When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

Is there any need to hate Israel for the actions of US cops?

I don't reckon there is, so perhaps you should ask yourself why anyone would want to deflect things in that way, and where that sort of narrative might have originated.

Nope - as Amnesty International have made clear, there was absolutely no reason to blame that US cop's neck-kneeling technique on some fictitious Israeli Security Forces 'how to kill arrestees' toolbox-talk.  It was a bullshit, fake-news story that people like myself fell for.  (I didn't actually - the first I heard of it was when it hit the news and had already been debunked.)

I do ask myself why the troll that invented that story would have wanted to deflect things that way, and I'm pretty sure it's because they hate Israel, and no, I wouldn't be surprised if they were anti-semitic into the bargain.  The fake story itself wasn't antisemitic though - it was a slur against the Israeli security forces.  Willingness to believe this fake story only exposes hatred and prejudice towards those security forces, which I hold my hands up to, but says nothing about hatred of the Jewish people.  If Long-Bailey had fallen for a fake story about the religious beliefs, cultural practices or moral rectitude of Jewish people, then that would set alarm bells ringing about whatever unconscious biases she was harbouring and I'd be getting ready to call her out for antisemitism.

Cummings...I mean wtf. Is he really running the show? Is he considered some sort of genius because he did some focus groups in pubs and all those jolly little englanders said they love the NHS, but they don't like immigration, and they don't like musims...and hey presto the leave referendum campaign...some bullshit about extra cash for the NHS, and some more bullshit about taking back control and muslims coming here from Turkey. The bloke is a twat, and now he appears to be running the country. I predict it won't end well.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

With the race debate having become so explosive over the past few weeks, I was feeling pretty clever that I've so far managed to get away with slating the Israeli State on here without actually being accused of antisemitism.  And then I saw that Guardian article with the tower blocks plastered in bloody great posters of Netanyahu and Trump celebrating their 'peace plan' and realised: they just make it way too easy for me.

13 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Boris Johnson says people are taking too many liberties in relation to packed beaches etc. He wasn’t saying that when Cummings breached lockdown or when Jenrick did the same. Hypocrite. 

I thought this too, as did quite a I suspect. Unbelievable but completely expected (unfortunately). 

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

This is the first time a Labour leader has led on the 'Best PM' question since 2007.

I genuinely believe this is deliberate. There's no way you lose a lead that big without it being on purpose. Either to let someone else deal with brexit or the virus or they have knowledge of much more imminent climate issues that make political things pale in comparison. No chance they're that incompetent 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I genuinely believe this is deliberate. There's no way you lose a lead that big without it being on purpose. Either to let someone else deal with brexit or the virus or they have knowledge of much more imminent climate issues that make political things pale in comparison. No chance they're that incompetent 

Nah...Johnson was always a big risk...and this pandemic came along at just at the wrong time for him when he had hardly got used to the job. MPs backed him because he was popular with the public, but I think they knew he was lazy and crap. He was a terrible foreign secretary, and Gove knew he was shit which is why he didn't back Johnson to be PM after the referendum and even put his own name into the hat. And now we're stuck with him, and Cummings who Johnson relies on totally it seems.
I think brexit will end up being a compromise...we'll stick with EU rules for trade, but there will be some fudge to say we can diverge if strike other deals..but then EU can impose tarrifs, which will probably hurt us more than any benefit from any other deals.  And then we'll be stuck in some sort of never ending tussle whether to remain close to EU or not.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

With the race debate having become so explosive over the past few weeks, I was feeling pretty clever that I've so far managed to get away with slating the Israeli State on here without actually being accused of antisemitism.

As has been pointed out to you already, there's plenty of good reasons to slate the Israeli state.

As yet tho you haven't said why you think it's OK to slate the israeli state for US cops killing blacks.

Want to have a go?

And if you struggle, perhaps you need to think a little more about things.

Edited by Neil

1 hour ago, Neil said:

As has been pointed out to you already, there's plenty of good reasons to slate the Israeli state.

As yet tho you haven't said why you think it's OK to slate the israeli state for US cops killing blacks.

Want to have a go?

I think the point he'll make is it is wrong, but it is not antisemitic because it is about Israel, not Jews. This is how the argument is being played out indefinitely. Israel is the problem, but I have no problems with jews, especially the funny ones...although some do not get english irony etc etc forever.

Encouraging thing about that particular poll is that it's now Keir gaining points, not Boris losing them. He needs people enthusiastic about him, not just turned off from Boris. That could be Biden's major pitfall. We need opposition leaders that are really whipping up support, rather than just being the alternative from someone horrible.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Encouraging thing about that particular poll is that it's now Keir gaining points, not Boris losing them. He needs people enthusiastic about him, not just turned off from Boris. That could be Biden's major pitfall. We need opposition leaders that are really whipping up support, rather than just being the alternative from someone horrible.

Exactly this. I think we really need Keir to start expressing policy, not just a case of being better than the other guy. 

On 6/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, onthebeach said:

On 6/19/2020 at 1:28 PM, parsonjack said:

25% of Leicester's 2494 cases being reported in last 2 weeks sounds like f*cking 'outbreak' to me I'm afraid. 

Call it a 'surge' if you want but.....

I live in Leicester and I was concerned when it was mentioned yesterday as it was news to me and I’m keeping well up to date with local, national and global events regarding Coronavirus - it was though Mat Hancock was wanting to show they are on top of the situation. and it’s all under control. I should have known, with the sh*itshow our government have been over this whole crisis that it doesn’t seem to be the case. Today our local newspaper reported the below after our Mayor had been in touch with Mat Hancock. It looks though we haven’t got basic info on postcodes etc to take appropriate action and we should get it early next week! So much for urgent track and trace

I despair .....

Well, some 9 days since I posted this, it looks like some notice is being taken. It’s now on the front page of the Sunday Times and on BBC news/Andrew Marr show this morning.

What I’m so shocked about is that the detailed info regarding specific details on cases has only just been received by Leicester council in the last few days - this increase in cases goes back to the first two weeks in June! Who knows how worse it is now.

Whats the point of having a ‘world beating’ track and trace system if the response is so slow. How can we manage this going forward if we don’t get on top of it immediately - which I thought the point of all the testing was.

I still despair...

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Want to have a go?

Go back and look at my answer when you asked that question on the previous page. I unequivocally stated that the allegation was bullshit, made by someone who hated Israel and was probably an antisemite.

How have you interpreted that as me deeming it okay to use this fake story to criticise Israel?  You've got confused by my earlier honest acceptance of having an 'entrenched and blinkered' bias against the Israeli state. That's not because of this neck-kneeling story. If you still want me to explain my bias, can you let me knew whether you'd be happy for me to post photos on here which many will find upsetting.

And StevieWevie - I appreciate you answering questions for me by paraphrasing what you think I've said in previous pages.  However, I can't help bring a little concerned about this as I'm worried you'll make one of your little racist gags, which we've all been enjoying so much throughout this discussion, but then attribute it to me.

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Boris is and always will be a complete shyster. None of this is surprising. He’s an opportunist, with no clear plan or ideology apart from acquiring power. He’s a serial liar and racist. He looks incompetent because he is incompetent.