When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This isn’t an indication in the slightest of a second wave, read it, it says cases are three times higher than the next nearest region. It’s purely localised. 

Do you know where/if we can find tie new cases/death figures for local areas online, not the ONS ones but up to date current figures?

That is a pretty grim prospect for anyone trying to get back to normal but especially those business told to close again. I can't even begin to imagine what things are going to look like if this is the new normal everywhere, businesses don't stand a chance.

Anyone got any idea why this is such a big issue in Leicester? I did read the large Asian community are more likely to have multi generations living together which might be a factor? 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Do you know where/if we can find tie new cases/death figures for local areas online, not the ONS ones but up to date current figures?

I’m not sure exactly, it’s seems quite hard to find specific information. You can search on the Guardian by area though:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/29/coronavirus-uk-map-the-latest-deaths-and-confirmed-covid-19-cases

Edit: it’s just total cases though, so not much help for the here and now 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Chef said:

That is a pretty grim prospect for anyone trying to get back to normal but especially those business told to close again. I can't even begin to imagine what things are going to look like if this is the new normal everywhere, businesses don't stand a chance.

Anyone got any idea why this is such a big issue in Leicester? I did read the large Asian community are more likely to have multi generations living together which might be a factor? 

This does seem to be a factor...believe they said kids spreading it in schools is also an issue (Unions will have a field day)

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m not sure exactly, it’s seems quite hard to find specific information. You can search on the Guardian by area though:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/29/coronavirus-uk-map-the-latest-deaths-and-confirmed-covid-19-cases

Edit: it’s just total cases though, so not much help for the here and now 

I came to the same place, it must be somewhere. Thanks though.

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

From The Guardian:

The city’s public health director has also raised concerns about the level of information that has been provided to the council to help them pinpoint what has led to the surge in cases.

Ivan Browne told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “Interestingly it’s very much around the younger working-age population and predominately towards the east part of our city.

“I don’t think at the moment we’re seeing a single cause or a single smoking gun on this so we need to really try to dig down and find out what is going on, and it’s likely to be a combination of factors.

“Information has been challenging all the way through this. It has definitely been challenging and I think as director of public health we have really been pushing for some time to ask for as complete a data set as possible because that’s how we can really effectively start to challenge these things on the ground.”

TLDR: They don't know.

From the BBC:

”Dr Manish Pareek, a consultant at Leicester Royal Infirmary, said recent cases of Covid-19 he had seen were from "inner-city areas which have high levels of ethnic diversity, pockets of deprivation but also quite crowded housing with inter-generational and multi-occupancy households".

These factors "are almost like a perfect storm for a virus to be spread within," he added.”

I don’t think it’s down to ethnicity alone. There are a couple of Yorkshire towns and cities at risk of being locked down. Wakefield just to the south of Leeds has one of the smallest proportions of ethnic minorities yet is in danger of being locked down while Bradford which is a hugely multi cultural city seems to be handling the situation much better. Hull has a large Eastern European population and is on the risk list but it is also a major port which has to be a contributing factor. York has a large Chinese population but is a hugely popular tourist destination so that explains why they have had higher than average cases. 

Sick of all the speculation about second waves.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but the way it's dragging on I can't see festivals going ahead next year at this rate :( Really getting to my mental health now. There's literally no end in sight. If there was no such thing as COVID in the media the amount of cases and deaths wouldn't even be public knowledge. Come winter everyone will be saying it's COVID-19, the same as they do now when they have a cold and say it's the Flu.

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

if you live somewhere under a local lockdown you can just drive somewhere without a lockdown, right?

This is all just ‘recommendations’ for the public anyway. The shops are forced to shut but the government can’t order people to stay at home anymore. 

Edited by Ozanne

27 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I haven't watched it myself but sounds from what I've read like Panorama has exposed our testing system to be an absolute shambles...

Nothing seems to have happened after any of these lockdown Panoramas. I guess when a PM doesn’t answer questions, that’s no surprise.

Edited by Ryan1984

On 6/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, onthebeach said:

I live in Leicester and I was concerned when it was mentioned yesterday as it was news to me and I’m keeping well up to date with local, national and global events regarding Coronavirus - it was though Mat Hancock was wanting to show they are on top of the situation. and it’s all under control. I should have known, with the sh*itshow our government have been over this whole crisis that it doesn’t seem to be the case. Today our local newspaper reported the below after our Mayor had been in touch with Mat Hancock. It looks though we haven’t got basic info on postcodes etc to take appropriate action and we should get it early next week! So much for urgent track and trace

I despair .....

Well ..... some 3-4 weeks since the reported cases were rising we are now in the original lockdown which includes closing non essential shops, non essential travel from tomorrow with the closing of schools on Thursday. No pubs/restaurants/hairdressers opening on Saturday. All until further notice. Why the hell they couldn’t have done something earlier when it was first known and it could have been more targeted to individual work areas/shops/factories streets etc and not a blanket restriction on the whole city/county.

What’s the point of this ‘brilliant’ track and trace system if it just collates figures but doesn’t use the data immediately to stamp out/dampen down the infection. No - just let it spread further.

I don’t know whether it’s sheer incompetence or part of some herd immunity (Cummings) plan? Which one is worst though?

We don’t know if we are back to one exercise a day/can we still visit relatives in gardens if socially distant etc etc - no clarity as usual. We had camping booked for next week - presume this is off - or is it just guidelines. Can we cross county lines for a drink? Will we get fined - who will police this? Who knows? So many questions!

Sorry to rant - just pi**ed off at the moment as we have been sticking to all the rules and now back to square one with no clarity/info when all this could have been handled so much better weeks ago. 

I still despair....

Edited by onthebeach
Wrong day