When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

26 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

@Toilet Duck - is this as potentially good news as it sounds?

It’s certainly interesting and backs up a study published in Cell a short while ago. There definitely appears to be cross reactivity with other coronaviruses in how our immune systems recognise them. Whether this explains disease severity, or indeed susceptibility, is not known yet though. Another interesting observation in this study is that the t-cell response is there in those who don’t have any antibodies (but definitely had the disease). Still learning, but these types of studies all add to the mix!

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Frontline staff for sure, and normally, high risk groups would also be first in line. How well any of the vaccines work in this group is still unknown though.

Do you think they'll bother giving any of the Oxford vaccine to younger people without health conditions if it really does only protect against disease and not infectiousness (infectivity? :) )?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you think they'll bother giving any of the Oxford vaccine to younger people without health conditions if it really does only protect against disease and not infectiousness (infectivity? :) )?

I think we’ll have to see how the vaccine performs in the trial. Based on how it is set up, they still think it can be protective. In a real world exposure, it’s entirely possible that it might be protective at lower viral loads than those used in the pre-clinical challenge experiments. I think they are also looking at repeated doses. If after all that it turns out to only protect from severe disease, then they’ll need to see how it performs in high risk populations (most volunteers are 18-55, which would be low risk anyway). My guess is if there’s any efficacy signal in the trial and the safety data is sound, they’ll use it for high risk groups and if it’s not protective there, it offers a safer route to “herd immunity” by giving it to younger, low risk populations. Some of the other vaccines are progressing as well, so other options will hopefully be available.

What do people make of the whole Leicester thing? Seems a bit weird to me. I heard the mayor (I think?) on the news earlier saying that they only had more cases because they had more testing and so by that rationale they shouldn't ease the lockdown anywhere as we would all be in the same boat. Don't know what to think really.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What do people make of the whole Leicester thing? Seems a bit weird to me. I heard the mayor (I think?) on the news earlier saying that they only had more cases because they had more testing and so by that rationale they shouldn't ease the lockdown anywhere as we would all be in the same boat. Don't know what to think really.

I heard that hospital admissions hadn't gone up there either so probably just an increase in testing picking up those who are asymptomatic

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't know...I think this is bound to happen isn't it? It's not as if the virus has disappeared or anything. When we start lifitng lockdown, the virus will start to spread again...it's how good our test and trace set up is.

29 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I heard that hospital admissions hadn't gone up there either so probably just an increase in testing picking up those who are asymptomatic

It’s a bit like the Weston general outbreak down here. There was mass hysteria that it was a second wave despite the fact North Somerset had only had 190 cases period. We’d not even had a first wave. The infection was contained at the Hosptial but the increase in testing and tracking meant cases doubled over all to 400 by end of May. So with a very low number to begin with the R value hit 0-8-1.1.. but it was all contained, traced and in June weve had 28 cases in total and R level down to 0.6.  

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I need someone to explain this to me because how does this work at all.

Is this just an indication that the second wave is here?

This just means that in Leicester cases are up considerably compared to the next highest area, same for hospital admissions. ON the whole cases for the UK are dropping, it's just a localised rise. I know it's tough but I don't think this is anything to worry about.

They most definitely won't cancel July 4th relations of lockdowns elsewhere.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is that a big thing in Leicester?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-local-lockdown-imposed-leicester-22271719?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Matt Hancock, announced non-essential retail which opened on June 15 must shut from tomorrow in East Midlands city.

And primary schools which opened to some pupils from June 1 must once again close to all but the most vulnerable, or children of key workers, from Thursday.

The drastic measures - which also apply to surrounding areas including Oadby, Birstall and Glenfield - have no fixed end date and will be only reviewed in two weeks' time.