dependent on reducing the spread of coronavirus. He went on:

What’s my plan, what’s my vision, for how we’re going to cope with Covid? I don’t want a world in the next year where we’re endlessly forced to stay metres apart from each other. That’s not going to work in the long term for the UK economy, for a great, dynamic service economy such as the one that we have. It won’t even work for a manufacturing economy such as the one that we have.

So we’ve got to get that disease down and return to normal life as fast as we possibly can.

I can hear Chris Wittys' heart racing from here. 

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

What’s a completely pointless statement that is. Of course we all want that, but it’s not possible at the moment. He’s so useless. 

ive just been looking at the wetherspoons social distancing rules .... no requirements to book .......looks like a free for all in my opinion .... not that I was heading there anyway ... meanwhile my hairdresser requires me to wear a bin bag and does actually have appointments available fairly soon ... unfortunately ive booked in with a friend so will stick to that as I thought the high street one wouldn't be available for several weeks ... and my affro is desperate